2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette.../08282002.html
    Good article on Gator in this Spywareinfo.com newsletter.

WebMaster Mike

Yeah, right. Gator was smart enough to develop their software application, but didn't know that its software could be downloaded without the user's permission if security settings were set too low.

Uh-huh.

And of course they scrambled to fix their error immediately once it was brought to their attention.

Uh-huh.

And Gator doesn't intercept traffic from affiliates and steal their commissions after the affiliate site marketed and sold the item to the user.

Uh-huh.

Errr, I mean, yes...it does.

But there's nothing wrong with that.

Uh-huh.

Gee, Gator sounds like a real swell company... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

NOT!

Gator seems like the kind of company that WOULD hire Homer Simpson to man a nuclear reactor!

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hidden installs of Gator Adwarez features is common. I do not want Gator on my machine but get duped into driveby installs or hidden bundling of Gator's Offer companion while surfing the web.

Case in point: The only thing more devious and deceitful than the unwanted advertising is that these parasite Adnausium mini-programs are being bundled into other software without you knowing it. For instance, I recently downloaded the new DIVX player for MPEG4 from a merchant website offering the newest version of MPEG4 movies. As it installs, it doesn't tell you that in addition to it's own player, it is also installing software called "Gator Offer Companion" by a company called GAIN. Suddenly, pop-up ads were showing up nearly every time I clicked on any link including those in my own Cynermalls. I never agreed to this and did not know it was being installed along with another program.

I have since learned that if I had gone to the DIVX website to get the player instead of from the merchant website with the movies, I could have CHOSEN whether I wanted the "Gator-bundled" version or only the basic version. Needless to say, I de-installed the old and re-installed the new one. But.... de-installing the DIVX player did *NOT* de-install the Gator/Gain software. The bugger and all it's bundled spyware still remained til clobbered by Lavasoft's Ad-Aware program.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Webmaster Mike:

so, what did you think of the DIVX player (with out the spyware)...is it any good? I like the idea of their site, I hate that they are a front for spyware...but would consider promoting the program if the program was good, and I was able to link to the non-infested version of the software.

Missoula - Short Stories

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread