quote:
    Claria Corp., the company that shook up the field of contextual advertising online with its Gator and other spyware applications, Thursday filed to raise up to $150 million in an initial public offering. Deutsche Bank Securities, Piper Jaffray, SG Cowen and Thomas Weisel Partners are underwriting the deal. The company has applied to trade on the Nasdaq exchange under the trading symbol CLRA.

Source - MediaPost
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    So many more trading symbols come to mind than CLRA. But I'll bite my tongue
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice to see .."Cowen and Weasel Partners are underwriting the deal...LOL. Hope the investors take it in the shorts as this POS company deserves to end up in Fu*kedcompany.com's hall of fame. Drive-by installs will now popup stock offerings....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Small wonder their legal Rottweilers are out suing anyone who alleges their software to be SPYWARE.

It will be interesting to see how many times the name Claria is raised during the FTC hearings on SPYWARE and if it has any effect on their IPO.

Since it has already been mentioned in filed comments submitted to the FTC and is part of the public record of the SPYWARE workshop, I think we can safely mention Claria/Gator in the same post where the word SPYWARE appears.

Wayne

This message has been cleared for posting by the NorthernStudio Legal Department.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    1st 180 with their new funding, now Gator with an IPO. Sheesh!

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    All my sites are going to have an IPO also
    Really simple Just send me all your money

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Sorry, WW, I'm fresh out of $150 million dollar bills.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Trying to look on the bright side, maybe there will be a couple of advantages if they go public. Their financials will be public record. And there will be more accountability for the business practices.

It does make me wonder however with them going ahead with this considering everything going on at the moment. I wonder if they are planning on keeping to the same business model and/or what strategies they are planning regarding the legislative/public policy area.

Exactly ms.B that kind of cash would set them up nicely as another major network eh?
    Mind you it would be a network mainly for the sleazebag nocomish paying merchants who love nothing more than to steal from their own parents and get away with it, or maybe for the scumbag affiliates who use a similar thiefware crap software that gave whenu their start in the big time world of scumbag parasites going public in order to try to legitimise their theiving ways.

Can you tell I'm pissed at my drop in earnings this month?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Jeez Gordo you almost beat my record at ABW for the longest run-on sentence. Claria ...sounds like a name of a Maddam at a Ad Whorehouse....or is that warehouse?

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    I'm fresh out of $150 million dollar bills.

Sorry I will only accept unmarked bills in 20's and 50's

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Bob Tedeschi's report on Claria's IPO

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/12/te...&partner=MYWAY

One government law banning this Gorrilla marketing practice and this company and the others go the way of spammers and telemarketers. Hope every dime invested in Claria IPO brings the investor to his knees begging to be put out of their misery.

here is the whole article

Pop-Up Ad Company Plans an Initial Stock Offering
    By BOB TEDESCHI

Published: April 12, 2004

The Claria Corporation, the company best known - and reviled by privacy advocates - for its online pop-up ads and tracking applications, has filed to offer shares to the public.

Claria, formerly known as Gator, hopes to raise as much as $150 million in its initial offering, which will be underwritten by the investment firms Deutsche Bank Securities, Piper Jaffray, SG Cowen and Thomas Weisel, according to Claria's filing with the Securities Exchange Commission on Thursday.

More than 43 million Internet users have downloaded a Claria application that, among other things, tracks their surfing activity so marketers can display ads that are ostensibly relevant to products the users might be interested in.

In exchange for agreeing to view such ads - known in the industry as contextual advertisements - consumers get other Internet applications free from Claria. File-sharing software like Kazaa and so-called e-wallet software that automatically fills out online forms are among the most popular offerings.

Claria's S.E.C. filing shows that it generated net income of roughly $35 million last year, on sales of $90.5 million, more than twice the company's 2002 revenues. Cendant, FTD.com, Netflix and Orbitz, among others, have relied on Claria to deliver advertisements.

Overall, the online advertising market has experienced a sweeping improvement in the last year, reaching $7.2 billion in sales last year after two years of decline.

Claria's software, however, is disliked by some publishers and merchants who claim that the pop-ups violate trademark and copyright laws, because the ads typically cover parts of their Web sites - often with counteroffers from competing Web sites and sometimes when the consumer is about to make a purchase. Consumers have also complained about the ads, which can pop up numerous times in a day.

Companies including L. L. Bean, Quicken Loans and The New York Times Company have sued Claria in federal courts in the last several years, with varying levels of success. The Times, which along with several other online publishers sued Claria in 2002, dropped its suit after winning a preliminary injunction against the company. Quicken, L. L. Bean and five other companies are fighting Claria en masse; the suit is now in a federal district court in Georgia.

Claria and its chief competitor, WhenU.com, based in New York, have also attracted the attention of state and federal lawmakers seeking to curb these types of applications, which proponents call "adware" and opponents call "spyware." Legislation introduced in February in the United States Senate would, among other things, require companies to give consumers the option to remove the software each time an ad is shown.

Perhaps more ominous to Claria and WhenU.com is legislation that takes effect early next month in Utah, prohibiting adware companies from serving their software or ads to consumers in that state.

Claria's initial offering follows an announcement by Yahoo that its first-quarter earnings exceeded expectations, largely on the strength of advertising sales. Google, the search engine that is fast becoming one of the Internet's most successful advertising vehicles, is also preparing to offer shares to the public, as are Advertising.com and Shopping.com.

"We saw it during the last bubble, and we'll see it again this time around: as the entire market grows and gains attention, companies will be able to raise some capital," said Nate Elliott, an analyst with Jupiter Research. "And people are paying more attention to contextual advertising, which is what Claria offers."

quote:
    I just pulled Netflix and orbitz off my sites

Adware anxiety gives Claria cold feet

Quote:
    The decision to hold off on an IPO reflects apprehension among investors about adware as an engine of business.

peter

Sure shines a light on the financials and scope of the theft from other affiliates commissions by these system hijackers.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread