Has anyone heard about the rumor that adwords is about to ban affiliates from advertising on Google?

Check out these posts:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum81/3886.htm

and

http://www.clickbanksuccessforum.com...4149e276716b03

What does everyone think about this situation?

Think the rumor is false?

Cant say rumors are false but surely they are quite strong. Its not good for aff not having their own websites.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

ABW Ambassador
    Rumor. Affiliates make Google a great chunk of change, plus i read on another board they held an adwords university just for affiliates in London a couple of weeks ago. Google makes too much money from affiliates.

I think it's a good idea. Not exactly sure why but it would drive down the price of keywords for those of us who want to promote our sites instead of just an affiliate link.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mikey The Geek:
    I think it's a good idea. Not exactly sure why but it would drive down the price of keywords for those of us who want to promote our sites instead of just an affiliate link. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt say that. Lot of poor affiliates will suffer either they dont have time or skills to develpe websites. You and me have a website but they dont.

Ultimately, they will try to find alternatives and it will result in more and more people turn to make websites so again we will end up in more competition.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Rumor. Affiliates make Google a great chunk of change, plus i read on another board they held an adwords university just for affiliates in London a couple of weeks ago. Google makes too much money from affiliates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't concerning all affiliates, only the affiliates that market without a website. I didn't even realize Google allowed you to link directly to a merchant until a few months ago. I thought how could they allow this. Anyway, no big deal to me.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

It wouldn't suprise me at all.. the problem is with some products is that virtually all the ads are taken up with the merchant and it's affiliates, and it devalues the ads from a surfer's point of view.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Yup I agree Dynamoo. And if you do a search on google how many times have you seen 4 to 5 eBay sponsored links?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I always thought it was strange that Google allowed direct linking from AdWords. It's my understanding that most PPCs do not allow that. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor was true.

Personally I have a mixed reaction to the rumor. It'd be nice to not have so many AdWords ads competing, but on the other hand, I don't like the idea of the pile of new competing websites that'll be appearing if they ban it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    pile of new competing websites that'll be appearing if they ban it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be my concern. Just imagine even 50% of them start to build their own websites. I am sure no. is going to be quite high.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Makes sense to me from a AM, Merchant, and a domain bound affiliate viewpoint. The idea behind charging for keyword Ads was to eliminate SE spam ...not add another layer to it.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    I don't like the idea of the pile of new competing websites that'll be appearing if they ban it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt the sites they create will be any sort of competition for those of us who have been building websites for the past several years.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

http and a telephoto
    I don't think they will all build websites because they are working this way because they have no costs other than the advertising and don't need any skills other than writing a decent ad.

I say wack 'em.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Google makes too much money from affiliates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK how much money are they making on this query?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=irvs+luggage

It seems to me they would make more money by having different ad's with real competing products. How many consumers are going to click on multiple irv's ppc ads? I'd venture to say - not many.

I recall when I first started doing ppc ad's the first merchant I did promotions for was coldwatercreek. LOL there were three pages of ppc ad's for coldwater creek from different affiliates and the serp listings on the left was dominated by them as well. I placed my ad as:

"What..... "
    "Not another"
    "ColdWaterCreek ad"

and paid a nickle to be on page 3 LOL.
    My click thru rate sucked but I did get a good laugh from it.

That was a long time ago but the abuse and overmarketing that was clearly there in that case still exists for many merchants today. I actually maintain my statements that this provides no value to consumers - yes to merchants but ONLY BECAUSE it does somewhat limits others competing with them to have their ads shown.

When google said they would not monitor or maintain a policy in regards to merchants policies on NON bidding of trademark terms it was a door opening for price pressures on bidding IMO more than anything else but the market is so saturated now and prices so high, I'm sure they see it as I do in cases like the Irv's luggage query that they start to lose income opportunities from having the same affiliate links shown repeatidly. IMO - affiliate links will be banned from them in the future as a result of this. Hey, anybody want some hot keywords that have been given to lord knows how many other affiliates for Irv's too. LOL

I also recall stating that the merchants would likely benefit more from a non PPC policy because it opened the door for web sites promotion and if those web sites had marketing for them they would benefit more. Consider the same link as above that showed 6 "niche" luggage affiliate sites all that had marketing for Irv's on it - the consumer would click on more of the PPC ads IMO and Irv's "or whoever" would gain more from the individual marketing provided for them on multiple sites - rather than seeing something the consumer would never click on and see. With PPC ad's above and below me overwriting cookies and the serps on the left overwriting cookies at will, I can tell you my desire to pay for PPC to try and promote "a merchant" from my site is NOTTA and I'd even go so far as to say anyone who is given past and current conditions - IS CRAZY. There are always exceptions and lets face it..... there is more than one crazy affiliate around here.

** Edited to add ** a blast from the past when all was well and accepted - just as it is today LOL but times - they are a changing!
    http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...805#1616005805

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread