ABW Ambassador
    I was wondering if anyone has ever asked one of their affiliate manager's to personally increase their cookie duration? And, if so did they do it for you.

I have one merchant who I sent about 1200 clicks to yesterday with 35 conversions. They only have a 1 day cookie and I was thinking of asking them to give me a longer one. Wondered if any of you have ever tried it.

Thanks,
    Robin

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know if they can personalize this through CJ. I know they can with the commissions. I have suggested to advertisers to increase their duration, and occurences before. Some have stated that their higher ups wont let them, and some have, but it wasn't just for me, they did it for all their affiliates.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

The idea is so painfully obvious I would rather not admit the truth but now I guess I have.

ABW Ambassador
    I know about the ability to increase commissions per user because we have been contacted by merchants offering us special commissions. Have never asked about the cookie..but come on, a 1 day cookie. If I am sending that much traffic in one day (I am assuming that is a lot) then maybe I deserve to have a long duration.

Any, AM's out there..are you able to change cookie duration for 1 person?

Robin

My new years resolution is to review every merchant I have and unless there are some sort of rare and exceptional set of circumstances, remove every link that pays less than 10%, with cookie duration of less than 30 days and limits the number of occurences.

This should become a minimum standard for any serious affiliate that considers thier time to be worth something!

A 1 time occurence is better off with a 1 day cookie, at least you got another shot at it the next day, but thats nowhere near good enough. Has anyone noticed that some merchants are raising the cookie duration days only to limit the occurences? This seems to me like just another sneaky way of beating the affiliates out of their commissions.

Why do business with these people when there are so many others that are willing to be reasonable? If we all just quit promoting these cheapskates, they would either get right or drop out of the way and quit confusing the merchant picking process.

Time is valuable, focus on promoting only the worthy and ignore the fine print sharks. Minimum of 30 day cookies and unlimited occurences or classify them as an insult to affiliates! Otherwise, we deserve what we don't get!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Vintage Y2000 posts at Revnews showed all three network CEO's grilled by me on this very subject. All concurred that longer return day cookies were a limiting factor to the commission earning power of affiliates. Once out of the bag they invented the work arounds to appease the merchants with a pure play advertising mindset.

They invented and incubated the BHO ( infinite cookie setter) came up with the hidden 1 time occurance loop hole, set merchant override cookies in e-mail promotions from their Opt-out dupers and birthed the infamous popup/under cookie setter. So the affiliates were bombarded with increased cookie durations as a chewable bone for recruiting......

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    Originally posted by REM:
    I know about the ability to increase commissions per user because we have been contacted by merchants offering us special commissions. Have never asked about the cookie..but come on, a 1 day cookie. If I am sending that much traffic in one day (I am assuming that is a lot) then maybe I deserve to have a long duration.

Any, AM's out there..are you able to change cookie duration for 1 person?

Robin

Robin, in most networks a merchant can create a seperate set of terms and move certain partners onto those terms. Theoretically a merchant can create a seperate set of terms for each partner - though a few sets of differing terms should suffice.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <
    FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! <

Just thought I'd chime in here with two points:

1) Conversion durations (click to sales time differentials) vary from advertiser to advertiser and business vertical to business vertical. For example, lingerie usually converts 90%+ of clicks witin the session because it is an impulse buy. The remaining 10% typically convert within 72 hours. In this case a 3 day cookie would be fair. Of course affiliates would probably feel better if they were given a 30 day cookie for good measure.

2) We now provide the click date if you download your txn reports to Excel. This allows you to sort by advertiser and then determine their average conversion durations (valuable information IMO). One thing to consider is that during the holiday shopping season, you will see better click to buy times because people are more time sensative (in a hurry) this time of the year.

Oh yeah, and Akiva is right, advertisers can offer different referral periods to different affiliates - just like they can offer different commissions.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you Todd and Akiva, I appreciate your responding so expeditiously and on a Sunday, no less.

I hadn't decided whether or not to ask the merchant for an increase in duration, I just figured that I have so much traffic due to good listings and the holidays and that I know I have been shopping around online and comparing stuff and not necessarily buying that day. I didn't know if it'dbe worth it or not to ask the merchant for maybe a 3 or 5 day cookie.

28 980
    Today at this merchant I have 28 sales with 980 clicks. I would bet that tomorrow or Tuesday some people who clicked would go back directly to the site (it is an easy one to remember) and make a purchase. Therefore, I end up losing the sale.

What the heck, I thinkI'll give it a try! I don't know how many sales a day this merchant gets but I figure if I'm sending them 30, that's not bad! Right?

Robin

Robin,

Go For It, get at least 10 days ... so ask for 30 and settle on 14

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I hope we don't get into a game where affiliate marketing degenerates into people begging for special treatment, different cookie durations and all that garbage. An even playing field beats favoritism and whining contests.

Todd, I hope the merchants resist and keep to an even playing feild. For that matter, I think there should be a policy to halve the cookie durations for each treat me special whine that affiliates throw at merchants; otherwise the industry is going to look uglier than a pre school full of ****************.

sound thinking

((I didn't think that was prudent.))
    Heyder

[This message was edited by Heyder on December 01, 2003 at 02:09 AM.]

Y,

As a real producer, you have every right to renegotiate comms, terms and even ask for slotting fees ... what's your issue?

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    This is one of the few industries where there is still a somewhat even playing field.

When you get down to it. The whole parasite and duper issues are the direct result of insider favoritism. This post is simply asking for more favoritism. The same thing happened with the parasite list thing earlier this year. The moment that there is a secret little in, we are all supposed to jump for it like lemmings. I would rather deal with defined rules.

Personally, I think the more open and transparent the industry is the better it is. When the field becomes overgrown with hooks, twists and political gamesmanship, the industry loses a great deal of its potential.

quote:
    As a real producer...

And what exactly is a real producer? Where does real producer start and finish? Is it 1000 links a month, 10000 links a month, 100000 links a month?

Do you know the secret to being a "real" producer? Get a few people to share the same id. A pool of ten people working together appears to be a real producer. It is an illusion.

Meanwhile a company might actually have a structure with multiple accounts. It does not appear as a real producer. The stats are a chimera.

Even if a merchant wants to pay "real producers" more, then why not simply use a published scale. The industry needs more transparency not less.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread