Somebody noticed the Google index has double to 8 billion. Where it was standing on 4b for a long long time.

Google Index Doubles to more than 8 billion pages.

No wonder more pages are indexed.

Maybe getting ready for msn.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I wish Goolge would fall in love with my pages...

I did notice 180000 hits from google on my largest site... real unsual... as google normally only looks at 3 or 4 pages per visit...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Google loves my site accordng to my stats there are 15 Google bots spidering right now. They visit every day.

But I did notice something odd yesterday. Thier news bot respidered all of my news post for the past 3 months which is weird. They normally just spider once an hour and only take new articles.

Ya they doubled alright - doubled my page count and 100's of other peoples, too - problem being there is no way I have that many or have ever generated the number they are showing....

ABW Ambassador
    Is it only me who can't see any significant ranking changes as a result of this increase in pages ?

Yah I see it - I am down by 99.5% traffic now instead of the 90% drop I got hit with on Sept 23.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abigail:
    Yah I see it - I am down by 99.5% traffic now instead of the 90% drop I got hit with on Sept 23..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, me too! On Sept 23 my best site basically disappeared from the top 10 listings with Google. Now we are buried in the dungeon. And to think I have been saying for years "Google really loves me", but not any more. I have lost 99.9% of my traffic now. Oh woe is me....
    Arizona Deb
    [URL=http://www.azwoodman.com/]azWoodman.com[/URL]

I'm still slightly down from the big drop back at the beginning of August, but things have improved. One site has almost fully recovered, but not because of Google, mostly due to return traffic. I keep saying this over and over that you can't rely on Google for traffic if you're going to be serious about this business. You need to maintain your own set of loyal customers through newsletters and customized features. IMO it's the only way to go. Collect opt-in email addresses through Adwords campaigns and offer customized newsletters if you want to stop worrying about Google.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I've seen this, too, but only a 55% drop. Unfortunatley I would normally expect a 50% traffic increase for this time of the year. Some of my product pages dropped out of the top 10 but, major pages (home page & top category pages) remained in top positions. On pages where I dropped I noticed a lot of the old established brand name stores moving up and ahead of me. I'm seeing ebates ranking high on all of those pages where I've never seen them before.
    ~Ernie

ABW Ambassador
    I've seen virtually no changes at all in the SERP's for weeks - at least those I watch, compete in and use frequently.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    Is it only me who can't see any significant ranking changes as a result of this increase in pages ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not noticed anything significant either. Must all be happening somewhere else..

It is clear that Google has been adding pages to its index over the past year - the last publicly reporting index size was 4B pages.

Given that the doubling has happened gradually over the last year, I'm not surprised that a lot of us are not seeing dramatic changes "all of a sudden".

The 8B pages press release is Google trying to steal some of MSN Search's thunder.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread