If you do, I'm considering buying the wordtracker service.

But first, rather than shell out the bucks, I'd like for someone here to help me out with a little experiment on the paid vs. free keyword niche finder tools.

For example, I use two free tools,Niche Finder Research Toolwhich returns results using searches indexed in Overture.

A similar tool, NicheBot uses the Wordtracker database and Google to return results.

The difference in the results returned by the two free tools are substantial.

For example, when I typed in "apply online for credit card" in the Niche Finder tool, I get "Demand/80045 Supply/6460 Demand/Supply 1239%" which means that if I target the keyword phrase "apply online for credit card" I have a 1239% chance of my website being found, there were 80045 searches for the term, and 6460 pages using that exact keyword phrase.

NicheBot tells a different story. The same phrase "apply online for credit card" shows 4 searches, 8,810,000 pages containing the phrase, and the competition ratio is 1,632%.

So according to Overture and NicheFinder, this is a killer phrase to target.

NicheBot using Wordtracker and Google says that this phrase sucks, that the competition is too high.

So, who to believe? I wonder if the paid version of Wordtracker would return different results. If you use Wordtracker, could you test the phrase "apply online for credit card" and post what you came up with?

Or maybe one of you folks here could point me in the right direction to use a different tool that is more reliable.

Seeing the different results has me wondering if either tool is reliable. I may be missing a lot of profitable keyword phrases due to the differences in the results.

Thanks,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

ABW Ambassador
    This does not answer your question, but a thought that comes to mind....

Considering the heavy competition for the "killer" keywords and phrases, it may be better to seek out "moderate" but strong words or phrases for which there is very little competition in relation to the desirability of ranking for those terms.

Boston Crab-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Considering the heavy competition for the "killer" keywords and phrases, it may be better to seek out "moderate" but strong words or phrases for which there is very little competition in relation to the desirability of ranking for those terms.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That is true. If you use the niche finder research tool, you'll find that if you enter a broad keyword term, say "online"; it will give you results ranking from the least-used (highest-demand) to the most-used.

Or at least I used to think it did. As I said in my first post, I compared two different keyword-tracking services and obtained vastly different results between the two.

So now I wonder if any of the so-called keyword tracking tools are all they claim to be.

Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Remember that Overture results are PPC driven, and probably have a slightly dominant female demographic thanks to Yahoo. The Overture tool itself is only updated once a month and thus won't reflect seasonal variances as accurately as WordTracker will. Also, singular and plural forms are merged, so you never really have an accurate breakout of the terms.

Wordtracker pulls it's results primarily from Google, Yahoo, MSN - organic - results, with G having a predominantly male audience.

These differences could account for the variance in results. A good rule of thumb: if you rely on PPC campaigns, favor the Overture list; if SEO, favor WordTracker.

http and a telephoto
    Nte, thanks for that great explanation! I know it will help me make a choice.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Nate,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Remember that Overture results are PPC driven, and probably have a slightly dominant female demographic thanks to Yahoo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying that Yahoo has a more predominantly female audience?

In that case, if I were to target a female-oriented niche, then the Overture results combined with Yahoo website submission would more likely expose my niche product to a broader predominantly female audience.

In that case, would using Overture's PPC campaign be more likely to show up in Yahoo's results versus Google's PPC campaign?

Thanks,
    Rick K.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Remember that Overture results are PPC driven, and probably have a slightly dominant female demographic thanks to Yahoo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That never even entered my mind - what an interesting thought...

why would Yahoo have higher female demographics?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Wordtracker pulls it's results primarily from Google, Yahoo, MSN - organic - results, with G having a predominantly male audience.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is not the case. They pull their results from infospace network of meta engines, aka dogpile, metacrawler...
    Not from any of these: Google, Yahoo, MSN.

Yes if we are just talking about the free version the search terms are taken as trellian said, from meta search engines, but the competition analysis is drawn from the inktomi msn index or so i had understood.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread