ABW Ambassador
    I always see this in various forums. So just wanted to see what others thought. Rumor or Real? What are you seeing? Some affiliates have nice Yahoo listings but are afraid to put Adsense on them because of this fear. Is it a real fear or a perceived fear that can keep them from making some of that Adsense money?

I have it only on 1 site for awhile now and still have nice Yahoo listings. I see other top sites in Yahoo with Adsense splashed all over them. So for me it's a rumor.

Are you kidding me asking this question?

See my post about my site missing from yahoo.
    Thanks,
    Doug

ABW Ambassador
    That's why i started this thread

There are lots of reasons why Yahoo would drop a site. I wanted to know if people thought Adsense specifically could be the reason. Rumor or Real?

Ok got it thought it was just coinsidence. heheh
    Thanks,
    Doug

Internet Cowboy
    I haven't noticed this at all.
    My opinion is that when we get dumped from a search engine, or even when we get accelerated in the rankings, we always look back at the last few things we did and attribute our movement (either up or down) to that.
    I have recently increased Adsense on many pages with poorly converting merchants and am still enjoying nice placement while increasing revenues from those once useless pages.

Tell you what if it does hurt or site or pages are dumped. Time for a CAL based on freedom of speech. The have the right to try to insure relateted site are ranked in a search but to disallow sites based on legit content seems to really be wrong.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Schoaz - My site is missing completely from yahoo. Only the domain.com is there. That ti mee is different from a ranking change.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Mine is gone too only the domain is there. Over 500 pages gone
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate Manager
    total coincidence!!!
    All my sites have adsense on them, and they do better on yahoo and msn than ever before!!!
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

ABW Ambassador
    Adsense has no bearing whatsoever on how a site gets ranked in Yahoo.

On the other hand, if a site happens to fall under manual scrutiny, the presence of Adsense panels may certainly save an already anti-affiliate biased editor's time

I have about 4k pages gone. I really hope this is a 24 hr thing!
    Thanks,
    Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chief_Beef:
    Adsense has no bearing whatsoever on how a site gets ranked in Yahoo.

On the other hand, if a site happens to fall under manual scrutiny, the presence of Adsense panels may certainly save an already anti-affiliate biased editor's time <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree. I had one of my sites manually removed and while I did have AdSense on there, I think they saw me as an affiliate more than anything. Now that my site is much better established and more useful I've got my index page in Yahoo. One page indexed doesn't help much, but it's nice to see Yahoo recognizes me again. Generally I don't get much traffic from Yahoo, but I'm sure it's not because of AdSense.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think we need to clarify whether we are speaking of the Yahoo Directory or simply the Yahoo Search Engine.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    One of the people I respect most insists that Yahoo hits affiliate/Adsense sites, but that hasn't been my experience at all.

Tell you what though, imho Yahoo and Google aren't overly fond of duplicate content, which can be far more of a problem than adsense with some affiliate sites. And it's my impression that Yahoo will zap sites faster than you can blink if there's what they consider unsavory brought to their attention.

By in large, they are trying to create an index of unique and relevant content. My opinion is that if you have a site about birds and offer a ton of information about birds and link out using adsense to other bird related sites, you are going to stay in the searches and rank well, hand indexed or not.

However, if you have a link farm or target pages that have limited info and just click to go here or click to go there and have the adsense on there, then they are going to identify you as not providing relevant content to your users.

Ask yourself this: If I was a bird enthusiast and typed in birds in the search engine, would I be happy if they found my site. That is the primary thing that Yahoo, Google and any other self-maintained search engine is going to try to achieve.

But keep in mind, that is just my opinion and opinions are like well, let's just say everyone has one.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ask yourself this: If I was a bird enthusiast and typed in birds in the search engine, would I be happy if they found my site. That is the primary thing that Yahoo, Google and any other self-maintained search engine is going to try to achieve. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on what I was after. If I wondered, "should I buy a parakeet or a parrot?" I would want a whole different kind of site to come up than if I wanted, for instance, a "10lb sack of bird food."

From my observation, on sites where I have both products and information sections--the people who come to one section never even look at the other. Those who want products aren't there to be educated! And those who want to satisfy their curiosity about something won't buy sh**.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    From my observation, on sites where I have both products and information sections--the people who come to one section never even look at the other. Those who want products aren't there to be educated! And those who want to satisfy their curiosity about something won't buy sh**.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree!

And based on my own experience, the second part that I made bold, is the one that counts.

Take this as an example:

If I have a luggage site and on that luggage site, I have two sections:

On one side, I try to sell luggage and on the other one, I try to tell the people how to pack a suitcase, how to clean the wheels of a wheeled Uprights Pullmans or something like; the Cellular Memory Frame of the Uprights Pullmans will last a long time, etc......

On my sales page, I want my visitors that get to my page by a link on a search engine, to see the picture of that luggage, a small description of that particular luggage and to click on the BUY link or more info link, to go to the merchant site and hopefully buy any luggage once they get to the merchant site so I can earn my commission on that sale.

On my content page about luggage, I know that I may not get many sales but, I may make a content page about luggage, just to rank better on the search engines, increase the popularity of that luggage site, throw a couple of links to a luggage merchant site and hope that someone might just click and buy a piece of luggage on the spot or at least, have my cookie (something that I no longer trust) in there just in case they decide to buy later.

I know that most of the search engines have a crap listing now for listing the right stuff that we all people, marketers and consumers are looking for at the time that we decide to do a search for something specific on the web, but I am glad that they're doing a clean-up on the pages they list and on the order they list it.

Those that got nothing to hide, have nothing to fear.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    My site, which uses AdSense, is still in Yahoo. Still getting the same results, too - which is so,so.

Problem I have on my site is that Yahoo only indexes part of the site - about half of a 4000 page site. And it has been incredibly slow at picking up new pages that are found fairly deep down in my site. In stark contrast to Google, which usually has new pages of my site up in their index in a matter or 2-3 weeks now.

Oh, and I should add, the site is primarily a content site and the pages Yahoo is very slow to pick up are the "pure" content pages, somewhat surprisingly. And duplicate content is not an issue on these pages - since the content is truly unique.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    From my observation, on sites where I have both products and information sections--the people who come to one section never even look at the other. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you fully. However, my opinion is that Yahoo and Google are more interested in catering to the information gatherers with their results.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year or two, they begin segmenting the results by info only and ability to purchase something. Not that I am being a "chicken little", I just see a trend toward clearing out the garbage spammy sites and pushing the content sites to the top and the commerce sites fall somewhere in the middle. I could of course be giving them entirely too much credit for a strategy on their search results plan.
    Chris Mayr

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

Hi all,
    In one Hand I agree with Cmayr23 and I think that they will have the content site at the top of search engines, but dont forget one thing.
    They are not non-profitable companies, and commerce websites are their best revenue makers.

cheers,
    [left][b]Sebastien Boyer[/b][/left]
    [left]Affiliate program manager[/left]
    [left]MedExpress Benefits Inc [/left]
    [left]email:affiliates@medexpressbenefits.com[/left][left][indent][i]MedExpress is leading the way in providing discounts on the Highest quality Healthcare.[/i] [url="http://www.medexpressbenefits.com"]http://www.medexpressbenefits.com[/url][left][i]Affiliate info & signup :[/i] [url="http://affiliates.medexpressbenefits.com"]http://affiliates.medexpressbenefits.com[/url][/left][/indent][/left]

Ok I know the value of content and it is fine and dandy for a content designed site. What does everyone just search for information?? Umm No... If someone does a search for Eagles merchandise, or Eagles bedding sale, I doubt they are looking for information on wild eagles. Rather they want to buy something also known as shopping. So if were able to get well indexed and ranked for these terms why are we frowned upon by SEs. Do they want to limit e-commerce?

Thoughts.....
    Thanks,
    Doug

Again, here is my opinion of what they are thinking based upon actions not necessarily anything else.

Content is King, we all know that. It has been drilled into our head a billion times. The same rule applies to the search engines. If you go to a second tier search engine and type in "eagles" you are going to get a percentage that is junk. That is part of the reason that Yahoo and Google are so dominant. Because a much smaller percentage of their results are junk.

However, in cleaning out the junk sites, they also (and I am giving them probably more credit than they deserve) inadvertantly clear out well meaning affiliate and commerce sites that violated the rule du' jour that the spammy sites all had in common.

An example of my thinking here: Kind of like a guilt by association if you were a bank teller at a bank that was robbed and you were arrested because your fingerprints were on the money. You didn't do anything wrong, but your prints were on the money that was stolen, as was the actual thief.

Hope my analogy made sense.
    Chris Mayr

I totally see your point but 2 questions.

are they dumping paid inclusion sites?? or actual big merchants like Overstock or Amazon???

hmmm

Just some thoughts
    Thanks,
    Doug

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread