We received this email:

Dear XXXXX,

In accordance with the Commission Junction Publisher Service Agreement( http://www.cj.com/pub_agreement.asp ), you are being warned for brand infringement resulting from your use of the Capital One brand name in your URL

http://www.capitalonevisa.com/

Please could you remove this URL ASAP

Thanks in advance for your co-operation

Regards
    Client Services
    Commission Junction

If you need further assistance to this issue or to answer an inquiry, please use the "reply-to" address.

Are they implying I own this domain name?

A quick WHOIS would determine that we are NOT the owners

http://www.whois.net/whois.cgi2?d=capitalonevisa.com

Unfortunately it is becoming a bit of a habit from CJ, with regard to similar accusations, and as you may appreciate we are not too pleased with an unfounded warning and veiled threats of account closure on the telephone.

To add to this the CJ Customer Services department in Santa Barbara say that CJ Compliance team REFUSE to deal with enquiries by telephone, but email only.

It's amazing how evasive they still were at providing details of the appropriate contacts. We had no luck in ascertaining appropiate email contacts.

Question

Has anyone else experienced anything similar, and how do feel this should be best approached, considering they haven't replied to telephone calls or emails?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated for something which is unduly distressing.

Disclaimer

The communication contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. All information contained herein is, without prejudice. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). Please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication are strictly prohibited.

[This message was edited by Qui Gon Jinn on November 07, 2003 at 08:38 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I am assuming they have found one of your cj links in that site somewhere with your pid.

have a good look through the site, check source code for your urls or cj pid etc.

i have not had this problem so can help hel otherwise, sorry

*** And people say I'm just a housewife!!! ha ha ***

No,

There are not any CJ links of ours on there.

It looks like the site is receiving a feed from one of the ppc solutions, which would be easy enough for CJ to identify.

Disclaimer

The communication contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. All information contained herein is, without prejudice. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). Please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication are strictly prohibited.

I would just E-mail CJ Compliance and ask them to identify specifically the URL where the problem is on your site. Tell them you don't know where that link is, if that's the case. Then you can go to that page and see exactly what they are referring to.

If you are using the capitalonevisa.com as part of your URL, that alone might be the problem. You're probably not supposed to do that according to Capital One's TOS.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    If it is a pay per click feed, maybe Cap One has a rule against bidding on their trademark.

Cheers Guys,

To reiterate there is nothing on the site relating to us or anything to do with the domain. The simple fact is they have amade a serious blunder and have not responded to our communications.

Disclaimer

It might be that the URL is a network partner of a PPCSE on which you place your ads.

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    It might be that the URL is a network partner of a PPCSE on which you place your ads.

That is what I thought. Are you saying you are NOT bidding on any Cap One trademarks? And your ppc ads do not show (even non-trademark ads, if you have ANY ppc ads)?

We just had a conversation with the UK office admitting they had made a complete mistake, they assure an email will be sent to ourselves from one of the directors at the US office apologising - which I will duly post within this thread.

Hopefully this communication will also apologise for the curt response we experienced. An apology is a long way short to appeasing our final satisfaction.

What makes it worse it that the merchant is totally unaware of the incident, they - meaning CJ - say they will inform the merchant themselves, but I think we shall communicate with them directly to ensure there are no half truths.

On the Capital One UK program, they DO allow bidding on brand name as long as you don't out bid them. But our link does not show on this site as part of their ppc feeds.

Goto http://www.espotting.com

and search for "Capital One", you will see the bonified affiliates are mostly grouped at 10p

The same thread, in a little more detail, is also on another forum I am a member of

http://www.a4uforum.co.uk/showthread...threadid=14751

Hopefully the moderator on here will not misconstrued this as a promotional link.

Thanks for your feedback, I shall post when email is received.

Disclaimer

Well for our first contribution to this forum, it was certainly a little controversial, hopefully others will be a little more upbeat.

Our background is UK publishers working with both UK and US programs, if anyone ever requires a bit of feedback on decent UK programs, just let me know. Hopefully I can be of assistance.

Disclaimer

Dear xxxx,

I thought you should know that xxxx has escalated to my attention the concerns you've recently expressed about Commission Junction. After investigating the matter, it is evident that our systems erred in associating your Commission Junction account with the site www.capitalonevisa.com. We sincerely apologize for this and the resulting alert message you received. You may disregard the alert message entirely, and our engineers are already looking into how to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

xxxx has also informed me of your experience with the service you received from client services in the US. Again, I am sorry you were not satisfied with how your concerns were handled. Since this team falls under my authority, you may rest assured we are already working on ways to improve in this area.

xxxx, your satisfaction with Commission Junction is important to us. I said as much to you when we spoke at CJU recently, and I stand by it now. Admittedly your initial experience in this matter didn't reflect the level of quality we ultimately want to deliver to you, but in communicating with us you have given us the opportunity to improve things and continue building a profitable relationship. We look forward to working with you to achieve that goal.

Sincerely,

x. xxxxxxxx xxxxxx
    Director, Client Services

Commission Junction delivers advanced solutions for online marketing.

Commission Junction
    1501 Chapala Street
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    www.cj.com

I have placed "x" over peoples names.

Disclaimer

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread