Has anyone ever made any money on the CJ "publisher referral" or "affiliate referral" links, or are they just a waste of space?

ABW Ambassador
    For this year, so far, I have made just a little over two dollars from my referral bounty of 5% of my referrals commissions. You do the math - lol!

they aren't a "complete" waste of space but they do taste a bit nutty [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

the cj referal program has would have to make a c-o-s-m-i-c leap to be considered a great program, IMO it has a very low EPC considering the potential payout of a merchant sign-up but that never seems to happen apparently

the program has the potential to be shagadelic if only we could contact our referals and carefully explain to them how to make some dough

ABW Ambassador
    Those links do generate the occasional referral bounty, but expect to make quite a few referrals where that's all you get. On the other hand, the odds say that your sub-affiliates can't ALL be below average, so if you were persistent you would ... eventually ... acquire a few four or five star subaffiliates. The 5% bonus from that could add up nicely over time, although if you're an effective marketer the biggest part of your check would still come from your own earnings. Referring a new top-producing super-affiliate would be mostly a matter of luck, almost akin to purchasing the right lottery ticket.

I'd say if you have some content that would attract webmaster traffic, especially those who don't already know about affiliate programs, put some CJ links up and dream a little. Just remember there's no substitute for being an effective promoter yourself.

Elisabeth Archambault

And don't forget the next big money making venture you yourself turn out...sign it up separately under your first site links and get a 5% raise.

If anyone wants me to dig out the "go ahead" reply I got from cj on that one, I will.

NOt that I earn enough yet to feel like the extra 5% is significant, but hey, it is 5% , and it's paid out to me!

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: webmistress ]

The key would be to have a site where you memberatize people before you send them away to Cj. Start an educational site on affiliate marketing so that person under you stays with your site and then signs up as an educated affiliate at CJ.

Something like abestweb would be perfect for that.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Getting "publisher" customers for CJ is not a good way to make money. My "downline" (sorry for swearing) comprises of 113 people, who've had 181,328 impressions so far this month and they've produced 18 transactions and $5 for me. Whoopee. Boy, do I wish they'd figure out how to create revenue. It'd be nice if CJ would let me help them.

Now, finding an ADVERTISER for CJ is a completely different kettle of fish. THat would be nice.

>If anyone wants me to dig out the "go ahead" reply I got from cj on that one, I will.

Yes please!

ABW Ambassador
    If someone signs up then signs up again under themselves then the real referrer is SOL.

I said earlier in this thread that statistically there's no way all our subaffiliates could be below average. But if a lot of people are doing this, normal probabilities no longer apply. This would practically *guarantee* that all our referrals are below average, in which case there's little point in promoting CJ referral links.

Elisabeth Archambault

Well, I never planned that the content site wouldn't make money!!! By the time I started playing Follow the Leader, I also read this idea about getting a 5% raise. Now, the fun part is that I will hopefully also be playing Follow the Leader with the content site account, and if I am someone's sub affiliate, they should be able to buy pizza every month instead of just coffee and donuts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Also, if you don't earn anything on the main account, it's not likely you'll get up to the minimum payment too easily (unless you're a DonSteitz), so you still ought to be earning on the main account, which feeds your upline.

I'll dig up that email later today when I log into that mail account.

Here's the correspondence I had with cj:

To: vistuff@yahoo.com
    Subject: multiple sites [Incident:cj 010513-000056]

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
    center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours we will assume your issue
    has been resolved.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    multiple sites

Question
    There has been some discussion without getting a clear picture at the
    discussion board about signing up new sites ourselves from our own
    links.

Can you please give me the official CJ response? Can I sign up a new
    site from my own affiliate link, get the referral fee and 5%
    subaffiliate fee from the new site on my first site?

Thank you no matter what the answer is. The important thing is to know
    how to play by the rules!

all the best,

webmistress

Suggested Answer
    At 05/15/2001 08:43 AM we wrote -
    Hello,

You aren't actually supposed to sign up your own account twice, but
    beyond that the rules are lax. It is common for example for a husband and
    wife to each have their own account, one referring the other.

---- 05/15/2001 10:53 AM
    ----------------------------------------------Hi,
    I appreciate you replying. I am still unclear.
    Seeing as none of these are my sites...I webmistress
    for the site owner. He has multiple domains, each of
    which will probably be developed very independantly
    with very different content.

With the husband and wife example, I suppose the
    payout person is not the same, whereas for my
    siteowner it would be. Is that the difference?

Appreciate your clarifying,

webmistress

At 05/23/2001 10:35 AM we wrote -
    Hello,

It's actually okay to have the same payee several times. No need to
    worry about your situation. Thanks!

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: webmistress ]

I've gotten many 2nd tier publishers, making just a few hundred dollars a year extra for me.

Also, the comission for recruiting an advertiser is $259.00 and I have had a couple of them. It will always be a cookied transaction and doesn't hit till the advertiser has completed all the steps of initiating the program. Which are as follows:

Payment - $1795 $500 is escrow for sales
    Input banners/links min of 6 total
    Create publisher joining email
    Distinguish your categories and any extra ads to promote yourself in CJ's network
    Integrate tracking successfully -

After all this, when they login and get the main advertiser screen the cookie is read as to where they clicked thru and commission is given. Now if they take too long to perform all this then you lose. I think CJ has a 30 day cookie.

PS I'm thinking of raising our cookie duration from 30 to 45 just so publishers will feel more comfortable. It will never be going down for sure, nor will commission rates.

Good Luck

>the comission for recruiting an advertiser is $259.00 and I have had a couple of them

was that you signing up as an advertiser through your own links?

Yes, one of them was. The first time I had one was quite some time ago. I hear many people say that they've never heard of anyone getting credit for recruiting an advertiser. It does happen.

Realistically though, most advertisers aren't surfing sites to see where to launch a program. CJ.com is easy to type and almost everyone who is involved in making money on the internet has heard of cj.

Good Luck

Didn't CJ have this program years ago, then cut it (severing everyone's downline), then restart it?

sounds pretty shady to me....

I wonder if I signed up under someone and making them $. I can't even remember how I 1st found CJ.

Didn't CJ have this program years ago
    Yeah back in 2001 when this thread was started.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Arrow
    I don't know what happened in this program in the past year but over the previous year it became so watered down it was practically worthless to me.

Remember, this was not a regular CJ program, just something the boys in the back room cooked up. It required special permission to join, or something like that.

When I was a nothing "affiliate", back when Amazon was still a pup, and "some" banners were about your only option aside from text links (in the limited amount of affiliate programs there actually were at the time), and I had no serious interest in this field, I was accepted right away into their recruiter program.

When I became serious a couple of years ago, I tried to join again, it took 3 months to be declined.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

They work if you use them. What are you currently doing to promote the links?

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread