http://www.dashbar.com/

FYI, a toolbar by Gator(Claria)

ABW Ambassador
    Good thing you didn't call it S*YWARE.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Dashbar was a failed dotcom that later reformed to offer wonderful beginning BHOs from VX2 and their transponder. Joshua A. Abram's has been mentioned on here before (one of the founders) and he was recently mentioned in something else i read this past week. Can't remember what.

I spoke with Joshua at length over VX2 years ago and he was very deceptive and secretive. Blackstonedata, the company he would never talk about was truly an evil spyware company. They tracked all your keystrokes and sent them back to a central clearing house, they of course did this to empower you. But all of this can be traced back to them.

Chet

yeah it's wierd when you notice that your getting traffic from that site.

I don't care what gator or claria say they are, I say they are spyware, they are bloody good at putting their cookies on your computer, how they do it I've not figured out yet. Almost every time I run a spyware check theirs is the cookie that appear more often than most others.

Take it from me I did NOT agree to have Gator or Claria on my computer.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Why would you be getting traffic from that site in the first place im confused

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Claria actually has several of it's own software they bundle GAIN with now besides the eWallet/form filler. http://www.claria.com/products/index.html#ss

Dashbar, weatherscope (which allows them to capture the end users zip code), PrecisionTime, SearchScout and DateManager. I really love the way they also now "offer" ad free versions for $30. LOL.

They also bundle each of these individual products with freeware.

WhenU also has a growing list along these same lines. http://www.whenu.com/products.html

180 just released a "free" application through Zango which allows you to find movie times in your area (again they then have the end users zip code).

quote:
    they are bloody good at putting their cookies on your computer, how they do it I've not figured out yet.

Gman, those are typically gator's "tracking" cookies for their partners. That is it is the cookie to let them know which of their partners to pay if their stuff does get installed on your computer.

quote:
    Why would you be getting traffic from that site in the first place im confused

You could if your site shows up with whoever they are using to serve their search returns.

I see now, thanks I didnt think of that

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I don't care what gator or claria say they are, I say they are spyware..

I don't really care either, it's just that right now I just don't have the cash to buy freedom of speech.

Speech used to be free here in the US but now there are "hobbyists" and corporate legal departments that see all criticism as libel. Being right has no bearing, you can be sued by these extortionists until forced to settle since you can't afford to pay for actual justice.

Wayne

Yes I apreciate that Wayne for you Americans but your US courts would have a long hard walk to get me (British/Canadian) in a court :-)
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    These Scumbags and commision thieves are now all bundling their browser spam crap using various freebee and extra cost downloads.

WhenU offers its consumers a range of products that add value to their online experience. In addition to WhenUShop, the premier online shopping companion, we offer several useful free software programs. Below is a list of our current offerings that you can download easily.

WhenUSearch Desktop Toolbar
    Exclusive Savings and Search Results Now.

The WhenUSearch Desktop Toolbar gives you easy access to powerful Internet search capabilities, while presenting you with exclusive, special offers and websites right inside the toolbar. You get an Internet search toolbar that is always available to you at the bottom of your desktop, providing you relevant information, right when you need it.

WhenUShop
    The Greatest Shopping Tool on the Internet! For only $29.95 per year

WhenUShop is the greatest shopping tool on the Internet - providing instant coupons, information on sales tax, shipping, return policies, merchant contact, and much more, right at the point when you need it. WhenUShop covers 400+ sites, including all the sites that you know and trust! WhenUShop saves you money and precious time when you shop on the Internet.

WeatherCast
    Checking The Weather Has Never Been This Easy

WeatherCast is free software for Windows that lets you easily check your current temperature directly from the system tray. Detailed 5-day and 48-hour forecasts, as well as radar images, are available with one click.

Weathercast features include:

Current temperature, wind speed, humidity, wind chill, UV index, and heat index
    Five-day forecast for all of the U.S. and hundreds of worldwide cities
    48-hour detailed forecast
    U.S. and worldwide radar images
    Checking the weather has never been this easy!

ClockSync
    You'll never set your clock again!

ClockSync is free software that synchronizes your Windows clock to the official correct time and resets it every day automatically. The software lets you reset your clock daily, weekly, or only when you choose. With ClockSync you’ll never set your clock again!

SaveNow
    Relevant Offers When You Need Them

There are a vast number of great offers and services available throughout the Internet – the problem is finding them when you need the information most. SaveNow is a program that brings you relevant offers and tells you about deals and similar sites when you surf the Web. In addition, we negotiate a number of exclusive offers to maximize value for our users. SaveNow's goal is to show users information about these offers and services - right at the moment when they need it. For example, if you went to a search engine and typed in "long distance", you might get an offer for SmartPrice - a site that we found to be the best for comparing long distance plans. We show these offers infrequently so as not to be intrusive. In fact, the average is one ad shown per user per day.

PriceBandit
    The Source For Free Coupons!

PriceBandit is the source for FREE online coupons. Every day, our content team scours the Internet to find our users the best coupons, free shipping offers and Killer Deals that are available at over 400 online retailers. Visit our site today so that you can always stay informed of the best deals when shopping online. While you're there, don't forget to sign up for the PriceBandit newsletter!

Those same 400 Ad Whore merchnats showing up at WhenU are infesting systems via the 180Solutions and Gator applications. Hell these same scumbag AM's are signed up will other BHOs we don't even have on our radar and deserve to be fired if the real merchant's management had any balls.

Nice overview of BHO's and a good forum for all who get infected by bundling and drive-bys at at http://computercops.biz/postt7736.html

I'm trying to get these guys who have 2 great anti-Spyware/Adware programs to remove the networks cookie blocking so all ABWers can push them on their shoppers to wipe out the friggin BHO's before and after the hidden installs.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Spyware, adware, browser hijackers, and dialers are some of the fastest-growing threats on the Internet today.
    By simply browsing to a web page, you could find your computer to be the brand-new host of one of these unwanted fiends!

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
    Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
    Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background. SpywareBlaster is freeware for personal and educational use.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware! And you can easily have an anti-virus program running alongside SpywareGuard.

SpywareGuard now also features Download Protection and Browser Hijacking Protection!

Features Listing: Fast Real-Time Scanning engine - catch and block spyware before it is executed (EXE and CAB files supported) with signature-based scanning for known spyware and heuristic/generic detection capabilities to catch new/mutated spyware
    Download Protection - prevent spyware from being download in Internet Explorer
    Browser Hijacking Protection - stop browser hijacking activity in real-time
    SG LiveUpdate - provides an easy updating solution
    Small size - with a small size and small definition sizes, download and updates are quick
    Report Capabilities - keep a detailed log of all spyware detected
    Spyware files are blocked before being opened or run - they are not simply shut down after they are loaded in memory (and after they have performed their tasks)
    It's a free download
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    ..your US courts would have a long hard walk to get me (British/Canadian) in a court :-)

Exactly! That's why the US needs its allies. To speak for the average US citizen effectively silenced by the money of corporations embarrassed by the true nature of their products or merchants whose reaction to criticism is a crippling lawsuit.

Wayne

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread