Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    I received this today from a merchant at CJ. I wish ALL companies decided this as a course of action.

Affiliate Partners,

I am writing to inform all affiliates of OutdoorDecor.com policy regarding coupons and coupon sites. As per the terms of agreement of our affliate program, affiliates can only use promotional methods listed in the affiliate program. Therefore, coupons that our company issues to other mediums (which are very few) cannot be used in affiliate promotion. Any affiliate partner that continues to use promotional methods such as unauthorized coupons is subject to immediate termination in our program. If an affiliate sees such use by other affiliates, please notify us directly and we will take what actions we can.

Furthermore, it is OutdoorDecor.com policy that we will not allow coupon sites in our affiliate program, as we will not be issuing coupons for affiliate promotion (we are also discontinuing use of coupons in most other advertising mediums as well). If an affiliate sees such use by other affiliates, please notify us directly and we will take what actions we can.

There are several major reasons that we have taken this policy and will enforce it. The main reasons are as follows: 1) It is not fair to affiliates when a coupon site can take the commission they have earned by having a customer do a search for a coupon after they have decided upon their purchase. 2) As a company, we are limiting the use of coupons and other promotions so that we can focus on lower and more competitive pricing. 3) We believe coupons in general tarnish the brand as they give the perception of overpriced merchandise. We stand for quality products at competitive prices and do not need coupons or discounts to sell our products.

Good Merchant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by RedFish:
    Good Merchant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, I've never used coupons, they suck bigtime.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by JJJay:
    I've never used coupons, they suck bigtime.

Glad you enjoy paying more for what you buy.

For an individual merchant to decide to drop coupon sites is perfectly fine--it's their choice. There are a ton of merchants I would never feature on my coupon site because they simply don't offer coupons. Nothing wrong with that.

Now issuing a blanket statement that coupons are bad and all merchants should stop using them makes no sense at all. Some merchants (several, actually) use coupon codes as a promotional tool and encourage their affiliate to use them. The thing that doesn't make sense, actually, are those affiliate that refuse to feature them.

BTW, Witness, I think Webmaster Mike stole your login.

Michael

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    WOW!! Great move and one that will increase your sales volume as even the BHO's can't function without enticing your buyers away from your checkout lane. Just post exerpts of the above on your main page telling all your site visitors that this allows you to keep prices low and offer seasonal specials, closeout price on select lines and occassion free freight offers without making your customers jump through and hoops.

I'll have to add you guys to my Bonsai Pages and garden sections with more spin appeal. Last time I checked coupon pushing is a gorilla advertising method promoted by the DMA as an excuse for getting the Ad in your face. Leave it for the local retailer desiring walk in traffic even if they bring along the profit burning coupon. Just spent 2 hours reading through conversion topics at Clickz and Shop.org and coupons and other incents actually untrack buyers. They are great for monopolizing the free coupon directory called Google for the minority of shoppers who are only motivated by a coupon or rebate.

I still can't find where the Overstock coupon and 10% off specials creatives actually land on a page where the shopper gets info in the damn incent. Bet any shopper sees it show up automatically in all shopping carts and was done only to feed the BHO's, couponers and incent PPCSE spammers a handful of thumbtacks to trap shoppers in their bare feet or slippers.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on October 27, 2003 at 12:37 PM.]

I could be wrong, but isn't Outdoor Decor on the Ebates list? I wonder if they will be droping them as well, or if it's just non- parasitic coupon sites being targeted.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

That's simple minded

I've been tricked and trolled NewCastleB...

Office Depot Business & Office
    Computers & Electronics
    Outlet Centers
    3% OfficeFurniture.com Business & Office
    3% OfficeMax.com Business & Office
    Computers & Electronics
    Outlet Centers
    3% oldnavy.com Apparel & Jewelry
    Baby & Maternity
    Outlet Centers
    2% OlympiaSports Sports & Recreation
    4% Omaha Steaks Food & Wine
    7% On Line Sports International
    Sports & Recreation
    5% One Step Ahead Baby & Maternity
    3% onehanesplace.com Apparel & Jewelry
    $3 OneShare Flowers & Gifts
    International
    5% Oreck.com Home & Garden
    6% Oregon Knife Shop Home & Garden
    Sports & Recreation
    3% Oriental Trading Co. Baby & Maternity
    Flowers & Gifts
    Toys & Games
    No Discount Orvis Apparel & Jewelry
    Home & Garden
    International
    Outlet Centers
    Pets
    Sports & Recreation
    No Discount Orvis UK International
    4% OshKosh B'Gosh Apparel & Jewelry
    Baby & Maternity
    2% Oshmans.com Sports & Recreation
    10% OutdoorDecor.com Home & Garden
    15% OvernightInkjets

They do give eBates and probably other BHO's specials commission rates and CJ autoloaded nightly incents to wack our return day cookies. Must be their PR spin to eliminate the PPCSE keyword players and couponers getting a leg up in SEO/SEM

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    The thing that doesn't make sense, actually, are those affiliate that refuse to feature them.

As if we don't have enough to do!! Chasing after coupons, for gosh sake. What a waste of affiliate energy.

Merchants that use coupons don't make my to do list.

No ebates merchants here, either.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Heck that place was dropped from most coupon sites long ago, they couldn't convert if they gave stuff away.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

I agree with you Connie as I now remember I removed most all their links for non-conversion a long time ago. Must be they are using some of those ornate weather vanes to see which way the wind blows.

Mike & Charlie ...

15 years and counting
    I've been reading a lot of cr@p lately here.

If you can't convert your clicks for sales with Outdoor Decor it's, may be, because something is wrong with your business model.

Anyway, I'm proud of the way this merchant is running their business.
    I just want to congratulate them for such a position:
    quote:
    It is not fair to affiliates when a coupon site can take the commission they have earned by having a customer do a search for a coupon after they have decided upon their purchase. - Outdoor Decor

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

I have to agree with Zeus on this one. I have no real feeling either way on Web coupons, but I think it's great people have strong opinions on both sides. That being said, it doesn't mean one is right or wrong.

Hats off to the merchant for being forthright about their effort here.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

ABW Ambassador
    It is certainly a narrow minded view on marketing, especially online. Coupons are utilized as sales tools and coupons are used in most every standard brick and morter store and as such have at least an equally integral part in online shopping where volume shopping can be potentially lucrative for merchants and targeting can be very advantageous.

It looks like they are merely trying to cut costs and control things themselves. This tactic is a gesture that will filter down to affiliate partners and even those of you who did not use coupons with them will eventually be effected negatively as their attempt, in the end, is to cut costs and control sales through internal means primarily.

The bottom line is that each and every partner has to decide if this "new" model fits what their business plan, coupon site or no coupon site. Perhaps it would be nice if we were a little more objective and not so easy to jump on someone elses business model, whether that is to never offer coupons or to do so exclusively...

Personally I have no choice in this matter either. I do post a few coupons thoughout my site when I can.

BUT Those lying affiliates that have created pages that entice a shopper to their site based on advertising they have coupons for a merchant, then show: NO COUPONS at this time. (When the merchant never offers coupons) is just a parasite. You people know who you are.

MY in my own opinion.

Allen

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

For large merchants like amazon that offer lots of products, go ahead with coupons and there are nothing wrong.

For mechants that concentrate on 1 or 2 products, coupons are bad and this phase applies

quote:
    It is not fair to affiliates when a coupon site can take the commission they have earned by having a customer do a search for a coupon after they have decided upon their purchase. - Outdoor Decor

quote:
    Originally posted by Gearshopper:
    BUT Those lying affiliates that have created pages that entice a shopper to their site based on advertising they have coupons for a merchant, then show: NO COUPONS at this time. (When the merchant never offers coupons) is just a parasite. You people know who you are.

I can accept this as there are really no coupons. But wwhat I hate is when there are no coupons, they say, "Click here for xxxx Coupon" or "Coupon - Click here to get xxx" and it is actually the tracking link that try to hijack the commission that should have been generated others hard work.

... duplicated ...

Gearshopper and Redfish, I agree completely.
    It is a few bad coupon sites that give the others a bad name.
    I can sell with coupons, I can sell without coupons. If stores have them I will use them. If not, I post sales and specials.
    I don't think it is really the coupons that are the problem, it is shady run coupon sites that are.
    They spam the search engines advertising coupons when there are none, they set their cookies by having the merchant link open in new windows when no one clicked on any link..

Connie Berg

AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONNIE Put your Flamingo Costume back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

15 years and counting
    There's a few well run coupon sites and Connie's site is one of them. The problem is that for one offering real coupons you have 999 sites that are just taking advantage of others and diverting the traffic with no value.
    I've been dissapointed more than a few time with expired or not valid coupons at the check out. It's not a good experience for the customer.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Gearshopper, this time of year I show the real me, it is the only time I can go out and not feel different. No one stares at me, points or laughs at me.
    Are you saying I am not attractive??

I will put the flamingo costume back on come November first.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    Coupons sites need to be sure to post coupon expiration dates, which is why our policy is to only post those with definite expirations....to avoid consumer issues.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Connie Berg wrote:

They spam the search engines advertising coupons when there are none, they set their cookies by having the merchant link open in new windows when no one clicked on any link..

Yes, we all know that very few merchants post coupons, yet the majority of coupon sites lure visitors with hopes of coupons for every merchant they can squeeze on their server.

I would encourage everyone to pass on Outdoor Decor's decision to other merchants. They need to be educated/reminded that many legitimate affiliates know this to be theft of their commissions. Most coupon sites are cookie thieves, and no better than eBates or any other scumbag outfit.

Sites like Flamingo World are extremely rare, with incoming traffic mainly from publicity endorsement and word of mouth. On the other hand, I have NOT seen one coupon site that relies on search engine traffic that isn't intentionally misleading and deceptive.

Do I hear a big AMEN to this observation......"Sites like Flamingo World are extremely rare, with incoming traffic mainly from publicity endorsement and word of mouth. On the other hand, I have NOT seen one coupon site that relies on search engine traffic that isn't intentionally misleading and deceptive."

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY TO PUT REAL VALUE INTO A CLICK ...from the consumers viewpoint??

Mike & Charlie ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast