More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have the chance to trade with a PR7 site. Its link pages however, have PR0. Should I trade?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It depends on how many links are going to that PR0 page from the PR7 page and how well it's positioned in the site. Personally I'm not going for PR exchanges anymore. If I do a link exchange, it'll be with somebody who can offer me their own traffic and I'll offer mine in return. Google doesn't seem to appreciate link exchanges with sites that don't generate their own traffic.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd trade, unless there's a robots.txt or meta tags that are preventing the links pages from being indexed.

Since Google takes forever to update PR in the toolbar, it's hard to say if the links pages are really being considered as PR0 or not.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies! Good advice in looking for robots.txt - they may be looking for one-way links.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Forget the robots.txt test; they could have it set up to show no robots.txt at all. The criteria should be how many pages on the PR7 site link into the links pages. Also, is this a link directory where you might find your link six levels down from the main links page.

Personally, I don't reciprocal link with sites that have that one tiny link to their links directory at the bottom of the homepage. If you want a link from me, give me something worthwhile in return or f**k off.

Mark,

You seem to be having issue with your keyboard. The tail end of your last sentence has some kind of a character error in it. Could you please repeat that last sentence.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    I think the word mark is stmbling over is "firetruck", although why you would want to tell someone to "firetruck off" is beyond me.

Woz

I would trade unless something doesn't look right.

PR is only google, you might be missing out on a link from a site that could give a big boost on Yahoo or MSN.

Woz,

Firetruck... that's it! I must admit, I've never heard that one before. Those Brits are so crazy, first Monty Python... now this. What will they think of next?

Poor Mark... it's about 2am right now in merry old England. He's sleeping soundly while we poke fun. We should stop... really.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Forget the robots.txt test; they could have it set up to show no robots.txt at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've read quite a few posts from people who found just that--a robots.txt that bans the SEs from ever seeing their links page. Also I've seen some that say they've seen the NOINDEX/NOFOLLOW metatags on links pages.

Sure there's other PR-hogging tricks, but I don't think it's a waste of time to check for the obvious as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Personally, I don't reciprocal link with sites that have that one tiny link to their links directory at the bottom of the homepage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you expect sites to do, something like plaster a big ad to their links page all over??

Other than SEs, whose business IS their links, I would hardly expect a site to make a link directory much more obvious than that, especially if they're trying to sell things.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

When considering whether it is worth the time looking for sites to link to, consider whether the end result will accomplish the desired affect. Read this article.

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderrep...Relevance.html

Gene
    TCS

Hi,

I run a kitchen gadgets web site. I use standard HTML pages and will quite happily exchange links with people that ask..providing my link is not on a SE blocked page.

The link to my links page is at the bottom of every page. As Leader said...I sell things..it's not my main purpose to direct traffic AWAY from my site.

But the link page can be found easily from every page by humans and SE's.

So Mark..get back in bed and get out on the right side again !!

Malc - Kitchen Gadgets UK and USA shipping
    Adverts

I am starting a directory of affilates who sell unique products via mail order. I am doing this because there are a lot of sites and unique products out there that are hard to find. I know Leader frowns on this. I don't even want link backs, just unique products that you can order via mail order.
    http://www.mailordering.com/affilates.html

Oooh..I saw my store...lol

Thanks for that...and you're right..nothing underhand about my trading standards.

Just getting into shipping to the US...certain things I can't send...like salt mills..because they contain food funny enuff but have had a few orders for Smart Cafe Hot Mugs and stuff.

Anyway..enuff self promoting...this is not the thread for that.

Malc
    Adverts

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    I have the chance to trade with a PR7 site. Its link pages however, have PR0. Should I trade? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure that the links page is actually linked to from somwhere, best of course from the index page.
    I frequently get link exchange offers from sites with a links page that is not linked to, which of course does about the same as an excluding robots.txt ...

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread