ABW Ambassador
    I know i could read all the posts but i figured this would be quicker.
    Aren't they just like Sypbot and Ad-Aware in what they do? Jason was asking the same question in this thread:

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...93&m=382105114

If so, isn't having this in this forum just confusing people which serves no purpose? I don't know too much about them except you have to pay which i think is dumb since you can just use Spybot or AdAware which is free. How are they different from Sypbot or AdAware? Thanks

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I think they were outed for blocking network affiliate cookies as spyware and flagging some other anti-parasite programs as Adware. Now their buried deep in the AOL ISP service as the default service.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    From "blocking"? Oh, they're not like Spybot or Ad-Aware? Are you saying that this runs on a persons computer and if someone went to my site and clicked a link which should set a cookie that Aluria would block it since they consider it spyware? If they do that then they belong here. But that is what they do?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Trust,

All the Aluria stuff started when it was brought up that their software was flagging Network cookies. Folks here were concerned because Aluria was active here on ABW and many were promoting their software.

Jamie Garrison and Missy Ward came to address the issues. It became clear that they were flagging the Network cookies as spyware not because of if direct knowledge of their own that there were truly privacy issues, but because all the other apps were doing it.

Things got heated and a bit nasty. I was given a copy of the software to test. On testing I found that they were not only flagging many affiliate network cookies, but they were also blocking access to sites and cookies (protection features of the software). In the blocked sites part of the software, I found many affiliate sites being blocked. Then the clincher was when I attempted to log into ABW chat and couldn't get on the chat page. Turns out ABW chat was on the Aluria site block list. Aluria claimed they had no idea how that happened. Last straw that earned them a forum here.

BTW, a few months later when I attempted to run the software to test again, it had mysteriously turned from a fully functional app to the trial version.

As an add in ... I've negotiated with a company who will offer an "affiliate-centric" scanner that will pay $15 per sale and doesn't touch, much less identify, CJ, BF, LS nor PFX cookies.

Should be announced within the next two weeks.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Nice Haiko. What exactly will the new software do. Still trying to grasp this whole thing

ABW Ambassador
    Good move Haiko. This arms race to find the most spyware is getting stupid. Soon one of them will start identifying excel just so it can say it finds more than the next.

Chet

Good move Haiko... Let me know when it's announced.

ABW Ambassador

More delays?

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, anyone using AOL? Can they confirm that the built-in Aluria anti-spyware software from AOL, does not catch AOL's own spyware in the instant messaging product?

Thanks

Chet

Haiko de Poel, Jr. said:

As an add in ... I've negotiated with a company who will offer an "affiliate-centric" scanner that will pay $15 per sale and doesn't touch, much less identify, CJ, BF, LS nor PFX cookies.

Should be announced within the next two weeks.
    What program scans for spyware but does NOT flag cookies?

Quote Originally Posted by curt
    What program scans for spyware but does NOT flag cookies?
    Microsofts Anti-Spyware and Sunbelts CounterSpy

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Sunbelt's Counterspy is out too:
    ... Microsoft does not detect and remove tracking cookies. Counterspy does. ...

See http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm under subheading: Unlike Microsoft, Sunbelt is TOUGH on Adware
    They (spyware removers) are all removing cookies!! Dang spyware removers won't do the right thing!

ack...
    Last edited by curt; September 21st, 2005 at 07:50 AM. Reason: double post

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    SunBelt CounterSpy has established relationships with a few affs here at ABestWeb - and listened to our concerns - I visited them for a day and went into the details. They are changing things as we speak. Their folks have told me that the sunbelt program NOW (as of the 19th - 2 days ago) no longer deletes CJ or Linkshare cookies.

This is great news because the SunBelt CounterSpy product works best (wins awards for best cleaning), has an affiliate program (pays 50%) and is moving to become affiliate friendly.

Now, their AM emailed me on the 19th about the CJ and LinkShare cookie changes. Further, I have worked with them and am happy to report they are getting information from none other than Ben Edelman concerning which cookies are of affiliate concern and need to be whitelisted. On top of that, the Affiliate Manager there (Mr. Sandy Vendebult) has told me their COO has approved this initiative to recognize OUR concerns and to make the changes to their ANTI-SPYWARE product so that our one concern, cookie treatment, becomes a favorable issue for us affiliates!!!!

It takes a couple of days for a present install of CounterSpy to update with the changes - I am waiting another day or so and then will test it myself to see how CounterSpy now handles CJ and LS cookies. I hope Kellie and many others test as well. I would guess that, given the complexity of the issue (liek the many CJ domain names used), that it won't be perfect on the first pass - but this is progress and we have their ear.

As Kellie and I and others test, I expect the news to unfold here at ABestWeb.

I am hopeful that we, as a community, will work with them to get the complete whitelist that we need for all affiliate cookies that we are concerned about.

Your totally accurate Donuts as I did 3 paid installs yesterday for Counterspy under Win98SE. No whacking of CJ or LS cookies as they were set to "ignor". I'm not an expert snooper but clicking on Curts icon, and reviewing all his posts i can see he's a shill for the parasiteware industry and Aluria. Counterspy has him by the short hairs giving his Adwhore masters a bad case of PMS.

That's great news Donuts!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Yep, I think this first is great news too.

More here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=63626

ecomcity said:

I'm not an expert snooper but clicking on Curts icon, and reviewing all his posts i can see he's a shill for the parasiteware industry and Aluria.
    I am not a decoy nor am I trying to fool anyone into thinking aluria is OK.

I was fooled 2 years ago by aluria. I am not a willing decoy now. There's a difference.

Aside from the Jabs ecomcity is throwing at me, I'm happy to see some sort of promise though I'm not trusting of any anti-spyware software company now. It's hard to trust anyone at this moment. Once bitten, Twice shy. We'll see.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread