Ok, how about the mals-e cart, with or without propay?

propay - good, bad, or ugly?

Mel
    Goal: $3000 per month by Christmas, 2003
    Sunset Beach Trading Company - Financially Free in 2003

When I first started I used Mals-e with Propay. It was a cheap entry solution for me. I still use Mals-e - great cart!

However back in Nov. 2001 when I started Propay had a $1,000 limit per month. I hit this in the first 2 weeks, so I immediately upgraded to a account with TrustCommerce/Network1. There is information about these guys at Mals-e.

The biggest thing with Propay is the time involved to manually enter all the customer information. There is no direct link from Mals to Propay as far as I know.

Using Trustcommerce it is all automatic, and it is great.

Let me know if you need any other information.

BTW, I have been in the e-commerce business since Nov. 2001 and I have 3 theme sites using drop shipping for product fullfillment. My goal for 2003 is to make $3,000/month strictly from affiliate programs.

The drop ship game is good, but time consuming. I have a full time job - that I don't plan on leaving - and I could just not afford any more time for drop ship type sites. So now I am building sites that will run themselves with affiliate programs.

Good luck on your goal! Keep us posted...

Burke

Hey - thanks for the reply Burke.

Ive been wanting to dabble in dropshipping for a couple of years now...

But we're not going that route. My wife sells a ton of a particular product via amazon... and she's getting tired of 2.5% So we contacted the manufacturer direct, and they've set us up a wholesale account, and we're going to sell the product ourselves. Nov '01 is when she first opened her content site... and we both kick ourselves for not IMMEDIATELY getting to work on a second, third, fourth, etc.!!

Once we get the cart/merchant/etc up and running for one product, that really opens it up for many different products. Although, the way she has this market cornered, we might not have time to sell more stuff!! But that's not a bad problem to have...

We'll probably always be a mix of aff & selling our own product that we get straight from the manufacturer. Seems like every waking minute is spent building sites, talking about building sites, or thinking about building sites!! The kids are getting sick of hearing about it, although they've both been after me to get them domains so they can sell too.. they have one now where they chat, put up pictures, etc... but they want to SELL STUFF!! Pretty cool I can have an aff conversation with my nine year old! I cant explain what I do to my mom, but my kid gets it!!

Thanks again for the info... good to hear you like the cart.

Mel

Mel,
    If you do more than a few orders a day, I would get a real merchant account and upgrade your Mal's account to premium. This makes the whole credit card thing seemless and saves you so much time!

My story is kind-of funny. I had done a bunch of research on all the things I needed to get into this business. My Wife thought I was crazy, I am sure I bored her to tears. BUT, she wanted to be able to stay home with our two young boys - and I wanted her to be able to do this as well.

So in late Sept 2001 I finally convinced her to let me give it a shot. We budgeted $150.00, somewhat begrudgingly on her part to kick this off.

Well, by the end of the first week on-line - she had changed her tune! Probably the only time since we were married 11 years ago that I can actually say "I told you so!". Now she gets to stay home with the boys, which she loves, and we actual have more money than when she was working full time.

Last year, Jan. to Dec., we did approx. $125,000 in sales. Not bad for a part time business! Now she thanks me every month when I write out the check. It feels good to gloat sometimes

Good luck, talk to you later.

Burke

Now Burke... those are some pretty big numbers you're throwing around! Dont want to get folks all excited now, do you?

What do you pay for TrustCommerce? 2.42% + .60 + 20/month? Did you get hit with the infamouse $750 surcharge to continue to do business with Visa?

I'm looking at Trustcommerce plus the osCommerce cart... I like the looks and functionality better than the mals cart..

Mel

The truth hurts! But still the profits are not close to what some of the super affiliates on this board are doing.

I looked at OsCommerce also. However, the biggest problem I see is with the ability of the search engines to crawl the pages. Even if they crawl them, I don't see them ranking as high as pure HTML pages do. I am sure that will change as the search engines improve, but right now it is enough to hold me back.

That is basically what I pay with TrustCommerce.

I have not even heard about that surcharge. Do you have any more information?

Burke

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I looked at OsCommerce also. However, the biggest problem I see is with the ability of the search engines to crawl the pages. Even if they crawl them, I don't see them ranking as high as pure HTML pages do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I read quite a bit on the osCommerce board about google spidering, and I feel good about sticking with the cart. Subject to change of course!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have not even heard about that surcharge. Do you have any more information?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have been looking EVERYWHERE for this! I read it on a board somewhere, but sure cant find it now. Apparently it didnt affect you, which is good news!

Mel
    Goal: $4500 per month by Christmas, 2003

Nope, no fee from VISA for me, at least so far.

I just noticed you raised your goal to $4,500 per month! Good job! So far I am at about $530 from CJ for the month, and around $130 from Amazon for the quarter. Not a bad start to my goal!

Good luck to you!

Burke

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread