Is anyone else using CJ's data feed service? We need someone to show us how to use perl scripting to make use of the file CJ sends to us each week.
    Please help.

Or show us how to use it with ANY means of scripting. We run a redhat 8 web server.

to use the file you'll need to load it into a database server and write a script to query that database in an efficient and organized fashion.

If you don't know any scripting you'll have to hire someone or learn it. To learn it I would recommend sites like php.net or if you choose perl there is perl.net. I don't recommend going the perl route because I prefer php over perl and it seems to be easier for things like this. I also recommend using mysql for your database server. Php and mysql go together like peas and carrots.

I second what Heyder said. Perl is really good, but php and mysql seem to compliment each other nicely.

Chris

----------------------------
    ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Definitely go the PHP route. If you don't have to do it in perl, don't. Although perl is more powerful, it is much harder to learn and write.

Try this book: PHP for the World Wide Web by Larry Ullman. Part of the Visual QuickStart Guide series. Very good for beginners.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com
    It's not just underwear, it's fun to wear!

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Perl is excellent for doing mass data manipulation and display while PHP is great for data display by using less server resources and interfacing more seamlessly with mySQL etc. Another advantage to PHP is the ability to use mod_rewrite and mask it as static html pages. Though I've seen some nasty datafeed sites done in perl...

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <
    FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! <

ok, thanks for the replies. Anyone want to make a bit of extra cash and do this for us?

I'd be happy to give you a quote. Send an email to me at webmaster@NOSPAMscripts4yoursite.com (remove NOSPAM) and we can talk. Be sure to be as specific as possible.

Chris

----------------------------
    ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread