Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Todd, I'm getting ready to put up a BIG site. I'm banning bots that suck up bandwidth and clutter up my log files.

Would you be so kind as to tell us what penalities will be imposed on my new site if I ban CJ's spider?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    CJ needs to change their spider's name to BBDbot as in, "BHO bird dog" bot, since that gleened info sure isn't helping normal affiliates sales.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

great timing for this thread.

todd, i have NOT been part of cj for MONTHS, furthermore, ive sent numerous requests to your company to stop spidering me.

so far today ive had this...

8 CJNetworkQuality; http://www.cj.com/networkquality
    just on ONE of my sites!

this needs to stop. if it doesnt, my new script is going to hurt. it acts similar to those anti-spam emails when a spammer hits you up it feeds it full of garbage....

no trespassing. last warning.

id be really mad if it wasnt for the fact that im so amused at the word "quality" being in the same line as the word "cj".

[This message was edited by BigTop on September 01, 2003 at 05:58 PM.]

Ditto for me to Todd. You are STILL hitting a site that has never had a CJ links on it as long as I have owned it. I bought the domain in Feb and yes it was previously listed on CJ by the previous owner, but you told me back when the spider first started that my site had been removed from the CJ spider database. I see today that the spider was back. Why? Why are you still hitting my site? This is a LinkShare ONLY site now.

CDitty

----------------------------
    ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

I never did get an answer as to why you were hitting my new domain that isn't developed yet either. You said you were going to check on that...

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Todd? Hello?

ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

ABW Ambassador
    cj.com? Hello?

carneol

Todd must be in Europe again. (or maybe another planet?)

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Todd must be in Europe again. (or maybe another planet?)
    More likely at the Parasite Ball

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Want parasite free? BUY a T
    Help rid your community of all maggotts

Let's keep this on top so when he FINALLY comes back, he'll see it.

btw...hit again for 3 days in a row on a non-cj site.

Chris

The spider has lately been obeying robots.txt for my domains.

oh, wait, I think that was a .htaccess change I made. Yeah, it was.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

It looks like Todd is only posting once a week now.

Last posts were:
    Aug. 28 (1) Actually paid me a compliment.
    Aug. 20 (2)
    Aug. 15 (8) Wow, talkitive this day!
    Aug. 8 (2)
    Aug. 1-7 (11)

Compared to July, he has dropped his posts by about 65% in August. I think that is pretty significant. Is there a hidden message here?

This is about the least I've ever seen him respond. Either his ability or interest in commenting here has changed or else we just are not complaining enough.

I have noticed, though, that CJ Topics such as these seem to get the quickest response:

"In Praise of CJ"
    "Two Thumbs Up For CJ"
    "Cut the horse*#@("
    " Help!!! my account just got DEACTIVATED"
    "How do I get CJ to respond - sales not tracking?"

Can you tell it is Friday and with no sales coming in I have nothing better to do that count the number of postings at ABW? Hopefully sales will pick up and I can get occupied with that for a while.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Hi there - I have been very busy, hence the lack of responses/posts.

What's the question? Something about the CJ Spider?

BTW, is this the 200k post?

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd, I hope this is not you just trying to be cute. We have valid questions and deserve answers.

So nice to see that you post this cute little reply then leave.

Chris

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    BTW, is this the 200k post?

You HAVE been missing out on what's going on haven't you?! The 200k post happened last week. BLFH won it.

quote:
    What's the question? Something about the CJ Spider?

Whiznot said, "Would you be so kind as to tell us what penalities will be imposed on my new site if I ban CJ's spider?"

Personally I take your unresponse as Corporate for "no penalties" but if there really ARE penalties, Whiznot (and everyone else interested in doing what he proposes) deserves to know for sure instead of finding out by surprise.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

If you prevent the Spider from accessing your site, you may have problems affiliating with advertisers that require monitoring for compliance with their Ts&Cs or our Network Quality department may have an issue because then they are required to manually monitor your site. This is time consuming and they may find it more cost effective to deactivate your account versus manually monitoring it.

Unless you have something to hide, I see no reason to prevent the spider fomr accessing your site.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

So if we block it from sites that have no CJ links, there is not a problem then, right?

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Todd, I still want to know why you are hitting a site that you supposedly took out of the spider database.

Chris

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Todd,

Sorry, I try to be on CJs side when I can, but I don't see CJ doing much to enforce ANY TOS or COC! Outright commission stealing and drive by downloads are being allowed to continue, yet you police sites that are not even active CJ affiliates???

Todd said:

"If you prevent the Spider from accessing your site, you may have problems affiliating with advertisers that require monitoring for compliance with their Ts&Cs" "Unless you have something to hide, I see no reason to prevent the spider from accessing your site."

What is CJ doing about the real thieves?
    If I don't see some action to remove the ones that have been reported to CJ like Pointspassport (Aspire Communications) and others, then I have lost all faith in CJ.

See the threads here and then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...9&f=7386049614

Do the right thing and police dishonest publishers and make them pay by removing the from the network. You will be amazed at the support you will get!

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

[This message was edited by Catalyst on September 05, 2003 at 10:07 PM.]

How much bandwidth is it costing you to have CJ's spider run through a few pages of your site? Just curious how one would put a dollar value on that.

Fred

You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

Before I blocked it, it pulled 6 megs from a 16 page site. And that was in 1 day.

Also, they are still hitting non-cj sites.

Chris

Also, I seem to recall it actually crashing a few affiliates sites, therefore making them completely inaccessible. Do you want this crawling your site?

Chris

quote:
    you may have problems affiliating with advertisers that require monitoring for compliance with their Ts&Cs or our Network Quality department may have an issue because then they are required to manually monitor your site.
    Todd come on, you know as well as I do this is a load of bullshoot!!!

I am sick to bloody death of sending you evidence of overwriting, and redirecting. CJ do not do a bloody thing about it apart from say we will look into it. They wont even answer a question that was sent in the correct way all we get back is a load of bullshoot that skirts around the questions that we ask.

Nothing personal meant against you Todd but I'm just pissed off at not getting any sense out of anyone at CJ, it seems to me a major qualification to be able to work at CJ is you have to be a good liar, and I have to admit some of you lot are not even that.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

"Before I blocked it, it pulled 6 megs from a 16 page site. And that was in 1 day. "

So you're saying the CJ spider hit the 16 page site over and over and over in one day?

Fred

You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

duplicated msg edited out

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast