More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have a domain that a merchant no longer will allow me to use due to a certain word in the domain (long story). I still wish to work with the merchant with another domain and remove all links from the domain in question.

Rather than just delete pages, I would like to do html redirects by adding <meta HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="5; URL=http:MYNEWURL.com"> in the head. How can I do this without search engine penalty?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I wonder if it would be better to do a mod_rewrite rule to redirect them ?

I'd post the code but I'm not exactly an expert at it.

Cheesehead,
    Have you tried a .htaccess redirect?
    If you have access to your control panel, C-Panel it's not too difficult.

This will redirect the page on the server side, rather than the client side, so the robots won't have an indexing issue.

If you can get to your CPanel, there's a section in the index that deals with .htaccess redirects.

Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Rick, yes I can do a redirect at my server. I am assuming Google and other SE's won't have a problem with this? I will also be adding a robot no index to these pages so they will not be indexed after a month or two. The purpose here is to send existing traffic to a new site for these specific pages only. The remainder of the site will not be redirected however.

Thanks for your help!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Cheesehead-
    It's my understanding that a .htaccess redirect won't hurt your standings, there's one guy (dang, what was his name...) who creates a website or three, and buys expiring domain names that are still active in page links.
    He then redirects the old domain names to his new websites and takes advantage of the backlinks to build a high PR.

But the new scuttlebutt is that Google is wise to this tactic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Web-sites that have expired whois records will no longer be able to continue their PageRank® according to GoogleGuy from (Google.com). Googleguy has said "One resulting improvement with this index is better handling of expired domains--the authority for a domain will be reset when a domain expires, even though dangling links to the expired domain are still out on the web. We'll be rolling this change in over the next few months..."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That being said, I don't believe the other SE's are taking such measures.
    Either way, since you own the domain name and are doing a redirect to another, I don't believe you have anything to worry about on that point.

BUT, (and this is a biggie) I don't think you should use a robots.text noindex/nofollow exclusion because you have spent time and have a PR for the old domain, right? You probably have customers and regulars who have bookmarked the old site, so you want to keep it active. Plus the old website is cached by Google and other SE's.

If you use a noindex/nofollow exclusion you're pretty much "killing" your old domain to the extent that the robots won't re-index your site.

What I would do, is place a link from the old website to the new, so the robots will follow it. And your new website will benefit from being linked from a website with a higher PR. If you feel the need to disable some of the other links to please the merchant, then do so.

But I don't think you'll want to "start from scratch" to build or reindex a new website without taking advantage of the PR and listings that you've already established with the old.

If worst comes to worst, you can always include a robots.txt file to have the robots exclude certain pages on the old website.

Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread