Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has anyone received the following:

quote:
    We regret to inform you that the Commission Junction advertiser ForeclosureNet has chosen to expire its affiliation with you effective 19-Nov-2003.

If you would like to locate another advertiser in the network to partner with, login to your Account Manager (http://www.cj.com/login.jsp) and visit the Get Links tab.

I always appreciate these highly self-explanatory drive-by terminations.

Apollo

ABW Ambassador
    Makes sense, I guess they "forclosed" on you...

quote:
    Originally posted by Survey Man:
    Makes sense, I guess they "forclosed" on you...

Good One!

Apollo

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I am trading somewhat hostile emails with the AM right now. In fact, I just added him to my 'block' list. I was frustrated and unleashed on him for not actually checking with affiliates before he cut them, and he reciprocated, calling me an arrogant a******. Which is fair, I guess, because I referred to him as lazy and an idiot. I did suggest that a more prooper term for me might be 'common sensed a******'........

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

ABW Ambassador
    Yikes, that is pretty extreme. I guess that answers anyones question about the value of working with a partner that curses at it's affiliates. This should never happen, no response would have been more appropriate.

ABW Ambassador
    Shall we start our own CJ merchant termination list? Lets start with this fool and see how he and the rest feel when there's nobody there to promote them . . .

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Want parasite free? BUY a T
    Help rid your community of all maggotts

It should be CJ's policy as a neutral party to have it so that any termination by a merchant have in addition the explanation of why? Many hours of work of time and/or investments might be behind a publishers affiliation with an advertiser and to be terminated without an explanation is wrong.

But...its probably asking too much.

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

Yup, I got the same email.

Hello guys. I appreciate Haiko bringing this string to my attention. I did "inappropriately" respond to Elbow Creek in an email earlier today. In my defense this was only after he chose to call me names and make assumptions that had nothing to do with our business relationship rather than simply ask why he had been expired. I have since corrosponded with him and I have apologized for unloading on him. I just wanted to clear that up first.

Secondly. As I told Elbow, we dumped a number of affiliates yesterday in an effort to "clean house". Our CJ EPC's are suffering and I have been directed to "do something about it". By setting our program on "auto accept" we were flooded with THOUSANDS of publishers, many of whom never uploaded links or were sending MILLIONS of impressions with very few clickthroughs. This, as you know, MURDERS our EPC's.

I purposely expired affiliates who have been with our program for 3 months or more who have not performed. Our "CJ Standard expiration" email went out to those publishers who were dropped. I will agree, the email is vague-ish and I will work on updating it. I took this program over from another AM, and have not had the time to curtail it to my (or your) liking.

The CJ advertiser interface isnt the most customizable, and having to weed through 2000+ affiliates (1850 of which were not performing)was becomming too time consuming. Now that the program has been shaved down, I will be able to individually accept new publishers and work more closely with them on optimizing their efforts.

All of that having been said, if any of you feel you were "wrongly" expired or desire to rejoin the program, I urge you to email me. I have recieved 15 or so thus far, and re-admitted all of them to the program, no problem. Only ONE publisher decided to launch insults my way as you all may have read.

I really do hope this clarifies this a bit.

Onward and ever on.

Jason

Jason McQueen, Affiliate Manager
    ForeclosureNet.net
    CJ/25%/120/Unlimited
    Join Now!
    NO PARASITES, EVER!!!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Like I said in my previous post, I let loose on you, so I was not really surprised you tagged me back. No harm no foul, word wise. If someone else can make money with your program, that's fine by me, this'll be the last I comment on it.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

3 months?? I often don't even get to a merchant for the first month after I join. They are on the "to do" list. Usually, at the bottom. And, it frequently takes a couple of months for search engines to grab the entire site. Then, if I have to tweak it for higher rankings we are on four months. Are you a little over zelous, perhaps?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Jason,

In all fairness, the window should be set for 6 months, IMO ... you have to allow sufficient time to let the affs work their way up in the SERPs.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Yes, six months is the number I was thinking, too.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

SSanf - agreed on timetable issue. Hence, nothing ventured, nothing lost.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    One thing I'd really love to see added to the CJ interface is that when you hit the brick wall of a merchant that wants to approve your program application, you are given the option of sending them a short note tacked to your application.

I don't think the info available via the standard CJ interface is often enough for them to make a educated decision on whether you are suitable as an affiliate.

Once you have more than about 30 websites, it becomes impractical to load them all into the CJ interface. And especially when say only two of those are suitable for a new merchant, it'd be nice to send them a note with "check out blahblah.com and blehbleh.com".

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

quote:
    Originally posted by ForeclosureNet.net:
    ...many of whom never uploaded links or were sending MILLIONS of impressions with very few clickthroughs. This, as you know, MURDERS our EPC's.

EPC is calculated on a per click basis, not impressions.

6 months it is then. Thanks for the advice. Live and learn.

J-

ForeclosureNet.net
    CJ/25%/120/Unlimited
    Join Now!
    NO PARASITES, EVER!!!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    By setting our program on "auto accept" we were flooded with THOUSANDS of publishers, many of whom never uploaded links or were sending MILLIONS of impressions with very few clickthroughs. This, as you know, MURDERS our EPC's.

When did impressions get thrown in the EPC equation? Anyone know? Isn't it actual clickthroughs compared with sales in dollars?

ABW Ambassador
    This outfit started with CJ just this June 2003. That is an extremely short amount of time to take such drastic action.

Like Haiko had suggested, it takes awhile for affiliates to manipulate/spam the search engines for you.

Many publishers that hang out here like coupons. So why not offer coupons for foreclosed properties?

How about a $3.00 off coupon for the following property:

http://www.foreclosurenet.com/img/shack.jpg

quote:
    or were sending MILLIONS of impressions with very few clickthroughs

should be worth an E for Effort. shows the links are up. work on your creatives, maybe?

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

quote:
    Jason wrote: Our CJ EPC's are suffering and I have been directed to "do something about it". By setting our program on "auto accept" we were flooded with THOUSANDS of publishers, many of whom never uploaded links or were sending MILLIONS of impressions with very few clickthroughs. This, as you know, MURDERS our EPC's.

Jason,

Millions of impressions have absolutely no effect on your CJ EPC, unless they're all being clicked on with no sales. Unless clicks occur, the impressions aren't hurting your EPC at all.

Your question should probably be, why so many impressions with no clicks? Do your creatives need to be updated? If you're getting lots of clicks and no sales, this could be due to your site, not the affiliate site. If there's a click, there's interest. If the visitor is on your site, the affiliate has done their job. Now you must do yours.

I know there are exceptions to the rule, but an affiliate's job is pretty much done when the visitor lands on your site.

Andy

quote:
    Originally posted by Herb:
    quote:
    or were sending MILLIONS of impressions with very few clickthroughs

should be worth an E for Effort. shows the links are up. work on your creatives, maybe?

Agreed 100%!

Affiliates are not creative testers and as Andy says ... our job is done on landing so if the Click to sale ratio is bad then the site needs tweaking and respectively if the impressions to click ratio is poor you need to tweak creatives.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Damn, thats one ugly website, hard to navigate, I couldn't even find what you guys are trying to sell, whats up with the gal and the feathers??? Confusing, no wonder the clicks are going to waste.

JJAY. Our site is www.foreclosurenet.net you were looking at foreclosurenet.com..HUGE difference. Just had to clear that up first. We call her the "bird lady" here..

On other issues, I do realize that impressions have nothing to do with EPC's, I didnt clarify that in my last response. I do apologize.

I also agree that the affiliates job is essentially done once they deliver the traffic to our site.

We have been running an in-house affiliate program for almost six years. Our conversion ratios have remained consistent (the highest in our industry) for close to 4 years. For whatever reason, our CJ conversion ratios were lower than normal. I do relize we are casting a wider (less targeted) net, and I expected that.

I did not expect that thousands of affiliates would sign up for our program. And it was a little discouraging when I realized that only a very small percentage of them were sending clickthroughs and sales. We have a very specific, somewhat targeted product. We offer access to distressed property listings, of interest to a relatively small portion of homebuyers and investors. This does limit our audience. But if an affiliate has a captured audience for this product, their sales will go through the roof. We have several high six figure affiliates here in-house.

It takes time and money to manage affiliate programs, as you all very well know. We made a (very hasty) executive decision to shave our CJ affiliate poool down to the affiliates who were performing for us. This was done in an effort to streamline the affiliate managment process. I realize in retrospect that this should have been handled differently. We learned A LOT from your responses and have modified our program to accomodate all of your feedback. We are now allowing affiliates to remain in our program for atleast 6 months before they are considered for expiration based on their performance. We feel that this provides ample time for the affiliate to ramp up their program. We will also personally contact any potential expired affiliates in an attempt to help them be more successfull before we move forward with the expiration process. All things you guys suggested.

I would welcome any more suggestion from you. Please feel free to post them or email me at partners@foreclosurenet.net.

Thanks so much.

Jason McQueen

ForeclosureNet.net
    CJ/25%/120/Unlimited
    Join Now!
    NO PARASITES, EVER!!!

I just joined your program, and I'll be putting one of your banners where it will get 1000 to 2000 untargetted views a day, so it won't get many clicks or sales.

I often do that with a new program, until I decide if I want to promote it hard, or drop it, or just use the banner to fill the available space until something better comes along.

If I happen to make a few sales I'll probably put you on the list to promote harder, when I get the time.

But I won't hurt your EPC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast