Like the subject says, one of my sites, which was ranking very well for a number of decent words, up and vanished sometime on the 13th.

I have no idea what triggered this, although (a) I recently stopped adwords for that site and (b) I recently removed the links from a higher PR site to that one. The former seems unlikely as an explanation, but maybe the latter is not. If there were no other links that Google knew of and those disappeared, might they have decided to delist the site?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.

-John, the baffled.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    John,

My site did not vanish but it went from 40,000 in a highly competitive market (weight loss) to 1,456,980 in 2 days.

Somethings up

ABW Ambassador
    It's not adwords.

Do you have any other links pointing to the site? Why did you remove the links from the higher PR site? Was your site down recently? Penalty? Could be a few reasons.

Now thats awful. No wonder I heard people saying dont depend too much on SE for traffic.

John, I hope its just a temporary thing and you get your ranking back soon. As Trust said just try to figure if there is something you have done that has caused this. It could be the link with the other site you removed.

I hope you havent done anything that Google didnt like.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I agree that it probably isn't adwords. They seem pretty well behaved with respect to separating their different services.

As far as removing the links... the higher PR site converts better, so I was actually reversing the links. I figured I should push the traffic towards the better converting site, rather than the other way. Silly me.

If the one site was down, the other would have been down at the same time (same machine).

I honestly don't think I am misbehaving in any way. I was, in a previous life, one of the founders of Lycos, so I know a bit about search engines and I know NOT to do anything that might incur their wrath.

These are just content sites that cover the same subject. I guess I'll check over my optimizations, work on some new links, and resubmit.

Sigh.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hey John, as you are running a Hosting Comparison Site and you have lunarpages listed there. What do you think about them? It would be nice if you can give some feed back. I was planning to register with them, any comments?
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Lunarpages is a great outfit. Others might give you more storage or transfer or what have you, but Lunarpages has very very good support.

That said, I might be bumping them from #1 soon in favor of someone who converts better. Such is business, I guess.

In all seriousness, as a fellow ABWer, I think Lunarpages is a very good place. Tell Max I sent you. (Or use my links, if you like ).

Good luck!

-John.

Thanks for the info John, if I am going to sign up with them I am definitely going to use your link and thats a promise. I will let you know once I do that and you check your stats to be sure if they track your sales properly.

Affiliate Manager
    Just kidding

Google has been unreliable for me for the past 6 months or so. One day I have 25,000 pages indexed for one of my sites (a content site as well) and the next day the same site has only 5,000 in the index... then goes back up to 26,000 the next day after that and so on. One day I get 1,000 visitors from Google, the next day I am lucky to get 200.

Not sure what Google has been up to but it does seem like it fluctuates daily.

ABW Ambassador
    I think you've answered your own question. If those higher PR links were the only ones you had pointing to the site and you remove them, then - as far as Google is concerned - your site no longer has any presence on the web. Hence, its' vanishment (is 'vanishment' a word ?)

I'm having one heck of a time getting mine to show up again!
    I have not deleted pages or links, I went from 400+ visitors a day down to under 40 on the 13th. Only 3 teeny sales for November rather than 5+ per day.
    I've updated all the feeds, updated all pages one by one, added new descriptions and keywords, I'm at a loss!

I do notice what does rank on google is ranked high, it's just not much.

ABW Ambassador
    Wasn't the 13th when Google apparently added another few billion pages ? Somewhere around that date, for sure. There's no real reason why one datafeed site should rank above another, so it might be that yours has just dropped because another 100 or so have been included.

This is just speculation, though. My usual advice if your site has been hit hard in an update is this:

i) Was your site down at all in the last few weeks. Were any of the sites linking to you down in the last few weeks. If yes, don't worry about it - the rankings will sort themselves out in time.

ii) Read the damn webmaster guidelines on Google and be honest with yourself.

iii) Presuming there's nothing on your site that contravenes these, take a look at the top ten for your terms.

iv) If there's no significant difference between what they're doing and what you're doing, do nothing. Work on some other stuff and move on.

Thanks markymark,
    It's not that easy staying calm when you get those SE tremors.
    It's also not like you haven't prescribed those solutions before.
    Thanks for the timely refresher course.

Have you written that SEO Survial Manual yet?
    I've told you before I would gladly shell out the dough for a copy!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

No, it's sure not easy! I've lost over $800 per month revenue for now at this point, but at least it makes sense, and my panic mode is fading.
    I'm still redoing pages to make them better but a little slower to get it right.
    I'd buy the book too!

I went to a #1 listing at google images to on the 4th page! I've lost 3/4 of my traffic and ads around 400$ per month.

I had zero changes on my site.. How do I fix this?

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    You can't, just cross your fingers and wait.. Google is unpredictable..

I have a question. Google was resolving to 216.239.37.99 for me earlier and showing some really weird (and bad) results. What is this data center? Anyone know?

Looks like it's the Google 'english' site ???
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

ABW Ambassador
    I was also wondering about this data center,

It is showing my old results.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Google strangely jumps some of my older pages and forces me to update them as I review the server stats. That isn't all bad but often a waste of hundreds of visitors if the info is outdated. Amazing they'd even like those 2 pages on web design and planning as the info is stale and no SEO/SEM was ever done to them in the first place.

I added some new spin and buzzwords and populated them with Adwords and mall links.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Esperiencing another Florida-like drop in google-supplied traffic. Hopefully it rebounds a bit quicker this time.

Maybe they rebooted a bunch of servers and lost their results cache and have gone back to old data and have to wait for the cache to re-build?

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread