Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    OK folks, we've had a couple of discussion in different threads here and here, but it's clear that a MAJOR update at Google is underway with many webmasters experiencing big shifts in rankings. There's a thread at WMW .

As far as I can tell, this is the sort of update we see just once or twice every year. But here's some key advice:

DON'T PANIC

Remember that in old-style updates it takes a while for the results to settle down (the "Google Dance"). Even if the worst happens today then it's quite likely that traffic will recover. And besides.. if you read ABW you're already a smart affiliate marketer, and smart affiliate marketers can always adapt and overcome.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Sorry, but I am paniced. All my SERPS are coming up around 500. Down from#1 through#10. Since this is my only source of income, I think panic is appropriate.

Now, tell me more about this adapting and over coming. How do you suggest?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Well, the first thing is to let everything settle down before you make any rash decisions. You might well pick up on many keywords that you weren't expecting, so keep a close eye on your stats.

The simplest way of overcoming it though is to port across to another domain if you think you've been penalised, or buld a NEW site with different structures while retaining the old one.

But, from my experience, I got hammered back in January with the update there, but traffic recovered within a few months and got better than ever.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

15 years and counting
    I took two big hits with Google. Last March then August. Huge drop of traffic, lost several major one word keywords in very lucrative verticals. Well, I'm back. Just before the shopping season I've seen my Google traffic soaring again. I've not made any change to my websites. I'm not using any trick so I was not too worried. It was an opportunity to diversify my traffic and explore new markets.

This looks like a brutal update to me. A couple of my content based affiliate sites have really benefited and they're getting a heap of new traffic, but my straight affiliate sites have all taken a dive. Sites that have stayed solid for certain keywords through all other updates have dropped dramatically... I'm seeing these same results across most data centers.
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Traffic down 40% yesterday.
    Thanks Google!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I hate these times but they usually work out in the end.

I try to spread my risk over a number of sites and different topics.

Usually everything conspires in a way that although different sites may rank up or down the overall effect is that things stary pretty much the same - creeping slowly forward.

Richard

Unfortunately I blocked off the entire Asia Pacific region in my IP block last night so I can't comment on the impact too accurately.

I guess there might be a split between datafeed type sites and more contenty ones.

Yup, lots of updates in Google today. One site that lost all its traffic back in August is recovering some of its old traffic. Another site that's been doing really well since August just lost some traffic. It's kinda funny but these two sites have never maintained a strong stream of Google traffic at the same time. Google takes from one and gives it to the other. I guess this isn't as bad as Google taking all my traffic entirely. I just hope my sales volume isn't hit hard.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

From everything I can see, Yahoo just finished a major update as well.

I don't have many pages in the top SERPs at Google, so I have not been affected too much by their latest dance.

However, at Yahoo, my top keywords went from positions #1 - #10 to well below #50. (For the sake of M&C -- this is a non-spammy content site, no datafeeds, no tricks, no PPC.)

From ~600 uniques a day to 101 yesterday. That is a huge difference. Numbers started going down on the 14th and get lower everyday.

I really wish I could figure out what I have to do to 'survive' the updates. This, to me, is one of the most frustrating parts about this business.

Back to the drawing board (as if I ever left it).
    - I am not young enough to know everything

I've been hit really hard by this update. Just checked my stats and notice that most of my traffic is coming from Yahoo and MSN, with hardly anything from Google. Damn I hope you're right that things will settle down as I was very well placed for a lot of my keywords. With one particular keyword I had a #1 placing for months, now I can't even find it.

Traffic worse today and got summoned for jury duty. Grumpy, could I borrow your name?
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Major Yahoo update going on as well.

ABW Ambassador
    Google has all but destroyed me, MSN and Yahoo are still ok.
    I truly hate this, sit and wait and see if it gets better, try to do something, whats the correct choice? If anyone has an answer please let us all know. LMAO like anyone really knows. Wish they had waited until the New Year.

There goes my Christmas Spirit! Bah Humbug!
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    “DON'T PANIC”

If I were you I would go ahead and panic. Google has been on an affiliate killing spree for 6 months now. I have talked to someone that knows someone at google and this person told them that google is not trying to get rid of affiliates all together but that they do want to get rid of ANY duplicate content that affiliates create. Unless you spend all day creating original content, then I would brush the dust off that resume.

I know some here think that is a great change but I sure don’t like it. I offer unique content and then put a data feed on the site. The content is doing fine but my money making pages are GONE!

Google will change the way affil marketing is done. It's back to the banner by the content. Which does not convert near as well.

I got hit a twice by google this year and have not recovered fully. This one is another big hit for me.

Good luck everyone this may fluctuate, but it is a downward affiliate spiral on google from here.

Trying not to overreact here, but when will it be safe to say that datafeed sites are all but wiped from google?
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by othello:
    Trying not to overreact here, but when will it be safe to say that datafeed sites are all but wiped from google? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 12th 'o Never...

A quick check is showing mixed results for me. A (feed) site they especially didn't like, they like even less--not in the top 200. But another site has risen up nicely. That site has c*ntent, but there's a big feed section, too, which doesn't seem to be discriminated against.

The c*ntent itself is doing well too...looks like Fastclick may have to dust off the check-cutting machine, pop pop pop
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sid_:
    “DON'T PANIC”
    I have talked to someone that knows someone at google and this person told them that google is not trying to get rid of affiliates all together but that they do want to get rid of ANY duplicate content that affiliates create. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is more than eliminating duplicate content. I have created a lot of UNIQUE pages. I have steered away from anything that is in any way a duplication of other sites. I am speculating that this change targets generated pages that are similar to each other (i.e. created with some sort of template).

Cheesehead sure you can go ahead and use my name . After this Google move I might just have to change it to Grumpier!! . I wonder if Google is doing this to affiliate sites in order to force us to use AdWords? I used to spend a lot of money on advertising with them but stopped after I starting getting good traffic without PPC. I even received an email from them recently asking why I wasn't using AdWords anymore and requesting me to fill in a survey. Could be a shrewd move on their part to recoup their losses with AdWords.

Google is a business and adsense and adwords are parts of their revenue models.

Why in the world do very successful affiliate sites (or even potentially successful sites) f' themselves with adsense ads --- sell out to a CPC when they can earn a CPA??

Yes I said that, and I mean it - it beguiles me, think like an end user not a marketer if you don't understand.

I've seen many potentially successful sites highlight adsense and not the CPA links in the prime usability and click pattern locations, unfortunately.

A CPC is nice to get but it will never ever out earn CPA commissions!

Select your network and merchants correctly and get paid on CPA - your an affiliate, not a click sender.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why in the world do very successful affiliate sites (or even potentially successful sites) f' themselves with adsense ads --- sell out to a CPC when they can earn a CPA?? ~Haiko <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A CPC is nice to get but it will never ever out earn CPA commissions!~Haiko
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently you are not seeing the same EPCs from AdSense that we are. Most CPA merchants cannot hope to come close, let alone beat it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>your an affiliate, not a click sender <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I'm an independent businessperson, who uses sites to make money. Whether that entails affiliations or sending clicks is totally secondary to the operation--whoever's paying the most gets the best placements!

Doesn't make any difference to me whether it's by clicks, sales, or means-not-yet-discovered, as long as the pay's good and the payor accurately tracks, and cuts my checks within a reasonable amount of time.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    Sorry, but I am paniced. All my SERPS are coming up around 500. Down from#1 through#10. Since this is my only source of income, I think panic is appropriate.

Now, tell me more about this adapting and over coming. How do you suggest? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well August 6th... I remember it so well.. I was pumping around 6500 unique visitors a day at one site... Friday for some reason, Google referrals dropped... I thought... peeps going out early and not cruzing the online stores for bargains.... Saturday was its usual slow, but Sunday arrived and it didn't pick up. By the end of the next week, I had lost 75% of my Google traffic...

Yep, hope you got your pennies saved... lucky I had some to last a while.

This same thing happened last year but only 2 weeks. Now my site is getting maybe 25 visits from Google a day.

The good side is that Yahoo/MSN who use to hate me for some reason, picked up quite a bit.

It makes you wonder if the Googlers and Yahooites have coffee and decide to switch types of sites. I was good in Google, Now I’m good in Yahoo... go figure.

Well I’m rambling, fixing more eggnog to fix what ails me.

Just remember PooP for Christmas!

I will remember you all!

Poopie Nubert,

Not just another pretty smell
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Apparently you are not seeing the same EPCs from AdSense that we are. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently ... as such the rest of my response is now moot ---- I will stand by initial response as I don't see all getting the same EPCs.

BTW, I still need to answer other issues, I know this - no time because of personal stuff but, I know I can help.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No. I'm an independent businessperson, who uses sites to make money. Whether that entails affiliations or sending clicks is totally secondary to the operation--whoever's paying the most gets the best placements!

Doesn't make any difference to me whether it's by clicks, sales, or means-not-yet-discovered, as long as the pay's good and the payor accurately tracks, and cuts my checks within a reasonable amount of time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yup, gotta agree with Leader on this one. Adsense works on some pages where nothing else can go. Or where there was a bad merchant until a good merchant can be found to go back in.

I'll take that nice steady Google check each month, while I find the other magical merchants that hit with my traffic and perform!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Don't panic and don't worry. Google is not targeting affiliate sites - just ask trustno1 LOL. Trust told ya'll repeatidly how many times they are..... just normal algo changes .

Doesn't the thrill of building new sites every 6 months or so to deal with another batch of sites being penalized in another new way "that an SE use to love - but then decides it hates" LOL.

You gotta love this business!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast