Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Well I don't know about anyone else but today I saw some major changes in Google for me. I am still number one for my main keyword, but I used to be within the top 5 for all of the products that I sell. Then this AM, I became number one for most of my products. Now tonight, I can't find most of my product listings at all. I wonder where this will all end up. I am not a happy camper

I think they hit us on the West Coast. Yes last night and this morning I was number one for some great Christmas items. Tonight, I've dropped a bit. I noticed last night that results were mixed up a bit as well. Sometimes I was number one, other times about 5th or so, but most of the times at the top. I know that one of the sites that took my place is owned by a fellow abw'er. So at least they're keeping it in the family.

Last night I was getting different results from the toolbar than what I was getting from the home page... and it wasn't good at all! but this morning everything is back to normal for me.

Sign of things to come?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    There were changes, and doesn't look too good, not for me
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

This thread should be moved to the SE forum perhaps? Any mods out there?

Traffic to my main site was down about 1/3 after 2pm Eastern yesterday and hasn't recovered. Time to re-optimize. We should be happy it didnt' happen as the shopping season was starting instead of on the downhill.

[Moved]
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I got pushed way down too.
    On the other hand, Yahoo seems to have had big changes yesterday. I was basically non-existent up until yesterday and then I moved up to some of the top positions. Win one, lose one; strange stuff.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emione:
    I got pushed way down too.
    On the other hand, Yahoo seems to have had big changes yesterday. I was basically non-existent up until yesterday and then I moved up to some of the top positions. Win one, lose one; strange stuff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is exactly what happened to me. I was nonexistent in Yahoo with any pages that had affiliate links in them and now I am in position one and two for those pages. In Google I am still in the number one and two positions for my pages that are optimized for content keywords but my pages that have my cj links on them have disappeared. However in the AOL google listings they are still there. But I suspect Aol lags behind google with the changes. I wonder if we are being penalized in some way by google now for affiliate links.

ABW Ambassador
    Well I don't know what this all means but now I am ranked number one and two in google for the pages that were missing entirely last night and this AM. But who really knows where this dance will end up when it is over.

Maybe I overreacted but I actually went in and made some changes to the pages. I probably should not have done that.

They keep moving around. Whenver I see some new sales pop up in cj, I can check google and sure enough, my pages for those Christmas items are right at top. When things slow, I can check google again and find myself on the 4th page. Maybe google's just trying to spread the wealth around this holiday season. In either case, I'm not changing things until after the New Years.

Animal Lover
    My site has been moving up and down the SERPs for a few days now - sometimes in Page 1 for a kw and other times in Page 10...Been dancing up and down. Not sure if the Page 1 is the final result or the Page 10.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Hmmm only one of my sites dropped from 3 to 15.
    My others have stayed the same. I keep hearing
    about the "sandbox" in se forums. Does anybody
    know what they're talking about?

SOB!! My page went from #1 listing, to on the 4th page!

WHY!!!! This really sucks.. please advise me before I shoot someone.

I've had a few of my sites getting alot of traffic from yahoo and msn past coupla days...Sites that have gotten nothing before.
    Ones with and without affiliate links. Hope it stays.

Google hasn't changed much for me but I don't get that much traffic yet anyways.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

This is even getting curiouser, and curiouser...

2 minutes ago, I did a url search for one site...

No listings, but when I did the link for listings containing the url on it over 2000 results...

It gets better, back tracked to the main page, and re-performed the url search, and the listing was found...

Hmmmmm... Sounds like they're having some fun...

Joseph it really is weird and I just hope they stop "having fun" real soon because this is absolutely crippling a lot of affiliates. I was getting around 400-500 referrals from Google a day up until this weekend - yesterday I only had 5 referrals from them with all the rest coming from Yahoo and MSN.

maybe it's just dancing

Could it be because they are now indexing over 8 000 000 000 vebsites?
    [URL=]http://www.intelefone.net/voipvincent[/URL]

Christopher-
    [QUOTEI keep hearing
    about the "sandbox" in se forums. Does anybody
    know what they're talking about?] [/QUOTE]

The Google Keyword sandbox is Here.The sandbox helps break broad-based keywords down to smaller areas. Good for finding niche keywords and getting ideas.

Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    My observation today: If you do a phrase search without quotes, not only are pages that contain that exact phrase no longer at the top of results, pages that lack a key word from the phrase(not "the" but significant words) are included and even precede pages containing the exact phrase. In addition, a site containing the info searched for may now be bumped off by some spam-my directory.

Not good for G00GLE or searchers.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Wrong sandbox Rick

To make it brief it's about new sites being in some sort of sandbox, put on hold about 2,3 months before they start ranking. Something along those lines.

Christopher, if you want a more detailed explanation of the Google Sandbox effect, this article might interest you.The Sandbox
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

Newby Apologist
    Cheesehead, I've noticed the same thing. Google seems to have dialed the keyword proximity factor waaaay back. It's not generating particularly good results as far as I've seen.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am thinking that one of several things will happen:

1. G00gle searchers will start searching by exact phrase more (use quotes or advanced search) - this would result in some former traffic being recaptured.

2. G00gle will switch back to some algorithm similar to what they had.

3. G00gle may lose its searchers to the other big two.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Cheesehead somehow I don't believe that the majority of surfers would enter exact keyword phrases when looking for things, so I don't agree with your #1. As regards point #2 we can only hope they do, as they sure have us over a barrel right now. Since their screwed-up update, I've definitely seen an increase in traffic from Yahoo and MSN, plus a few of the smaller ones like DogPile, Excite, etc so they are losing out right now (too bad!). We can only hope that Google will revert back to what it was before, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast