I have read several posts that some of you are switching out the qksrv.net domain in your tracking links and replacing it with the IP address in order to defeat Kazza lite or Norton's Firewall.

I strongly advise against doing this.

Our hosting providers assign us IP addresses. The IP address that has been discussed is for our primary data center. If we were to fail over to another data center, we would resolve to a different IP address. If we ever switched hosting providers, we would get different IP addresses. This is why people use domain names. You can move them to different IP addresses without affecting the end user experience.

Do not switch out qksrv.net with actual IP addreses - they may not track correctly. Use the link code as it is provided in the member's area.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

I saw this on WebMasterWorld that they were using the IP instead.

They are doing it to defeat Kazza lite and/or Norton. Maybe it's time for CJ to take action?

After all, who gave them the right to block ads? I bet if a gadget came out that would block TV ad's the Networks would have a lawsuit on them in 1/2 an hour!

Why hasn't CJ filed against Norton and Kazza Lite?

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

quote:
    Originally posted by SJohnson:
    Why hasn't CJ filed against Norton and Kazza Lite?

Its a terrible day when someone finds out how many beds someone is sleeping in.

Why doesn't CJ register a domain (say clicksrv.net for example) and set it up to point to the same IP address as qksrv.net. Then we could use this domain to handle the clicks while qksrv.net would handle only the images. This way even if qksrv.net is in the HOSTS file and is set to 127.0.0.1, the clicksrv.net host will still continue to operate properly. And assuming clicksrv.net is used only for clicks*, no one would bother putting it in a HOSTS file to block, and CJ can change the IP it resolves to at their heart's content. This solution is very simple, costs only a few dollars to register the domain and a few minutes to setup the DNS zone. But I think it would put all our worries to rest and help us enjoy a profitable holiday season.

* Of course this all falls apart if affiliates start getting greedy and using clicksrv.net to display images, and then Kazaa Lite would have a reason to put clicksrv.net in their HOSTS file. CJ could eventually use the host header passed by a web browser to check which domain is being accessed and block image requests to clicksrv.net.

ABW Ambassador
    Having another domain for click tracking is not solution. Kazaa Lite or Norton will add that domain in the next patch. Much better solution is to have random subdomains which has been discussed several times in ABW. Because HOSTS file cannot use wildcard, it is not possible for Kazaa to block them.

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:

Our hosting providers assign us IP addresses. The IP address that has been discussed is for our primary data center. If we were to fail over to another data center, we would resolve to a different IP address. If we ever switched hosting providers, we would get different IP addresses. This is why people use domain names. You can move them to different IP addresses without affecting the end user experience.

Do not switch out qksrv.net with actual IP addreses - they may not track correctly. Use the link code as it is provided in the member's area.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Is this a sign of a change in Valueclick/CJ's hosting? Inquirying minds want to know.

Todd,

Really what's with this issue. You have made statments that it was being fixed. That a new tracking system was in the works.

Get those Norweigens off the Riveria and on the wagon.

This can't really wait for any changeover to occur. It's for the benefit of everyone and that includes U.

I can almost bet it's because of certain partner/affiliates of CJ that would not be able to stop their programs from overwritting affiliate links as they would have no reference file to work with. Time to kill the mockingbird?

Allen Nance
    In-site into truth

quote:
    Originally posted by KCEdit:
    Having another domain for click tracking is not solution. Kazaa Lite or Norton will add that domain in the next patch. Much better solution is to have random subdomains which has been discussed several times in ABW. Because HOSTS file cannot use wildcard, it is not possible for Kazaa to block them.

Yes and no. Kazaa Lite uses a HOSTS file, which means a click domain could be blocked, but *WHY* would they block it if all it does is serve clicks? There would be no reason as I said before.

Now as far as I know Norton doesn't use HOSTS, they instead block requests to qksrv.net with software. Now with the random subdomain technique images could be loaded from anything.qksrv.net, which means for Norton to stop all qksrv banner ads they will block *.qksrv.net, bringing us back to square one.

Besides how long have we been waiting for "the next patch" (months) compared to how long will the solution I proposed take to implement (minutes).

Click cookies need to be set from qksrv.net so that the merchant reporting pixels will send the cookie along and the transactions will track. If the cookie is set from clicksrv.net, sales will not be reported. It is the same deal with the IP.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <
    FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! <

quote:
    Originally posted by Akiva:
    Click cookies need to be set from qksrv.net so that the merchant reporting pixels will send the cookie along and the transactions will track. If the cookie is set from clicksrv.net, sales will not be reported. It is the same deal with the IP.

Actually as far as I can tell the cookies are set by commission-junction.com domain not qksrv.net since that's the one merchants use for reporting. Have a look at this thread for more insight. So instead when qksrv.net redirects, they should send you to randomtext.commission-junction.com and the commission-junction.com server should set a top level cookie. That seems to be the way to go.

Actually two cookies are set since some merchants are still using commission-jucntion.com for reporting. What I am trying to say is that no change can be implemented overnight and it would involve have all merchants switch their tracking code.

Akiva Bergstrom

EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    > Join now! <
    FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    > Join now! <

Hi guys,

I've just signed up with cj and straight away fallen foul of the problem with my link code being 'stripped' on publishing. I use Norton internet security and guess from the thread that this may be my problem. Is there anyway of overcoming the problem and still keep Norton active?

cheers

Yep. Go into the control panel and disable the ad blocker. That'll fix everything.

Akiva Bergstrom

EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    > Join now! <
    FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    > Join now! <

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    ask Norton for a refund.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

quote:
    Originally posted by Drewbert:
    ask Norton for a refund.

That is a DARN good idea, if everyone asks for a refund they would have to reconsider there take on what is set as defualt!

Akiva,

many thanks for your response. Working fine now. Not sure what I'm going to do about the AD blocking though?

cheers

quote:

Yogi62: Is there anyway of overcoming the problem and still keep Norton active?

Yeah, get Todd to persuade Valueclick to sue Symantec's a**es off for restraint of trade, and then have a judge force them to rewrite the code.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    quote:

Yogi62: Is there anyway of overcoming the problem and still keep Norton active?

Yeah, get Todd to persuade Valueclick to sue Symantec's a**es off for restraint of trade, and then have a judge force them to rewrite the code.

It amazes me that there aren't more lawsuits in this industry.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Again, just to be perfectly clear, do not substitute an IP Address for the qksrv.net domain in your tracking links. I promise it will not track sales or leads.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread