Based on geekvillage... looks like there shutting down there affiliate program!

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yes! I received notification from Gator that their association with BF has ended as of Dec. 15th. And no, I don't link to them, but had joined their program way back before they were doing all the other stuff and it was just straight form filling program. Just never dropped them.

Thanks BF!

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    WTG BF !!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Scott dropped me a hint about 3 weeks ago when he showed me Gator was no longer listed as one of my merchnats. I've been trying for over 16 months to get them off my reporting interface. There commission payouts must have been dismal except for the perverts doing driveby installs for them buried in some popup hellhole.

WebMaster Mike

Contractual obligations have prevented the "announcement" of the decision that happened moths ago.

WTG BeFree!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    Contractual obligations have prevented the "announcement" of the decision that happened moths ago.

WTG BeFree!

Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_

Ditto !!!

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

This news is old news... I heard BeFree and Linkshare went to Gator and asked them to sign to the new rules of engagement and Gator politely said no thank you. Kudos to the networks!

However, I've heard from some insiders that Gator is actually doing quite well with out affiliate networks... 500+ advertisers including BankAmerica, Microsoft, AOL, Oracle, etc.

In the end, they get better margins running a sales organization as does any property that can eliminate the middleman that is taking a percentage of all sales (see Linkshare). Anyone with the scale to justify direct advertising sales efforts should do it.

Neil,

Exactly what do you do that you are getting all this insider info?

As far as Gator goes, I thought never did generate revenue through affiliate links, that is was all bought advertising. As such, they wouldn't have fallen under the LS addendum. The only connection as far as BF was the fact Gator was running an affiliate program through them.

Neil,

quote:
    Gator politely said no thank you.

Politely for a sailor! ROTFLMAO!

quote:
    However, I've heard from some insiders that Gator is actually doing quite well with out affiliate networks... 500+ advertisers including BankAmerica, Microsoft, AOL, Oracle, etc.

Good ... now I have 500+ advertisers to inform [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

quote:
    In the end, they get better margins running a sales organization as does any property that can eliminate the middleman that is taking a percentage of all sales (see Linkshare).

No, in the end, they get booted and cos like Linkshare get the merchants and affiliates for their stance!

Haiko

Just to clarify, I think what Gator is doing is quite disruptive and I personally don't like their services. However, I do find their business very intriguing.

In terms of my insider info, I've got to know people on the inside at Gator, Linkshare and others over the years. Some information is directly stated to me while other details come second hand.

Mr Pinehurst,

quote:
    I think what Gator is doing is quite disruptive

What is your take on the other parasites like eBates or other TopMoxie "type" programs?

Haiko

Glad they are gone from the networks.

Is there a list of their advertisers?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I think all Ebates, Gator, WhenU, Real Networks, AOL, Microsoft, adware pop-ups, paid for search terms, email marketing, intrusive site advertising and other means for generating revenue online are disruptive and annoying but ultimately it is the price we pay for using the Internet. Quite frankly I prefer Salon but we know where they are headed.

There was some quote by the Yahoo CEO who said something along the lines of the Internet today is a 2 on a scale of 1-10 on agressive advertising and needs to be a 6 before it becomes economically viable.

quote:
    There was some quote by the Yahoo CEO who said something along the lines of the Internet today is a 2 on a scale of 1-10 on aggressive advertising and needs to be a 6 before it becomes economically viable.

Did he include unethical marketing into the mix to get to the #6 scale?

Did he also discredit ("allow") the multiple pop up ads served via some of these properties? I think we all have seen the negative branding that they have done (eg. X-10).

It is "whores" like eBates and WhenU who ruin the industry, our right to compete and fair marketing. But they are your customers right, they knew they downloaded the parasitic shoot right? .... LMFAO!

$0.10 a download, I'll pay that just to get the parasite shoot off the end user's machine!

How do you like them apples? Ours have [parasitic] worms in them!

Remember we have almost 7K members ... that's alot of dimes!

Haiko

quote:
    SSanf said:
    Glad they are gone from the networks.

Is there a list of their advertisers?

Gator does not publish an advertiser list publicly on their website. You have to request a copy, which I'm sure they don't just give out to anyone. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] They may install a db list on your computer when you install Gator like Whenu does, I don't know. If someone knows that is the case, I will download the app to get the list a post it. But.....

Gator does not operate like ebates/top moxie, wurld, and whenu by using affiliate links in their pop ups and offers!! Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Haiko? Advertisers buy ads in the traditional ad sense. This is what Haiko is meaning by understanding and knowing the technology of how the different software apps work. Neil's original post in this thread is misleading. If Gator is not using affiliate links to generate revenue, that is they do not have an affiliate account with any of the networks, then they are under NO obligation to adhere to any "code of conduct" implemented by the networks. Even *if* the networks were to make such a code of conduct mandatory to all their affiliates who use software apps. Yet, Gator is a threat to affiliate revenues, as they can still divert a sale. For example, if your visitor clicks on your affiliate product link to Merchant ABC. Once on Merchant ABC's site, Gator is triggered and a pop up for Merchant's XYZ displays with some special coupon deal, so the your visitor then clicks on Gators ad and buys from Merchant XYZ instead.

Curtailing apps like Gator will need to be fought against in a different manner than what will hopefully come out of the Nov 7th meeting. Or how apps like ebates are dealt with if an adequate resolution by the networks is not reached. Why? Because the apps operate in completely diffferent ways based off of different business models.

And I'm giving a heads up now. If the networks come through with a tough code of conduct and enforce it putting a halt to the affiliate ID swapping, I can see companies switching to the model that Gator is using. Whenu already uses a combination of both. I don't see these companies taking the lose of revenue laying down quietly. They will need to monitored closely.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread