Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The last time CJ pulled a fast on and changed a fundamental part of their business model, they paid for it in the forums.

I'm just wondering...was the closing of the forums a precurser to same huge change in CJ's policies?

ABW Ambassador
    Good observation and an excellent question. Regardless of CJ hype, the Open Marketplace appears to have been static at best - and a miserable failure for many at worst.

Obstinatedon

Oh please don't say that. I never quite understand their move on ppc because it basically meant they would for some reason accept taking less money in and that means that money is not the motivating force at Cj.

So what is?

It's called cherrie picking. Starts out as a little experiment and if that works then on and on and on from there.

Get rid of the boards and who's complaining right?

Spongebob and Obstinatedon,

Welcome !

----------
    obsidian.cj.com is reading this as I post I haven't banned them yet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

above all, a scary move

i've read alot of speculation as to why they closed the forum, the popular opinion is the conduct of its members is responsible but i think that there is far more to it than that

i think difficult questions where being asked and i agree that it may be due to this and a combination of things

i agree that a policy change may be partly responsible, one thing in particular that i think needs to be clarified is cjs policy regarding reversals, it is rumoured that reversals with the reason "invalid credit card" will be edited out of the equasion which will give merchants a missleading EPC

the last newsletter i received from cj boasted about proof that the open marketplace really works but later i read at their forum that revenue had actually dropped relatively

this move has me worried about cj's general wellbeing

i hope that cj is still "tracking to profit" as lex says, i sincerely hope their investors haven't pulled the plug

We should startr posting at Linkshare's and Befree's message boards since CJ closed theirs.

quote:
    Originally posted by mr nobody:
    We should startr posting at Linkshare's and Befree's message boards since CJ closed theirs.

LINKSHARE has a message board??? :eek: Wow. Shows you what I know. The only reason I'm still there is supportkids.com uses them and man, I (being a single parent support page) get a whole schwack of money through them.

I'm hoping supportkids.com moves soon so I can be done with Linkshare once and for all.

ABW Ambassador
    I think Lex was being sarcastic, Linkshare and BeFree don't have Forums. Well, guess that now puts cj right up there with LS and BF. I don't know about you all, but that concerns me!

I had noticed that the closeing also came soon after someone suggested we start an Affiliates Union. My hubby works in a Union shop and I can tell ya, the companies hate unions. :eek:
    Possibly this got them spooked.

Also, great job Haiko on getting the message out there about this board!! Without you we would have no place to meet. When I saw the CJ boards had shut, I said to myself, "everyone will go to Abestweb." Yeah, they did!!!!!
    Thanks again!!
    Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

quote:
    I think difficult questions where being asked and I agree that it may be due to this and a combination of things

I agree, I reckon they were getting nervous about all the negative posts about cookies, merchants, practices etc.

I had a client who wanted an off-host board that could have message moderation, and blah, blah, blah. I thought that infopop's OpenTopic was a good bet on that one, and inquired about prices. I've recently deleted the whole file (don't have that client anymore, thankfully), but the prices were VERY steep even for a non-profit with about 5 employees planning on a low traffic board.

Lexxy may just have gotten tired paying for our bandwidth.

i'm convinced that something is up!

it was just too sudden, there was no warning

why did they say "ask the experts" would be answered on noveber 5th?

if it where a bandwidth or member conduct issues i think there would have been some warning

i am worried that it might be tempting fate to offer wagers as to whether cj.com will be around at christmas

ouch baby, very ouch

IMHO and with some (inside) information ...

I don't think CJ is going down the tubes ... It was a cognitive decision by management ... for a few reasons ... one of which I am privy to (but can not discuss) no it doesn't involve me LOL

CJ is still strong .... and I guess they knew we would all band together again ... and continue the discussions .... and make a better CJ ... or make CJ better (LOL)

Haiko

Webmistress,

>Lexxy may just have gotten tired paying for our bandwidth.

No doubt thats true, but I think they must be in deep financial doodoo. One of their merchants recently commented 'we notice they have recently closed abroad offices'

(exact quote changed to prevent searching internal CJ email)

Austin Powers,

>it was just too sudden, there was no warning

>why did they say "ask the experts" would be answered on november 5th?

The forum closure decision came from on high, the Nov 5th decision came from a bit lower down. One is a legislative decision, the other just executive?

Alternatively they are running round like chickens with their heads cut off and we'd better work out a way to keep merchant stats ourselves :/

f

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: francis ]

haiko baby,

tell us!

if there are several reasons but you cant discuss one of them then tell us the ones that you can talk about

and is mr nobody really sexy lexy?

mr nobody,

why in your opinion did cj close their forum?
    do you think cj will do away with everything else Linkshare and Befree dont have?

austin powers,

I can't baby ... I can't!

But, I can say that it was a "management" decision, and I, from what I know, seriously doubt that it was relating to finances ... Lex has always supported the forums while others wanted to do away with them (shoot ... looks like I'm standing up for him .. but I'm not just stating the truth! .... trust me I have been on the horn a couple, ahem, hours about the forums [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] as well as other things)

Yes, 99% sure Mr. Nobody was / is Lexy!

Haiko

Hey Haiko

I suppose that their loss is your gain.
    I've noticed that when I refresh the main page I usually notice a new member has joined. Can you say KACHING!

Sounds like a twisted agreement between Haiko and Lex to me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I've thought about the $$ that Haiko will make off of this. But the way I see it, this forum's success is our success. Besides, I see no problem with him making a few bucks off of me.

-Joey
    Note to Haiko: Christmas is coming! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Joey,

The band with and storage for ABW has been an indenture ad for the most part will always be (for reliability)

I have made arrangements with interland (old hostpro) for them to host us on two separate redundant servers ... (next week) and that is BIG bucks!

21. I will never sell or rent or otherwise distribute our mailing list ...
  22. I will never sell out to CJ .....
  23. I will never sell out to CJ merchants ....
  24. I, however, will sell banner ads, above the fold to only REAL COs ... no BS to offset costs

The bottom banner will only be for a reciprocal link to abw ....

As such, I will continue to "lose" money on ABW ... but It is a valuable resource .... and I can honestly say that I have learned many things from the discussions at CJU ... and want to continue the knowledge base for us all to ... learn and grow ... rich!

Haiko
    PS. No sick deal with Lex .... He really does hate me :confused: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I hope this board does keep growing because Joey is right, this forum's success is our success. This is the only board I go to now and I'm registered on about 5 (including the Cj board).

P.S - Whats the problem between you and Lex?

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Rik ]

I wonder what the odds are of any of the CJ management doing an open Q&A here at ABW?

187,287,090,089,099:3

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Rik ]

Haiko,

I'm impressed. I thought you were making some money off of this.

Rik,

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they'd answer a few questions if we promised to be nice. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

-Joey

I don't think that's Lex. I say the personality profile is that of Mr. Harry Ballsac (Dave afbh2000). What was his original again? Well, unless Harry Ballsac and Lexture are one and the same but they had one heck of a good arguement so that would be strange.

Nope it's Harry Ballsac IMHO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast