After sitting on pins and needles since Oct 4th, Consumer Direct Warehouse has finally reversed a $420 commission. Based on the sale value, I am guessing it was for a plasma screen TV advertised on their home page. As usual, the reason was invalid credit card.

The thing that disturbs me most with this transaction is the fact that I emailed them on Oct 15th for a status update on the sale, but they didn't even have the common courtesy to respond. By this time they should have known whether or not the sale was valid.

The fact that they were recently deactivated from CJ, and then reinstated, should have given me a clue as to the type of program they operate, and that the reversal was inevitable.

AVP

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I would look elsewhere, their program has gone downhill, more reversals, dropping their datafeed with no warning. I used to like these guys but I have been replacing them with other merchants.

Hey,
    I'm new to the forum, so I'm sorry if I am slow to reply.
    I'm the owner/web developer for Consumer Direct.
    We have been running our affilate program for some time through CJ.com, and while it's been fairly productive, there are a couple of things I have been having trouble with.

One - every single month, I have to go in and reverse thousands of dollars in fraudulent transactions. In all the time I have been doing this, I have only had someone come back once to find that I made a mistake, and I not only refunded the commission, but gave an additional $50.00 for the mistake. I have learned to wait until the end of the month, (by the 10th of the next month) because I have written a program to download the transactions, and verify each sale with our invoice database. I realize this makes it difficult for those who rely on the commissions generated, but I haven't had many complaints.

Second, the CJ.com mail system leaves a lot to be desired from my point of view, it doesn't matter how many transactions I am running through cj.com, it's a huge hassle to have to weed through the 200-300 spam emails I get on a daily basis in my business account, and then to have to worry about checking my cj.com email as well. Why can't they just forward your questions to my real email address? (mpote_ _@_ _consumer-direct.com)

As for the other problems we are experiencing, I supposedly uploaded our new catalog settings last month, after receiving a call from one of the affilites saying it was outdated, but after not seeing any products listed, I fired off a couple of those support messages, and still have not received a reply. (guess I'm not the only one not checking my inbox) Anyway, I looked again tonite, and still no product data.

Like many oter things, getting cj.com back on track is on my to-do list, and I have no doubt that things could be going much better, so anyone wanting to jump ship now, I understand. Just check back often - in case we get our sh$t together any time soon.

Thanks

Michael Pote

Consumer Direct Warehouse
    Raleigh, NC

[Protected email addy in post, nothing else]

[This message was edited by Haiko on November 10, 2003 at 12:22 AM.]

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Mpote, Welcome to ABW and thanks for the post. I was just about to respond to this reply again about just cheking my stats and coincidently (spelling?) had a reversal from Consumer Direct for $99.95.

Maybe I'll reconsider jumping ship (have alot of links I have not switched yet (not that I do tons of sales, mostly sell video senders) but a new feed would help. also maybe some new creatives or banners, top sellers? Just checking out your site (its been awhile) and I am seeing quite a few "our price: Call" which I know affiliates do not like (no commissions if they call and buy they item)

I agree with Michael Pote,
    I was the one who called and told him that datafeed is not correct.

But My own sale for ($16.50) has been reversed also

Asif

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Let the smoke and mirrors begin as if the owner doesn't verify and double check large item orders the day they hit his order file. Any thing over 1000.00 automatically gets a phone call verification from my 50+ merchant client sites who book online orders.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Quote from a customer of this company that posted on BizRate:

"My biggest disappointment was the item went on sale the next day for $20 less than I paid for it."

If your plasma TV went on sale soon after you ordered it for hundreds or thousands less, wouldn't you cancel?

Or after being told your 63 inch $20,000 Plasma TV was in stock and ready to ship, but you have to wait weeks ...you'd cancel and contact your credit card company, right?

What would the merchant most likely choose as the reversal reason? Invalid Credit Card, or Other.

My impression of this company? As the owner has suggested, they need to get their sh*t together.

Michael,

Welcome to ABW!

May I ask why you only reverse fraudulent transactions once a month? It would seem to me that it would be in your best interest, as well as your affiliates best interest, if this was done daily. Not so many transactions to deal with all at one time, and if the CC is fraudulent, you don't have that big sale (and commission) sitting on your books for so long.

There are CC verification programs that can eliminate most CC fraud, as the card info is checked and authorized before the sale is posted. If it's a bad CC, the sale doesn't post. Perhaps you should consider upgrading if this is such a big issue, and apparently it is.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    posted November 10, 2003 03:36 AM
    Quote from a customer of this company that posted on BizRate:

"My biggest disappointment was the item went on sale the next day for $20 less than I paid for it."

Why wouldn't that customer just call to get a credit for the difference? Most places selling electronics would be glad to do that.

We just bought a new cell phone and 2 weeks later Best Buy had it on sale for $30 less. We went in with the receipt and voila, got the $30 credited back to our credit card. Seems a lot simpler than cancelling the order altogether. Don't you think?

I would guess that most CC fraud is done with good credit card numbers. We had this happen at work and the cc company called to see if we made the charges. Someone was using our good cc number on the web.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread