Is there a script to have on your web site to notify web surfer to turn off Norton or other software which blocks advertisement / information ?

If not the surfers experience will be confusing as links will not be shown to surfing customer. The prospect has no way of gaining entrance to promoted site thus a guaranteed lost sale and a lot of work down the drain.

To an average web site, what is the percent of surfers who have advertisement / information blocked? Percent of lost sales?

In summary, I'm looking for a php or cgi scipt to identify and advise the new prospect to my web site it's believed they have a browser block advertisement / information feature to please change it to see links. A possible help file on different ways of software to be disabled.

I seriously doubt you will find a cgi or php script to do this. Both of those run on the server before the page is ever given to the viewer. Norton does it's work after the page is retrieved. Your best bet would be for some JS, but even then I doubt that would work as it only works from within the browser itself and can't detect other programs. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.

Good luck. Find something and share.

Chris

----------------------------
    ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Well, you could try promoting Mozilla Firebird. It's THE alternative browser to IE.

I'm not familiar with what you say gets blocked. Is it just anything from the qksrv servers?

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

Holy Fudgesicles!

This Firebird is GREAT!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    When Norton blocks an ad image does the image's alt="text" gets displayed? I'm hoping someone will confirm that it does.

If it does, then I'll use the alt="text" to let visitors know that Norton may be to blame for the blank spaces and that blank spaces will lead to an inability to provide the content they are getting for free.

Wayne

Firebird is awesome. I use it at work and home now. Be sure to check out the plugins. The googlebar was the only thing holding me back and I found the plugin for that. It rocks.

NS, unfortunately, nothing it shown to the user. Just a big blank area. Norton strips EVERYTHING out. Doesn't even leave a placeholder.

Chris

----------------------------
    ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

ABW Ambassador
    The first impression of firebird is very good. Will give it a try.

carneol

Hi, from what I have worked out it's the Norton Advert blocking that causes problems, well it did on my PC....the alt-img idea is great if Norton left something on the page......a simple "if you can read this..turn off Norton ad blocking" might help our victims.....err.......I mean customers but from what Chris said and i seem to remember it dont leave a thing !

I have Norton Firewall set "off" for ad blocking but on for pop ups etc...a lot of sites will malfunction with Ad blocking on...even seemingly legitimate multi national companies...perhaps a general notice on the header page might help,

hope this helps a bit,

Malc

ABW Ambassador
    How is Firebird so great? Doesn't it block a link when an affiliate has it "open in a new window" as if it were a pop-up when in fact it is not? This would seem to be a hinderance to affiliate marketing. Can someone verify this with Firebird .7?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    unfortunately, nothing it shown to the user. Just a big blank area. Norton strips EVERYTHING out.

Thanks Chris, I thought it sounded too easy.

Here's something to try. (I was pointed to this from our friends at Webmaster World.)

Make an image file the same size as the ad being blocked, consisting only of text such as "If you can read this, you need to turn off Norton Ad Block."

Use it as the background image where the ad is displayed.

Example:

<table>
    <tr>
    <td WIDTH="125" HEIGHT="125" BACKGROUND="alternate_text.jpg">
    [affiliate link with 125x125 image goes here]
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

It requires creating a "container" for each ad, which is not a problem for me since I use lots of includes and ASP generated pages. It would be a chore for someone with a large number of hand-coded pages though.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Bump. Anyone able to test out the above?
    Wayne

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread