Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am in the process of weeding out merchants who are participating in one action occurances at Commission Junction.

The trend at CJ lately seems to be to allow one sale in a designated period of time. Thus, if you send a customer to store A ten times in 120 days, you only get paid for the first...

If you have seen any merchants who are doing this , please take a moment to list them here. I will be going through my whole list in the next week.

Thanks!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Perhaps I am wrong but I thought that it went like this.
    The one occurence was for the initial cookie. They have x return days to come back but you will only get credit for the one sale in that time.
    IF they go through your links again, that sets an additional cookie.
    What this ensures is that all sales from your site are credited to you, but not if the buyer goes directly back to the store and makes purchases 2, 3, 4, 5 withouth going through your links again........

ABW Ambassador
    You got it right sheepiedog.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

Ok what am I missing?

"The one occurence was for the initial cookie. They have x return days to come back but you will only get credit for the one sale in that time"

That means if they shop ten times in 120 days and it is one action occurrance in 120 days, you still only get paid for one sale.

I something flying over my head? It is late and I am tired, so I could be missing something... Thanks :0)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    double post

ABW Ambassador
    You got it right anne. You're both saying pretty much the same thing.

1 occurence, 120 days.

Means one sale on that cookie with 120 days to do it. If they go back within the 120 days and shop again you don't get credit again UNLESS they come back to your site and get another cookie. I like handing out cookies

This was a topic in the cwd thread and this is what a merchant (CWDKids) responded...

"If the user makes a purchase after clicking on our link or banner, and comes through that link or banner again, you will not get a commission again. Only one commission is allowed to be paid to the affiliate per customer within the 120 days."

I have also had another merchant tell me the same thing.

There needs to be clarity on this, I think I am not the only one confused.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, one of the reasons i don't have them on my site, it definetly needs to be made clear. But most merchants operate like in the examples above, every time a link is clicked another cookie is set. The way CWDKids does it, is not very good. Who was the other merchant?

I just checked CWDKids terms and:

Action Criteria Not Specified
    Action Referral Period 120 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences 1 time(s)
    Commission 5.00%

There is no mention of what they posted in their thread in the terms. CJ needs to look into this because they lose money too.

I don't think it is fair if we only get paid for one sale in three or four months, with ANY merchant, especially if people are reclicking through our links to order.

I am not seeing any clarity anywhere... it appears that 1 means just that 1 sale if they buy within the entire 90 or 120 days.
    I will call CJ next week if a CJ person does not respond over the weekend. I am not leaving merchants up if I am not getting paid for repeat sales over extended periods of time though my links. Hopefully the merchants have it wrong, and a click does reset the cookies, That would be nice. But if not, that would explain why people are complaining about decreased commissions at CJ.

You are absolutely right Anne. Not only it isn't fair, it is ridiculous. It is ridiculous to carry these merchants' banners and get them sales without any further commissions. Whoever invented/implemented this plan is an obvious exploiter of human beings. It is a shame!

huhu

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Anne,

CWDKids is a special case, they call it a "lead sales only". Other sites pay per sale so what sheepiedog said is correct for all other merchants is right.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow gifts and collectibles

I will still call CJ next week, for clarity. Far too confusing to chance getting ripped off for the holidays. Too many paying merchants with good cookies to replace poor ones.

What a cool site, with cows.... Ben and Jerry must love your site !

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Since we started this thread, maybe I should clarify - sheepiedog is correct. CJ's term for one-action occurance is very confusing and not very clear for both the affiliates and the advertiser.

It is because of this we have recently reverted back to unlimited 5% commissions with a 7-day cookie. Although what we were trying to do was legal under the CJ rules even without posting anything in our T&C's, it was simply too much trouble to implement for our time to add the programming on our end necessary to do what we wanted to do.

We do still encourage all affiliates to lead a significant number of new customers to our website, but do not force it any more. It is unfair to both the affiliate and the advertiser the way CJ has specified and explained this term. We have complained about this unclarity to CJ, and recommend affiliates do so as well.

==============================
    Jesse Stay
    Web Manager
    http://www.cwdkids.com
    jesse@cwdkids.com
    (804)270-7401 ext 310

Most merchants have single action occurances. A 120 day cookie is a good deal, its a single action not a single day cookie. It means you get paid if someone clicks on your link and buys within 4 months. There are not many merchants with a better cookie than that. It may seem unfair not getting paid every time someone buys something from somewhere when you went to all the trouble of pasting a link from cj onto your page but think about it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    2 other CJ merchants I know of locking out repeat sales commissions from the initial referral cookie site is GiftTree and Bonsai Boys of NY. One for 30 days and the other for 45 days. In doing some test purchases they explained they didn't show up due to the referring affiliate cookie was locked from multiple transactions after the first sale. Basically the excuse is one sale during the remainder of the cookie duration. Thanks for the FREE traffic and put up more links or open multiple accounts.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Not making the exact terms clear is very misleading if not outright fraudulent. Another reason to stay away from CJ. You don't have a clue what you are agreeing to!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

quote:
    It may seem unfair not getting paid every time someone buys something from somewhere when you went to all the trouble of pasting a link from cj onto your page but think about it.

That's all you think we do????

Boy! I guess you are new!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

You really need to look at how the merchant performs rather than looking at cookie duration, commission percent, one action limitations, new customer only commissions, parasiteware, etc. Although all of these things can reduce sales, it's still possible to perform well. It's best to look at the end results and decide based on that. If I got rid of all of my merchants that do these things, I would make less than half as much as I do now.

Bring these settings to the attention of the merchants. Many probably aren't aware of them, or of the displeasure that it causes with their affiliates.

Merchants really should keep things simple and consistent, and avoid things like this. I have one merchant (who isn't mentioned anywhere on ABW--I searched) that pays a commission based on "profit" rather than sales. If you make a $10 sale, there might be $3 profit, and they pay the commission on the $3, not the $10. Plus, the percent is about half of the industry average (and even lower when you calculate it based on sales). Why do I keep them as a merchant? Because they perform well.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

quote:
    That's all you think we do????

I can search google for coupons and keywords relating to any given merchant and damn well see thats what most people here do. Most of the people here dont know how to do affiliate marketing, they just know how to spam google with top ten lists with the highest paying merchant at the top of the list and then whine about it here that they get tons of clicks and no conversions. I really wanted to hint at the lack of craftsmanship but since you guys have trouble understanding sarcasm I'll come out and say it. Your sites are shit. Most of you couldn't compete with my dog because youre lazy and have no imagination or ability to think of something unique. Most people around here think being clever and unique means uploading a datafeed. All most here are capable of is creating a copy of a copy of a copy and they think theyre great at this job. How sad.

Andy

quote:
    Your sites are shit.

Your full of beans!

Tyler,

Completely uncalled for! Perhaps you need to look for another forum where foul mouth comments like that are acceptable.

Put your money where your mouth is and show us your sites. Show everyone the "correct" way to do it before you tell us all how badly we do it.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Step up to the plate Tyler.

Show us YOUR sites, so we know what we're supposed to be aiming for, to win your approval, which we so desperately need.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

Why are my comments uncalled for? Someone has to say it. Why do you think this google update is named florida, hurricane style? If your site is not spam why are you upset? There are too many people buying disposable domains and cutting and pasting nothing but aff links onto them. This behaviour is going to get all aff sites banned.

You already know that I am not going to post my url. I dont need my sites xeroxing any more than they already are and besides why do I need to show you? Are you seriously saying you cant take a little pride in your work and think of an idea that will make visitors to your site think "wow, what a great website"?

There are plenty of intelligent people here that can follow incredibly complex concepts yet when faced with something that they dont want to hear begin to behave like kindergardeners and need it spelled out for them. You dont need to see someone elses site, you are perfectly capable.

The majority of affiliate programs typically pay only for the first lead or sale that you refer within their return days - regardless of whether they use a network provider or run the program in-house. Commission Junction just makes it easier for affiliates to see how they get paid for doing what (does this sentence make sense?).

Three reasons why an advertiser might offer only one occurrence:
    1) Customer acquisition model - pay a commission or bounty for getting a customer.
    2) Txn can only occur once - i.e. registrations, loan applications, single product offers, etc.
    3) Willing to pay the affiliate multiple commissions but only if they are able to continually refer the customer to buy through their links. In other words, if people keep clicking on your link to make purchases, you will keep getting commissions.

When considering a program offer, you need to evaluate multiple aspects like the referral period, occurrence limit, commission rate and the specific actions you will be paid for because all of these shape the overall offer. EPC metrics also help shed some light on the potential value of the offer to affiliates.

I guess what I am saying is (1) contact your non CJ merchants and see if they know whether they pay on all occurrences within their return days or just the first txn and (2) don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast