Hi Todd,

I had received a mail from CJ saying that reporting between Nov 26 to Dec 2 has not been updated yet. CJ informed that things would be restored by Dec 6. Prior to Nov 26, I had about 6 sales in 19 days. But after Nov 26, not a single sale has been reported till date. And the traffic and clickthroughs have actually increased.

CJ informed that the reporting on certain affiliate accounts has been affected because of some programming error.

I haven't seen anything restored yet. Although CJ says that reporting now is normal, I am not too sure about it because our traffic has been on the increase without a sale, which looks very abnormal.

Todd, can you tell me when will the missing transactions be restored and can you make sure that reporting now is normal?

Kumar

ABW Ambassador
    Didn't you know? For every 20 sales you bring in, you get paid for 2 . . . after all . . . what IS recorded is ONLY what they WANT you to see. The CJ claim of "we only get paid when you get paid" or "we only make money if you make money" doesn't stand the litmus test. WHO actually controls the entries of sales and leads at CJ? The merchants and CJ. What you see in your account is what they want you to see.

We need a trusted FOURTH party.

Of course, Todd and his asskissers will likely climb all over this post as usual . . . but hey, Todd, where is your proof that we get paid for every sale made? All methods of being able to tell where a transaction originates from have either been removed from the CJ interface or the theiving bedfellows APPEAR to be on board. Therein lies the RUB.

I, and a good many others, have TOTALLY lost faith and trust, but most of us that remain here still believe that SOMETHING will change for the better. We keep plugging away at, even if it's only for the "plug nickel". We believe in the potential. Now, if we can somehow find a way to have the TRUST restored . . .

Brian
    aka Cyclone

I'm addicted to placebos.
    I'd quit but would it matter?

Todd, is it that bad? I am sure the affiliates who make the big bucks through CJ or elsewhere would be testing the veracity of the reports by buying something themselves once in a while through their own links, just to see if it is getting reported! It can always be reversed later by informing the merchant. So, if the sales transactions are not regularly reported, then it would have come to light long ago! Are there many others here who feel the same way about the accuracy of the reports?

I have been shooting mails to CJ through their support interface about the reporting problem, which I believe is still not functioning for some affiliate accounts. And they have advised me to test it by purchasing something myself through my own link and then later informing the merchant.

I am a bit confused whether to take this affiliate business seriously! Although I am new to this business, I had a rollicking start by recording about USD 520 in commissions in 3 weeks and since the CJ reporting problem started on Nov 26, not a single addition to it!!! Don't you think this is abnormal!

Kumar

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    So, if the sales transactions are not regularly reported, then it would have come to light long ago! Are there many others here who feel the same way about the accuracy of the reports?
    Yes you are very new and I'd suggest you spend the next year reading the back-threads throughout ABW . . . "IF" you have to ask all those questions . . . and IF you think I might be the ONLY one to feel this way . . . remember one thing . . . I am one of you, an affiliate marketer. I am not the ones behind the scenes, holding the curtain in front of your face, hiding, and even stealing our commissions. I also suggest you become fully aware of parasiteware, etcetera . . .

Brian
    aka Cyclone

I'm addicted to placebos.
    I'd quit but would it matter?

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    You will probably discover there can be swings of activity upwards or down and can fluctuate without a reason over time
    While there may be other issues at play, based on only 19 days and a 3 sale selection is hard to verify if any problems existt. Just not enough sales history to base anything on.
    No doubt more sales will show up, but I suspect hard to base any wrong doings based on a three week period. If you have more stats to offer up to CJ it may make questioning this period a bit more valid

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Another thing for you to consider might be the google update..... look for keywords you were previously strong on... are you still ranked well? Is traffic to your site stable or increasing?

- - - - - - - - -
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. --Albert Einstein

Hi elbowcreek, irrespective of the google dance, my traffic and clickthroughs have almost doubled in the last 15 days. So, I am bewildered at the zero conversion.

Kumar

Although I have often been quick to call foul with CJ reporting I do have to say that a comparison of 6 sales in 19 days is not a good judge of CJ reporting problems. If you were seeing over 100 sales in a 19 day period and no sales showed up, then I would agree there is a problem.

The fact that CJ has come forward and alert us of this problem is commendable (at least to me). I would advise you to check with AAQ and your top merchants to ask them to double check your stats. It may not be a "forth party", but it would be one more check.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

[This message was edited by 7-days on December 07, 2003 at 02:03 PM.]

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

One more thing which I feel is relevant here. All my six sales have been for the same merchant! And my clickthroughs to them have been doubled after Nov 26. Which means they were converting very well 12 days ago and then suddenly after Nov 26, they stop converting although clickthroughs have doubled!

Kumar

Wonder what is Todd's take on all this!! To all other affiliates, please keep your suggestions coming. Thanks again.

Kumar

Have you clicked through to see if the website has changed?

Sometimes I'll notice a merchant not converting, so I go through one of my links and I find the link going to something my customer isn't interested in, or worse yet, a 404 page.

That's happened to me twice this past month.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Wonder what is Todd's take on all this!!

Probably that it's Sunday and his workweek doesn't start until tomorrow!

quote:
    All my six sales have been for the same merchant!

Oh oh...

One merchant suddenly stopping tracking is a lot more suspicious than a whole bunch. A whole bunch stopping reporting (although "tracking is [usually] not affected") is usually some network glitch. Just one stopping when traffic is increasing could be a whole bunch of things, some of them bad.

But before you assume fraud, check if it's a batching merchant. Some merchants don't bother to upload their batches too often. Batchers also tend to have their transactions all get reported in a lump when they do send up the batch (making it look like they've had unbelievably stellar results because a week or so's worth of transactions will all be reported in one day).

If it's not a batcher (or they've sent up a batch with nothing for you in it), I'd advise using the ABW search and searching for their name (with and without spaces) and see if they've collected serious disses. Serious = allegations of outright fraud! Some merchants do mess with their tracking. Also look at the merchant's trend graph for "7-day EPC." If it has dropped suddenly (and they're not a batcher), something's probably rotten, IMO!

My last suggestion matches MissDonna's--make sure the merchant site is up, and if it's up, make sure your links are still aiming at the part of it that you thought they were!

Or it could be just a fluke or some glitch. (Sorry Cyclone but I had to say it! ) It does happen at times. Google doesn't always list a page where it ought to--is the traffic increase coming in on relevant terms?

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    I took away all my main merchants from cj.com and stepped over to inhouse programms. I was experiencing in the last months that my positions in Ses are very good, my traffic to cj.com increases 3 times but sales were not rising equally. My balance, and also cj.com earnings dropped. Now running inhouse programs I see how much I missed with cj.com

carneol

Kumar,

I do not look into account specific issues. If you feel that your account is not reporting txns, you should provide detailed information via AAQ and our customer service dept. will investigate your account. If you feel it may be specific to certain advertisers, make sure you mention this when you create an incident.

There are currently no backlogs in reporting and the past few days have all been record breakers for commissions earned and transactions tracked.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd, I was advised by CJ to do a test transaction through my own links to see if the sale is being recorded. The test transaction has been done in coordination with the merchant. It is neither reflecting in my account manager nor in the account manager of the merchant. The merchant has promised to take this issue with CJ right away. But the fact as of now is that no sale has been reported after Nov 26 to my account although clickthroughs have doubled.

After the test transaction, it is very much confirmed that my sales have not been tracked. It is really sad. I have just sent a mail to CJ through the support interface. BTW, what is AAQ?

Kumar

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    AAQ = Ask A Question

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    Who is the merchant?

Kumar,

Tell the merchant to make sure the tracking pixel code is still there (Maybe they updated some source code and forgot to include the tracking pixel..)

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <
    FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! <

ABW Ambassador
    I often noticed the same thing as Kumar, and all my inquiereies had the same tenor: everythign is ok from our end.

carneol

Can you say...PARASITES.

It is indeed very unfortunate. I want all of you affiliates to know that we have done two test purchases from my links in coordination with the merchant. I must say that the merchant has been very helpful to me trying to resolve the issue.

Now the two test transactions atleast have to be reflected in my account manager. Even the test transactions are not showing up in my Account Manager.

Although everyone here opines that 6 sales in 19 days are not enough to extrapolate lost sales, but I want you guys to know that all my six sales have been for the same product and same merchant. Right now, I am focussing on selling this one product only and all my traffic comes for this product. This traffic has actually doubled in the last 12 days but with zero sales. How come the conversion dropped to zero all of a sudden?

I also don't believe there is any foul play...it may be a technical glitch. Some of you have suggested parasites. I am a bit new and dont know how can parasites affect every sale transaction?? Are you suggesting parasite on the merchant server?

Also, CJ keeps telling me that everything is in order. That I am having a cold spell. Can anyone of you tell me whether a spell can be so cold that the two known test sale transactions which were caried out will also not be reflected in the Account Manager? Maybe the spell is not cold...it is the CJ system or the merchant website error or maybe my luck which is FROZEN!

Kumar

Pls keep suggestions coming for a remedial step!

quote:
    Are you suggesting parasite on the merchant server?

You might have the driveby download on your pc and it is overwriting your cookie when you did your test purchase and if your merchants are associated with parasites that might be the case that your test purchase is not showing to your account but it is showing to the parasite's account.

That is what parasite/s do overwrite your cookie when they are on the users computer.

There is alot of information on parasite forum that you might want to take a look at.

Hope this helps a little on the parasites questions.

And also Welcome to ABW Kumar

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

According to my understanding of parasites, they sit on the PC of the user / buyer and when the buyer makes a purchase, it overwrites the affiliate cookie with its own cookie. Secondly, the parasite writer must also be an affiliate of the merchant to benefit out of the overwriting. Am I right in my understanding?

Now, if the merchant deactivates the parasite account, then what happens when the parasite overwrites somebody's cookie with its own? The parasite guy may not get his commission since he is already deactivated but if the parasite has overwritten the cookie, then how will the genuine affiliate get his due? Will nobody get commission then?

Kumar

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread