I'm in the process of plugging in affiliate programs for my web site. I'd like to know if clickbank is safe to use or not. The last couple of threads on this forum seem pretty negative...

Is clickbank having problems or are the negative experiences of these people isolated incidents?

ABW Ambassador
    Clickbank is very limited in what it can do and lot of crapy products there (some good ones too)- but it has a very good track record for paying people on time.

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

I have been paid on time ever since I joined the program. Wayne is correct, that some of the programs are just not worth promoting. However, some of the programs are excellent examples of one page sales sites dedicated solely to selling a single product/service that convert very well.

Clickbank is safe to deal with. There are a lot of crappy offers there but then again I see a lot of crappy offers at a lot of places.

I do fairly good with several Clickbank programs and always get paid. The key is "targeting" affiliate programs to your sites theme. I think a lot of people (including myself) overlook Clickbank when searching for links which I feel is a mistake.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

I use Clickbank to sell as well as the odd affiliate link. The problem for me is the limited scope of the site - One currency only - USD, all charges on your credit card statement are marked CLICKBANK / KEYNETICS, hence the odd charge back from clients who cannot remember the product they brought. Also the commission rate is a horrendous 7.5% plus $1 flat charge. So I prefer paypal because they have multiple currencies, a much lower rate and the ability to mark the credit card statement with the name of the site or other meaningful reference.

I feature both, paypal first and clickbank second, take up rate is about 10:1. Currencies other than USD are about 1 in every 5 orders. Affiliate Payout to affiliates is zero (not suprising if I have paypal as well, however my logs show few incoming links from clickbank so I don't feel too bad) affiliate income from my referals is 1 a month.

Payments are fine but they pay by check, whereas I can move money directly to my account on whim from paypal. Also they have a retention of 10% and wait 14 days after you hit the minimum payout before sending your money (less a check charge of course).

Summary - A dinosaur, that unless it gets a grip on what its competitors are doing will disappear without trace. Don't buy their stock.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

One of the biggest problems with ClickBank "merchants" is that you send them traffic which they then divert to a non-paying commission method. (See above )

I sell a couple of digital products via ClickBank and recently both affiliate and "merchant" sales have dipped quite a bit. I suspect there is a downward spiral happening where the "first referral" rule changes broke the cause:effect link for many affiliates, so they stopped promoting ClickBank.

Additionally, there is almost no point selling (as an affiliate) anything for online marketers at ClickBank as everyone will take the commission for themselves as discount.

Your mileage may of course vary

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One of the biggest problems with ClickBank "merchants" is that you send them traffic which they then divert to a non-paying commission method. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Leaky sites" are problems that most affiliates have to deal with. Best thing is to size up the merchant and look for obvious "holes" in the sales process. If there are too many holes it is better to walk away. I think being able to walk away from deals is as important as making them.

ClickBank does have some good merchants and as Fcol stated clickbank has some great examples of niche merchants who are able to zero in on a dime and convert.

Clickbank is like an old gold mine. You have to sift a lot of mud to find the nuggets in the rough.

A good strategy to quickly sift through the rough is to drill down into the categories as far as you can go and look at the Top 10 Productivity Score (http://clickbank.com/ranking.html) in these categories to promote.

examples:

Index > Society & Culture > Investigation
    Index > Society & Culture > Law Enforcement

ClickBank has their own internal ranking algorithm to help affiliates figure out what is selling although they don't release any details on the algo itself.

If you are looking for higher quality "digital programs" to promote you might want to look at http://www.regnow.com

Regnow is owned by Digital River I think. Once approved you can drill into their Top 100 (or more) and see the best performers across thousands of software creators and genres.

Naturally it is useful to look at what types of products are selling on digital networks like these. If you see a lot of "categorical strength" it is a good signal that this category or genre of products might be appropriate for a "mini-site" or themed site.

Hope this helps,

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuyâ„¢:
    One of the biggest problems with ClickBank "merchants" is that you send them traffic which they then divert to a non-paying commission method. (See above )

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Clickbank could modernise their system - multiple currencies, payment direct into my bank account, reasonable commission rate and intelligent entry on credit card statement I would not need to use another credit card company.

I do not use Paypal to avoid paying affiliates commissions it is just that they offer the consumers and me more choice. Also paypal seems to convert better.

Having said that my turnover is now high enough to start looking at getting a full merchant acount.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

I have still not been paid. They plan to hold my money on reserve for over 210 days.(The normal time is 90 days.) I have filed a report on them to the Better Business Bureau. I really had done will with e-cookbooks library but won't because I like to be paid in a timely manner and that has not happpened.

Nancy R

Thanks for the wealth of helpful information folks. It leads me to ask another question ...

If not clickbank, which affiliate program manager would you use if you were just starting out? My site gets 10,000 uniques and 150,000 page views /month. That's ok for a content driven site that is 7 months old. I imagine that the traffic will increase substantially over the next year. Target audience is English teachers abroad. Any suggestions oh wise and experienced ones?

I would recommend signing up with all the affiliate networks you can and find/test a variety of offers (job-related, education, teachers supplies, education software, etc.. ).

One affiliate network which I think is a good fit for you is search4clicks.com which is an education related network. I also recommend searching for some targeted independent affiliate programs which could produce some good results as well. ( http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ate+program%22 )

If the majority of your traffic is not from the US then make sure the merchant you promote can sell/ship overseas.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

[This message was edited by wentzco on March 16, 2003 at 03:59 PM.]

The only experience I had with clickbank.com is that I tryed to buy something. And my credit card was rejected.

I am in the UK and you can time your watch by my Clickbank Commish cheque. Every 2 weeks and it's there.

They also pay the clients their money back as soon as they ask for a refund which is a goood thing and gives me faith in them.

"Detonate Your Web Site And Chop As Much As 90% Off Your Marketing Expenses When You Can Accurately Pinpoint Your Most Productive Ads, Visitors Or Products -- Quickly And Automatically, 24 Hours A Day!" www.hyperlinktracker.com

Clickbank is the easiest affiliate program to set up. Love the hop link. I do have a problem with thier categories, I think they allow the merchants to place their ads in whatever category they feel is relevant to their product, but these merchants just look for where is the most action and stick their NON RELEVANT site in there. Drives me crazy, the only one provider that seems to keep a lid on this is Commission Junction. The rest of them need to get to work on categorizing their merchants. I found a boating company in the computers category at befree. dumb.

I agree with what has been said, count on your check showing up when it's supposed too.
    I also will agree with Wayne on regnow, I use them a lot, and they pay twice a month now, shows up like clockwork in my bank account. If anyone wants to sign up thru my affiliate link, I'd be happy to PM it too you . They have lots of the same type of offers as clickbank, software, screensavers, etc, the good thing about them is you can describe the product on your site and send them straight to the buy page, so they can't divert traffic. Oh did I mention, consolidated payments!

I am a non-US affiliate, and regularly get my clickbank checks - pretty much like clockwork.

The one disappointment is that sometimes there are a significant number of refunds/reversals that go on.

But other than that - you just gotta pick the right programs/links to fit in with your site.

Hi Wayne Porter,

You wrote:
    If you are looking for higher quality "digital programs" to promote you might want to look at http://www.regnow.com

Regnow is owned by Digital River I think. Once approved you can drill into their Top 100 (or more) and see the best performers across thousands of software creators and genres.

Regarding RevTrack...I had a look at their site. I'm wondering why do they not list some of the programs affiliates can up for? I don't want to send off my website info without having any idea of what RevTrack's programs are. What's the big secret? Just wondering...
    Thanks.

I really can't complain much about ClickBank, considering I bring in over 6k a month with them...

I agree you have to sift through the crap to find decent products. But once you do (and the Merchant is honest enough NOT to offer an alternative payment method on the landing page his clickbank referrals are sent to), you can do quite well.

Further, I have NEVER (in over 2 years) had a check arrive late. Sure, I'd rather have ACH, but I can pretty much count on my checks being in my mailbox on or before the 4th and the 17th of every month ;-)

Erik

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread