ABW Ambassador
    Read this:

Gator popups

Perhaps Google & Yahoo will now take this baby to court

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

How pushy can you get?

This type of advertising is what makes it so hard for the rest of us to make money! People go to SEs to find something. They want relevant results, not a bunch of paid ads.

The big guys can always pay to be included, but often they don't provide the best product, information, or service. I hope Google and Yahoo bury Gator with this!

This "it's legal because the end user agreed to it, and it's their computer" cr@p attitude doesn't cut it, not when a competitor's ad appears on your site. We already know the end user most likely hasn't a clue what they've agreed to. All this does is confuse people.

I'm sure the courts will have a field day with this one!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    We already know the end user most likely hasn't a clue what they've agreed to. All this does is confuse people.

I'm confused and this seemed like a likely spot to drop in. Last night I signed up with Simply Dresses on LS (as one in a few different apparel merchants to add) then, when I went to their site to determine which categories/products I wanted I got a Gator install pop-up, that was a first for me with a merchant (though it may be more commonplace than I thought) and that was the end of that.

I went back to LS and ended the relationship before it began, I'll not knowingly send a visitor to a site that wants to install Gator and odds of getting a sale mixed in there seems very low to me. Why would a merchant pay to be in LS and drive away their potential affiliates with a Gator drive-by? Are they not interested in selling their own wares, but getting the traffic for their side affiliate deals instead? Just seems very counterproductive to me for many reasons.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I love it when the thieving minds at Gator, who haven't spent a dime beyond bandwidth on the FREEBEE wallet/password application in years, claim they need more gorilla advertising methods to pay for their service. What service as the wallet info can be mined for side sales to telemarketers and spammers.

Now the merchants & portals who don't do the Gator thingy, because shoppers hate popups & unders, get their keyword PPCSE fees going into funding more popups. If Gator was kind they'd advertise vasiline rather then force users to install popup killers.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

If Linkshare had any balls behind their spin on controlling parasites they give Simply Dresses the boot in the butt they deserve. Hell that is one lame merchant any how and never pay their bills on time to LS. Stephen ..run they out of LS town on a rail tarred and feathered as an example you don't allow BeFree to Gator your merchants and affiliate shoppers.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    don't allow BeFree to Gator your merchants and affiliate shoppers.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere here back in November or so, that BeFree was ending their relationship with Gator? No?

Scott finally setup the new BF reporting net site to allow you drop a merchant from your reports. I tried for 2 years to get Gator out of my reports. I have no idea if their still listed as a merchant paying affiliates for "driveby" downloads or lead fees. As far as I know Gators whole banner/popup/link tracking operation is furnished by BeFree for a fee.

Webmaster Mike

Be Free has never done the sort of tracking that you suggest, Mike.

They were a regular merchant with an affiliate program tracking leads. Actually, I was never even able to find a driveby that was tracked through Be Free.

As ShoreMark recalls, they are no longer a merchant. Now we do nothing for them.

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

Now there is something worthy of a BeFree frontpage news article. Put it right next to the CoC link and let both your affiliates and merchants know they aren't being Gatored. Severing the association with BF puts it right in CJ's and Overtures playing field.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! Where's the love and show me the money?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread