Hi everyone,
    Hoping someone might be able to give me some insight into google.

Up until the 1st of December, I was just starting to get indexed in google.
    Suddenly, all of my listings except my homepage got ripped from the listings.

Right before Christmas too....

I didn't make any major changes - just added thumbnail images to some descriptions - but urls were the same.

What did I do wrong?

I only really started getting indexed as of November 18th -- and then whammo - I'm off as soon as I get on.

Anyone else go through this and how do I overcome it?

Thanks guys!

Claudia

Claudia my experience with Google is that, in order to get your sub-pages spidered along with your homepage, you have to make sure that each page links back to the homepage and vice-versa. To give you an example, I uploaded 12 new pages last Sunday and within 3 days Google had spidered them all. I found that when I don't do it this way my new pages do eventually get spidered but it takes much, much longer. Also, you need to make sure that you have as much textual content as possible on all your pages which should include your major keywords. This has worked for me time and time again, so I hope it works for you

Thanks for your great reply.
    I do have links to the subpages and vice-versa - that's why I'm at a loss.
    Google only seems to come my way every two to three weeks - I hope not that long again because I was hoping to gain some Christmas traffic.

Peace,
    Claudia

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I don't know how google indexes now, but nearly two years ago I went through something similar with my new site.

If you can, try to get a link pointing to your site from some high ranking site or directory - your site will then be indexed in no time.

Be patient. My Father-in-law had very low traffic and was earning very little per month. I kept showing him content to add and new areas to promote, along with some search engine optimization and all of a sudden his traffic and earnings just took off. It took 7 months however.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Thanks...
    How about the DMOZ directory - will that help?
    I added myself there today...

Claudia

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyBagLadies:
    Thanks...
    How about the DMOZ directory - will that help?
    I added myself there today...

Claudia <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DMOZ is about as good as it gets. If your site is primarily shopping, they probably won't add you however. If you have content, they may possibly add you. For some search optimization tips, go to http://selfpromotion.com/search-engine-optimization.t

Oh, and by the way, after about 3 months, my first site finally did get indexed for good.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

As long as the site(s) that linked to you to get spidered, links to you and your site(s) that are still algo worthy (whatever that means) the big G shouldn't drop you unless the sites that linked to you or yours may have been/were linked/to you have been dropped and as such you are ---- because of association, yes I've seen that also.

Bottom line - build better nd individual content, make it spiderable with individual (yes I repeated that) content and get better ranking by reputable sites linking to you - lather rinse and repeat and you'll never get caught in algo changes or other horsehockey.

Just my $0.02 FWIW.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

since we are affiliate sites - how can we get others linking to us? Especially those with good page rank?
    I'm having a tough time with this...
    I joined this thing called Power Links but decided against it since many of the site probably have poor page rank and would end up hurting more than helping me, yes?

Claudia

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If you can, try to get a link pointing to your site from some high ranking site or directory - your site will then be indexed in no time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder how I can get old Bill Gates to include a link to my site, somewhere on his software or anywhere he post, at least for one hour in a life time.

Hey Billy, you know who I am so, what about a 15 minutes link to my site, ah?

ABW Ambassador
    Even though it's an affiliate site, it's still possible to get great links. I've had sites that rank well, fall out of the listings, and then they return. If I recall, it usually happens not too long after they finally get some decent rankings. At least that is how yahoo is... not exactly sure about google. I wouldn't worry too much though. Keep adding to your site and getting links. Some people don't like to trade links, but I do. Now that google seems to be taking longer to update page rank, some sites might have a PR of zero, and then take off in a few months. Just be ethical and work hard, and it should hopefully pay off for you.
    I forgot what I was doing.

I'm glad google indexs all of my pages with in a matter of minutes of being created.

Claudia,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyBagLadies:
    since we are affiliate sites - how can we get others linking to us? Especially those with good page rank?

I'm having a tough time with this... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me a link (if you care to divulge) and I'll show you what I'm talking about. Many PRZERO's that I link to are PR3 next day, etc, etc, get more PR4+s linking to you with good anchor text links and ... soon we'll be sounding like WebMasterWorld.com. Link and link and get more quality links this is the key.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Sometimes new sites will temporarily be "lost" from the index.. or strictly speaking, indices as there are lots of versions spread around the Google servers.

Now, if you're site isn't in there *at all* it normally indicates that it's a temporary thing. However, if your site is in there, but mysteriously at the bottom of the rankings no matter how you query it (e.g. domain name), then it's a penalty.

Moo's top tip - make sure you have the Google Bar installed. Google collected visited URLs and adds them to the index.. I've seen intranet pages that are inaccessible from the Internet added to the index because of this.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Our got booted from PR6 to PR0 about 6 months ago... We even paid some consultants to try to figure out what went wrong... no luck yet.

Andrei

When google first found my site it ranked pretty good for about 2 weeks, then dropped completely out of the index.
    Eventually (about a month) it came back. I keep hearing it's something to do with a google 'sandbox' of new sites.

Meanwhile, now new pages are indexed within 10 minutes. But not one of the few thousand pages are ranking anywhere decent.

ABW Ambassador
    I got booted - that was well over a year ago. I emailed them and got back in. It did take many months to recover though.

Yes, I've head of the "sandbox". The behaviour seems to be that once the site is finally in and stable, then only a few pages will get indexed at a time, usually deeper and deeper into the site. Perhaps it's some sort of anti-spam technique?

However, I believe that it is exceptionally rare for Google to remove a domain from the index entirely. If your site seems to be missing it's most likely just a transient thing.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

My site isn't completely missing.
    I have google search on my site - up until last week if I searched for, let's say, Ashton Drake, it would pull my page up - the exact page for the Ashton Drake Collection.
    Now all it pulls up is the homepage. Now it's ignorning all of my sub-pages. (Which are all linked to the homepage and vice-versa).

I have thousands upon thousands of pages....
    I'm just totally at a loss.

Thanks...

Claudia

Sounds like the sandbox thing.. I guess the site and/or content is quite new?

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread