ABW Ambassador
    Gator has a new compelling program. They have a piece of software that will synchronize your computer with an atomic clock...while installing gator in the background.

Anyway, I started wondering if anyone knew of a good gator free service that would let you synchronize your computer with an atomic clock. I remember working with programs that would synchronize all the computers on netware, but haven't thought about it since.

Any recommendations?

Protophoto - Short Stories

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I am talking to myself...

The Time Services Department of the Naval Observatory is the keeper of the official US time (down to the millisecond). Their URL is:

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/

The site has info on how network admins can synch their networks to the official atomic clocks. The site has links to free software for synching your clock with the official time.

Gosh, it seems to me that it would be better to synch up with the the naval observatory than to install some gimmicky program from an ad network.

The idea is that adware is supposed to actually ad something of value. Since the US government provides a better service for free, I don't see how Gator's Atomic Clock gimmick could be called anything other than a gimmick. Hopefully few people fall for it.

ABW Ambassador

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Whenu has a clock sync thing also.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The operators of Gator and WhenU might just have been abused as kids. They just can't get the line "Candy little Girl" out of their minds.

Ponder that while I dance the fine line between libel and creative thinking.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Doesn't Windows XP already have clock syncronization built in to the OS?

I've been pleased with Atomic Clock Sync from World Time Server. To the best of my knowledge it's not associated with any spyware and all my systems check clean after installation.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/

Yes, Windows XP does have a built-in NTP client, which performs automatic synchronisation unless you have deliberately disabled it (from the Services panel).

And yes, that does make Gator and WhenU's trojan-backed offerings 100% pointless. But the poor sausage reading the "Your Computer Clock Is Wrong!!!!!111" advert isn't going to know that.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread