Hi All,

I'm going to be helping out my daughters School softball team by building a small fundraising site for them to help raise money for tournaments, equipment and so on. They will be getting all the income from parents and so on purchasing through the site.

I'm going to use CJ as the main player and will just be using a couple of their merchants. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever set up an acnt for something like this at CJ.

When I go to sign up they ask if any portion is going to charity. That wouldn't be the case would it be? The site is actually going to be theirs. I'm just handling the maintenance of it.

Also, for the tax classifications, I don't think a school is considered non-profit but I am not sure whether it would be government for classification

I've been trying to get a hold of the coach (who will know as much as I do) so I can get moving on the site but to no avail. Was just wondering if anyone else has set up an acnt at CJ or not. Thanks in advance. Todd, feel free to input here.

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

Read your post but don't have any advice. I have no experience with this. Hopefully, someone wil chime in with some pratical advice.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Also, for the tax classifications, I don't think a school is considered non-profit but I am not sure whether it would be government for classification

You could probably find out from one of the heads of other departments at the school that do fundraisers. Likely candidates include the band, orchestra, drama club, or any other group at the school that is usually out there every year trying to get people to buy things.

Out of the above, try for an old-timer who would have come across the information by now, as opposed to someone who got their education degree yesterday and just lets Accounting handle that.

There should also be someone at the school who gets stuck handling the paperwork generated by some of these activities. Try asking her--if she had to type that info onto something she may remember it!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Hey, just tell them to use SchoolPop or SchoolCash
    Just kidding...

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

quote:
    Hey, just tell them to use SchoolPop or SchoolCash

Leader,

Thanks for the ideas We have met with a couple of the other Sports Clubs about starting up a sports booster club. What would or would of been good about that is that we could of qualified as a non-profit organization. Unfortunately the sports clubs that were able to start up a booster club were luck enough to do it before the current Athletic Director took over. He isn't too keen on setting up private clubs unfortunately. So far he hasn't approved the softball program to do it.

In our district, as in many I am sure the boys sports get pretty much what they want and the girls don't get squat. I have 2 sons and a daughter. I've never had to complain about the boys going without but it's a joke with the girls. The funny thing is the girls sports programs are normally awesome and do well almost every year, while the boys programs are when it comes to winning.

They are finally breaking down I think thanks to the fairly new superintendent who got a chance to watch my daughters varsity softball team play for the sectionals this year. They are finally building them a real field which by the time it is done should be comparable to the boys field. The district still has aways to go however in realizing the quality of the girls school sports programs and the coaches of whom most give 100% during the season and also during the off season.

One of the reasons for suggesting the website was becasue I know her softball coach pays about $2000.00 out of his pocket each year to cover some of the expenses that aren't covered by the school or raised from fundrasing events.

Ummm, what was my question again???

Todd,

Thanks for posting. I think my biggest concern is that I don't want CJ to think it is an incent site and for us to have problems down the road with deactivation. What we will be doing is promoting the site to parents and so on to make the purchases online. I just want to make sure that a fundraising site isn't considered an incentive site

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    You might want to look into Quixtar. I have no idea how well they might work out for a non-profit organization but they would have a lot more products and support to offer in one online package than if you tried to assemble something from scratch for parents and supportes to buy from.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I'm not an accountant or a lawyer, but isn't a school a charity? Seems to me all you need is a receipt from the school and a letter stating that you didn't benefit from the gift. In the last part, I mean, years ago, you would give say PBS a contribution and they would send you a totebag. It used to be you could keep the totebag free and clear, but a few years ago they changed it s you would have declare the totebag as income. Now, you send a charity some money and they send back a letter saying they didn't give you squat

Anyway, all I am saying is that when I send a check to my college's alumni fund its a charital gift, if you give money to a school your child attends, that is a gift too, just declare the income and then deduct that amount off your taxes and you should be fine. You probably should ask an accountant to be surte though.

The only other option is to have the school own the site. I.e. all checks will be made directly to the school. How the school deals with the accounting of this isn't your problem since you never see the money, the school cashes the checks.

Mike
    K9 Calendars
    Dog breed calendars and t-shirts

ABW Ambassador
    As far as I remember from being a teacher is that school fundraising is non taxable because schools are not for profit. I don't remember any case where our PTO had to file anything.

However, you may want to check with an accountant just to be sure. I'm pretty sure that when we buy wrapping paper and do other school fundraisers for our children, the school's get to keep that money outright.

Mike is right about having the school's name or organization being the payee on the account. It's less messy that way!

Thanks Whiz, Mike and Rem for the feedback

I think my biggest problem I am having is trying to figure out how to join CJ I guess I'll have to wait until I get a hold of the coach.

Your all right though about not having to deal with the check being in my name. I already set that clear that I don't want to have to deal with claiming anything on taxes. I do have the schools tax number or something to add but I'm still not sure who the check will be made out to. Hopefully it will go to Kent, the coach because that way we know the money will get to the girls.

I also think that you are right about it being something like a charity or not for profit, which it is. My biggest concern is that I don't want to set up the site with CJ merchants and then have them deactivate it, saying it is an incentive site because we encourage people to buy because it is a fundraiser. I'm sure they wouldn't do that but I would like to know in advance. Maybe I will try giving them a call now and see if they will send me an email stating that there will be know problems down the road. I email the coach and told him we have to meet and I will let him do the signing up at companies however he sees fit. Thanks again everyone for the feedback

Whiz, for the most part the site will just be selling ink and printer supplies. I figure the comish is good and it's something that most everyone needs to buy. Hopefully it will pan out good for the team. Of course there goes my local business

Coincidence Me baby!

I just got off the phone with Carrie (Kerry?) at CJ who was Super about helping out with some questions. She went and took a look at the site because I just wanted to make sure iy wouldn't be consider an incent site (which it isn't) and she said it woldn't be a problem. She also helped out with some of the questions about setting up an act for the school there. All should be good Thanks again for the feedback all.

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    You can probably do a good job doing some local advertising of the website if people know it is for fundraising. Plus the fact that you're in Syracuse, you can probably post signs up around campus talking about it. And we all know college students buy that stuff you mentioned.

Hi, I have been reading the postings regarding the site you are interested in creating and its purpose.

To be considered a "charity" you need a 501(c)(3) designatination from the government(IRS). This means there are forms to submitted that include a Mission Statement, name and addresses of the Board of Directors, and many other requirements. Should you be interested in applying for a 501(c)(3) designation from the IRS you need to recruit people to serve on your board of directors - I strongly suggest that you recruit a lawyer to serve as one of the directors (and at the same time take care of the documents to be submitted to the IRS) and a branch manager at one of your local banks (always good because they have access to funds earmarked by the bank to go to the nonprofit sector).

A good place to get more information on all that is involved is About.com:
    http://nonprofit.about.com/?once=true&

I run a site that provides information to nonprofit organizations but I do not think I am allowed to post the url here.

Another excellent resource is the Nonprofit sector:
    http://www.nonprofit-info.org/npofaq/02/

If you are interested in more information or leads drop me a PM at:
    antoniogildelamadrid@yahoo.com

Hope the above info helps.

Gil

Another comment, and this may come as a double posting since my computer decided to post without me completing what I was writing - if it a double posting I apologize.

Should you decide to join one of the programs mentioned by Connie above, make sure you read the postings in the ABW "Parasite" section. You do not want to partner with a program that allegedly replaces affiliate unique identier number and takes their commissions.

In termms of school, they are considered exempt from taxes but I believe they fall under a different designation from the IRS and not a 501 (C)(3) designation as nonprofit organizations do.

Again I apologize if this is a double posting.

Gil

Gil,

Thanks for the Info and I'll be sure to check it out. Right now we have it set up for the checks to be paid to the school program but the Kent, thecoach used his SS# so I'll probably give CJ a call and see whether they want the schools tax ID#. I'll read up on the info you posted and let the others who are interested in forming a booster club know about it. Thanks again for taking the time

Rem, thats not a bad idea about the university. One nice thing is that the parents involved in softball are pretty gung ho when it comes to getting things done. Plus we all come from different fields in the work place which should help in getting this site going. A bar owner, a couple big execs and so on. It really should take off pretty good. The nice thing is if they stay with it, it will be a nice source of revenue for the program for years to come. Thanks again all.

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    DePackster,

You probably don't want Kent to use his ssn because he'll get the 1099's if the site makes over $600 (i think that's the amount) and get stuck paying the taxes, social security, and unemployment taxes from that income.

If you absolutely have to use a ssn use your kids. That way, you can at least set up an IRA for them since they'd have earned income.

Just a thought.

Robin

ABW Ambassador
    One more thought...

Again, if you need to use a ssn you can just mention that all proceeds will be donated to the school and then that way you can write it off your taxes or whoever's social was used.

Rem,

quote:
    Again, if you need to use a ssn you can just mention that all proceeds will be donated to the school and then that way you can write it off your taxes or whoever's social was used.

Rem,

That's what Kent was saying today if it turns out that we leave it with his SS#. He said he will do exactly what you said and just right it of as a donation. Jeesh, I should hire you to do my taxes Thanks again for the feedback.

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately for Kent, he'd still have to pay taxes on the non tax deductible amount, but that's better than nothing.

"Jeesh, I should hire you to do my taxes Thanks again for the feedback." - Started off in Accounting..hated it (too boring), majored in Finance, worked in that and hated it..got a Masters in Education and taught math - loved it, had 4 kids..now work is sort of impossible..other than setting up a few pages here and there.

A final note..can't even figure out my own taxes .

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread