ABW Ambassador
    I received a newsletter today with the following title but,once arriving at ClickZ I was horrified by a number of things . . . . how about you?

quote:
    Pop-Up Warfare: Is Peace Possible?
    › › › Media Buying

Sponsored by Gator.com

Go to the article and see if you agree :

http://www.clickz.com/media/media_bu...le.php/1446441

My first thought was that Gator is trying to lend credibility to itself by sponsoring this article.

I agree with some of the things the writer said, especially the point about trying to attract buyers with advertising, not repel them by it.

I personally hate pops of any kind, even the pop-unders. When I close my browser, I am ready to leave the Internet, not view more ads. When I leave a site, I am done there. I don't want an ad popping up as if to tell me, "you can't go yet, you haven't spent any money!"

And if a site spawns more than one pop, I'm gone. For good. Multiple pops make me feel like I'm being attacked. If a site wants my money, they deliver targeted ads that interest me. I'll click on them if I'm interested. Chances are, if the first ad that pushed the mini cam didn't entice me, the 4,000th one won't either.

I believe a lot of web surfers understand they have to support the sites they like. Too many dot coms are gone now for people to not understand that. You try to form a community, so that others will want to return time and again and support your site. Gator comes in and steals from that community, without giving anything back to it.

Most people would not want this to happen if they understood Gator is stealing money from their favorite sites. I think we need to encourage a higher level of awareness on the Internet. Deals like the free downloads seem too good to be true, most don't understand the ultimate price they pay for the downloads.

When everyone's favorite content sites are gone, Gator won't have any sites left to steal from.

I posted a notice in my forum about Parasites, and couldn't believe the number of people who wrote to me telling me they had no idea this was going on.

It's scary that a dark force would try to hide behind a veil of credibility and respect for the very consumers they're taking advantage of.

Andy

The reason Gator likes that article is that its main point is targetted popup = good, untargetted popup = bad.

It lends them an air of unwarranted legitimacy while they monetize Other Peoples Traffic.

I

Clickz ran their first pro gator article when gator first got into trouble. I emailed the author and called him out on somethings, and he ran off. He tried to deny a connection to gator that I found at the time, I was right - he was wrong (and a big giant ass and an idiot)

The sponsorship and ads around the article make the entire site a joke. Clikz is nothing but one giant gator ad. I would love to see the NY Times writing an article on Burger King and mention it was sponsored by Burger King and having nothing but burger king ads in their paper - headline - cockroaches are a health food!

There seems that there is no seperation of editorial and ads sales at clickz. They must be desperate. I give them less then a year before I dance on their graves.

The writers and editorial staff at clickz have no integrity and have dropped even trying to hide their lack of integrity. Why anyone would believe anything they say is beyond me. That would be like having professor (fred) running an advice column.

Chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Clickz does have some interesting articles and they get tainted by servicing the Advertising industry. That industry is worse than the the scumbag attornies when it comes to ethics.

WebMaster Mike

I'm totally confused at this point. Could somebody please explain in plain English what it is that Gator is doing?

If they are so terrible, and everybody wants BeFree to stop sponsoring them as a merchant, then why isn't it just as bad for merchants to allow them to participate in their programs as an affiliate?

It seems to me that if you want to get rid of them, you have to go at them from both ends.
    ---

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

quote:
    Originally posted by Tracy:
    I'm totally confused at this point. Could somebody please explain in plain English what it is that Gator is doing?

Not being in your biz I haven't studied it - but as I understand it:

Joe Sixpack visits your site. He sees a Tiger Direct ad/link. Special on modems - great, he wants a new modem.

Joe clicks your link and whatever page you sent him to is kind of moot because Gator sees that keyword "modem" and makes a popup for modems on sale at PC Connection (or wherever).

Joe is not only distracted from the page you sent him to, but he also assumes that popup was something YOU meant for him to see. He clicks a link on the popup and your ad and commission is history.

Thank you, jaybat, for taking time to answer. I'm at work with nothing to do (Is it 6:00 p.m. yet???), so I started doing some research on my own. I found this article Publishers sue Gator over pop-ups. It goes a long way in clearing things up for me.

Unlike WhenU, which actually is a super affiliate of many programs and earns commissions, Gator sells Pop-Up advertising. This one paragraph of the article is what cleared it up in my head:

quote:
    The latest suit highlights mounting tension over tactics used by Gator and others. Earlier this year, WeightWatchers.com sued rival DietWatch.com for using Gator to deliver ads to visitors of its site. On June 11, a court granted WeightWatchers a permanent injunction barring DietWatch from serving ads on its site.

So the way I understand it is, if somebody ends up at my site with the search term "buy microwave," and they have Gator's OfferCompanion software downloaded on their computer (whether they realize it or not, and Gator has a client selling microwaves, then one of Gator's pop-ups for microwaves will show up. The visitor to my site might think I put that pop-up there, and that's how they're stealing my business.

So, if I'm understanding the whole picture, the reason we object to BeFree promoting Gator as a merchant is it helps Gator to find more unsuspecting people to download their software and help them steal revenues from the backs off other people's hard work. And they're not just targeting affiliate programs, they're targeting any body who is a competitor of a website that has hired them to deliver pop-up ads.

The really sad thing is nobody really needs them. They started out as a company that provided software that remembers your passwords and fills out forms for you. However, since the most recent editions of webbrowsers already include that feature with them, nobody needs Gator for that purpose any more.

I just wanted to understand this because in his newsletter Haiko asked us to write to BeFree and voice our objection. Now that I know what I'm fighting against, I'm more than happy to send an email to BeFree. I will also write to the remaining two BeFree merchants that I am active with informing them that I will have to withdraw from their programs, but if they ever switch to CJ, Performics, or LinkShare, I will be the first to sign up with them. My one small voice may not make a difference, but hopefully when others take the time to write, our voices together will make one LOUD ROAR!

Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    As Tracy learned Gator has their fingers in a lot of pies. Gator also purchases or has access to all the collected shopping habits of all visitors to BeFree merchants. They get autoloads every night of discount coupons and special offers to pop-up increasing their changes of pilfering sales from competing merchants. They charge merchant/advertisers to be on their service and then double dip them with a special fee to not have a competitors offer popup on their domains.

You can sue them to get your domain off their popup list or pay them a fee. Sound like a protection racket doesn't it. How much does Gator pay BeFree to enable their schemes every month. I sure doesn't equal a normal merchant network access fee. Gator brags to their merchants they get a 10% clickthrough rate and they place that click right at the point of sale on the competitions sites. The overall effect is the Gator merchants and all BeFree -LS & CJ merchants conversion ratios drop because of Gator.

WebMaster Mike

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread