How does Gator work?

How is the account setup?

Who sets the popup triggers, the folks at Gator or the ad agency or both?
    Do they give you a list of keywords or websites to target?
    What are the trigger options?

How does Gator report results back to the advertiser?
    Do they compile a list of effects based on the triggers I chose?
    If I were an advertiser, how would I view my ads to make sure they were popping up?
    Would Gator tell me where they are or would I know because I was the one who chose?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Someone who wants to be a parasite????

Go jump off a cliff!!!

do yourself a favor and skip Gator...

A much better choice is RoboForm, get the registered version... you'll never regret it!

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Crawl in a Gator's mouth, as all the answers you seek are in it's belly.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hi Bojon,

I really dont know if you are aware of the reputation of Gator? If you have posted this knowingly what REALLY Gator is then trust me you are in the wrong forum. Be ready to read more of this:

quote:
    Someone who wants to be a parasite????

Go jump off a cliff!!!

Because everybody here, me included, would do anything to get rid of parasites or Gator alikes.

But if you really dont know what Gator is (then Guys forgive him/her for the ignorance) . Gator is a parasite and been involved in stealing affiliates commission somehow the other.

So imagine now, you came to the affiliates forum and asking them to help you to steal from them.

My sincere advice to you is forget about Gator and start your affiliate business in a respectful manner.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The fact that Gator's in the PARASITEWARE forum should be a clue as to what we think of it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Wow! No one knows how Gator works!? Not even the basics?

I was hoping you could help me make some informed decisions. I came here because I thought you folks were informed not just opinionated.

Oh well... Can someone please point me to a place where I can find some research on this program regarding potential problems associated with it?

I'll draw you a map to a cave in Pakistan and a safehouse in Russia where you can talk with the original programmers. Bring a change of underwear.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    I'll draw you a map to a cave in Pakistan and a safehouse in Russia where you can talk with the original programmers. Bring a change of underwear.

Mike no need to draw a map to Pakistan or Russia just give him directions to the following address I guess that would be far more easier for you

Founder: Jeff McFadden
    Organization:
    Claria Corp
    Claria Corporation
    555 Broadway Street
    Redwood City, CA 94063
    US
    Phone: 650-980-1500
    Fax..: 650-980-1820
    Email: dns-adminc@claria.com

Registrar Name....: Register.com
    Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
    Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: GATOR.COM

Created on..............: Wed, Mar 19, 1997
    Expires on..............: Sun, Mar 20, 2005
    Record last updated on..: Fri, Aug 27, 2004

Administrative Contact:
    Claria Corp
    Claria Corporation
    555 Broadway Street
    Redwood City, CA 94063
    US
    Phone: 650-980-1500
    Fax..: 650-980-1820
    Email: dns-adminc@claria.com

Technical Contact:
    Register.Com
    Domain Registrar
    575 8th Avenue
    New York, NY 10018
    US
    Phone: 902-749-2701
    Fax..: 902-749-5429
    Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Zone Contact:
    Register.Com
    Domain Registrar
    575 8th Avenue
    New York, NY 10018
    US
    Phone: 902-749-2701
    Fax..: 902-749-5429
    Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS-CW.GATOR.COM 66.35.229.53
    DNS-A.GATOR.COM 64.152.73.53
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Jeff didn't write that original theftware program...he bought it with a wire transfer to an anonamous drop box. He couldn't even fix the code when BeFree begged him to before kicking his ass to the curb as a merchant and affiliate.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Since Claria's software can potentially pop advertisements and Overture listings on anyone's web site here drawing traffic and sales away from all the work and $$ they've put into their sites, it's highly unlikely they would respond to questions which would appear to be coming from someone who is wanting to advertise through Claria. Afterall, if you become and advertiser with Gator, then it could well be YOUR ads which are popping on the web sites of anyone who posted in this thread. Now why would any business person assist in such?

quote:
    I came here because I thought you folks were informed not just opinionated.

And maybe the fact that they are informed is why they are opinionated.

quote:
    No one knows how Gator works!? Not even the basics?

The basics. They track the web usage of all the people they've managed to get their software installed on their computers either through bundled installs (with long complicated EULA's or drive-by and stealth installs). They use this information in determining the "behavioral" aspect of their service. This is also closely tied to not only behavioral targeting but contextually targeting. The contextual targeting is based on their software detecting key triggers of where a person is surfing at any particular time and matching those keys with their advertisers campaigns. Those key triggers are based off the work of other webmasters such as their domains, page names, page titles, etc. This information of other webmasters/businesses is used and monetized by Claria without the consent nor compensation to the infringed upon website.

Advertisers then open an account with Claria. They set up the triggers for when their ads will pop up on other's work/web sites. Claria assists the advertiser in choosing those contextual triggers based off the behavioral data they have collected over all the time of tracking end users surfing. You pay Claria for your ads popping on someone else's web site. Because they always are triggered off of someone else's web site.

You run your ad campaign through Gator and then you hope that one or more of the following doesn't happen:
    *Your brand becomes associated in the consumers mind with one of the most hated (by consumers) adware programs out there
    * Another business that was targeted by Claria to have your ads pops on doesn't turn around and sue your @ss instead of suing Claria (something that has happened more than once already)
    * You hope that Claria IS having their software which is serving YOUR ads comply with the new State Laws governing the behavior of adware applications so that you don't have some consumer in UT or CA taking action against you also.
    * You don't tick off some other Merchant who turns around targets your web site with Claria and/or the multitude of other applications that have the same type of biz model.

And if you are a really bright lightbulb you ask yourself this very important question (and you read Gators EUAL very carefully to get a hint to the answer if you can't figure it out): If Gator records the web surfing behavior of the people who have their software on their computers in order to establish the behavioral targeting and assist Merchants in where to target ads, then what is Gator recording and tracking about the consumer who comes to your site and buys on your site, and how they navigate around your site, and what items they purchase from your site, etc? And what is Claria doing with all that information that is collected from every single consumer that Claria delivers to your site through your ads you run with them, because for them to see the ad, they have Claria on their computer. And how is all that information collected about how consumers surf and shop around your being potentially used when one of your competitors sign up with Claria? And how does Claria use such information in their own marketing/recruitment of new advertisers?

quote:
    Who sets the popup triggers, the folks at Gator or the ad agency or both?
    Do they give you a list of keywords or websites to target?
    What are the trigger options?
    How does Gator report results back to the advertiser?
    Do they compile a list of effects based on the triggers I chose?

All those questions are answered on their web site.

quote:
    If I were an advertiser, how would I view my ads to make sure they were popping up?

Install their software on your computer.

Hey Bojon you'd best read every word and neuance of Ms.B accurate reply. The new Federal laws passing through Congress make the criminal and fine actions apply to both the BHO spyware perps and their advertisers if you break the rules. Gator so far busts all the rules they plan to make into law. Well mabe not ALL of them, but break even one and your butt's in a sling begging Martha to decorate your cell.

Excellent post Kellie

I feel that is the "RIGHT" way to educate people about adwares/parasites. In my view if one has the right knowledge, especially about bad things, it should be passed on in a way that people understand. I wonder how many people really know what are adwares/BHOs? If I had the statistics I am pretty sure they would have been in a very lower end of %age. I guess most of the people know at the most is they run popups and slow down the PCs.

Thanks for the great info Kellie!

I know that it’s more difficult when you’re not preaching to the choir and people get upset when that happens… but I’m not asking you to help me steal from you.

What if my affiliates are stealing from me with this product? Isn’t this the place to come and get the facts before you start saying and doing things you might regret?

I still have more questions about Claria if you would be kind enough to answer.

I have read two conflicting accounts on how the Claria pop-ups are triggered.

1) You can choose URL's, keywords, anything you want.

2) You cannot choose URL's or keywords. Only broad categories based on large generic industries (Automotive, Electronics, Travel, Financial, etc) states and other large geographic locations like the pacific northwest, etc, and time zones. That's it, all or nothing.

If your Claria pop-ups were showing up on my site, couldn't I just give you a call and ask you to stop? Wouldn't you be able to put my site on some sort of no-pop-up list?
    Has anyone tried this approach? Did it work?

How does Claria report back to the advertiser? Do they get a report that says what domains triggered how many pop-ups and how many of those were clicked on etc…?

Or is it just… Your account recorded this many impressions with so many clicks, nothing specific.

As I’m browsing this forum, reading your posts, I have had Claria advertisements pop-up for flowers, Jewelry and travel services. Why? I never go anywhere or by flowers or jewelry. This site has nothing to do with any of those services or topics.

Thanks for the help.

Bojon, you might want to read my 2003 article about Gator: Documentation of Gator Advertisements and Targeting.

Because I can read and interpret Gator's configuration files, I can tell you -- or anyone else -- exactly which ads Gator targets at which web sites. It's a very handy skill. Among other things, it reduces the elements of delay and randomness otherwise associated with some Gator ads. I'm happy to tell you, or merchants, who is using Gator to target their sites. (My article provides this data as of July 2003 targeting. For more current data, get in touch with me by email or PM.)

Gator's site has gone back and forth as to whether its advertisers can choose specific trigger conditions. I don't think I or other ABW members are likely to know the current answer for sure.

Some sites do contact those Gator advertisers who target them, and ask them to stop. Others sue.

Gator does include at least two kinds of exclude lists: 1) A list of domains above which Gator will never show any ads. 2) For certain ads, a list of domains above which the ad will not be displayed (like an "anti-trigger").

Gator knows what ads it showed what users for what advertisers, and when. Given the level of detailed knowledge Gator often boasts (as to their research division, etc.), I would expect advertisers to receive detailed data from Gator.

Gator includes a "global target" list which generally includes flower and travel. I don't immediately recall seeing jewelry in the list, but that could be a recent addition. My article mentions this -- do an Edit-Find on "notrgs" (what Gator calls this global category of targets).

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread