I just got this email:

quote:
    First off, I would like to thank our affiliates for another successful month. As the holiday season if fast approaching it is time to ramp up your promotion efforts to take advantage of increased consumer spending. I also wanted to let you know of a new advanced link that we have now incorporated. This new link is a non invasive tool bar that is launched in your visitors browser. To see an example visit bigfitness.com and visit a few pages. You will notice the toolbar appear near your clock in the bottom right corner of your computer screen. The best thing about this tool bar is that it is achieving over a 50% click through rate (CTR). Yes, that's 50% as you know this is unheard of for any type of Internet advertising.

For those of you who want to incorporate this new cj.com link to advertise bigfitness.net just do the following.

Login to your cj.com account choose "Get links" from the top menu. Select search "links" and type 10301062 this will bring you to the html of the new link.

Thank you,

BiGFiTNESS

So they want us to throw in our own toolbar???

I don't really like the looks of this.

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

ABW Ambassador
    That is one cool toolbar. A little slow loading, and a shame it's got the IE window attached though.

pretty cool toolbar. though it doesn't look like it's defined as parasiteware.. is it clean? Looks okay.... here

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    Xtreme's partnership information

"No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow."

I'm totally against auto loading anything in to anyones computer. No matter how innocent it may be .. auto loads show site arrogance in not asking the viewers permission and automatically raises viewer suspicions.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Yes, I agree. Also if you start getting visitors use to seeing a toolbar then when they get a real nasty one they may think it's OK.

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I agree.

Since there is no secure process in Windows to stop ActiveX objects from do "whatever the hell they want" with a user's computer, promoting ANY type of toolbar just helps the nasty ones get accepted as well.

Toolbars? JUST SAY NO.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

I also agree, NO automatic toolbars! I sure wouldn't like it, its just plain rude!

Nothing less than 10% comm - 30 day cookie - unlimited occurences

ABW Ambassador
    It may have a high CTR, but I'd say the CR wouldn't be fantastic. Most people would be clicking it and going through the links in their attempts to close it down.

Still.. it is a cool little toy.

ABW Ambassador
    I must have my settings right, nothing loaded. But do people really promote this mess of a site? With a 1-800 number and a banner for off-site ads? Wowza.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    it's not activex etc. it's javascript.

Try this :: http://www.fitnessequipment.com/bfba...dsBeforeShow=3

Pete is exactly correct -- it's JavaScript -- and unfortunately, NOT the first one I've seen just this week. I have the fear that this is going to spread like wildfire unless we can find a good blocker/stopper to get rid of it.

Please do keep in mind that toolbars get a bad rap a lot of the time because of some of the things a FEW bad apples are doing with them.

The "REAL" toolbars we develop are absolutely free of any 'built-in' spyware, adware, scumware, parasiteware or whatever. They don't automatically install themselves, or suddenly start sending your credit card numbers back to home base.

HOWEVER, when people buy them, we can't FORCE them not to include those features if they really want them. The technology supports many POWERFUL features -- but we all know what power can do to some people... (Especially when combined with GREED...

When someone buys a toolbar from us for their site, I design the first version myself. I'll include links to PPC search engines or affiliate links (to generate revenue). My goal is to make the toolbar a useful, friendly addition to the person's site, their products and service offerings.

Naturally, people want to know which buttons and links on their toolbar are being used -- so they can add 'tracking links' if they want. This helps the webmaster 'optimize' the toolbar so that only the most important and useful links and buttons are shown.

Unfortunately, the same technology can be used for more evil purposes...

Where it gets ugly is if someone uses the same technology to have the toolbar report activities of the browser OUTSIDE their own site.

The question: Do we remove a feature that is good and useful because some creeps will misuse it?

What's the difference between a hunting rifle and a sniper's gun... One can be used to feed your family during the winter -- the other...

Here's a link to my eBook, "Creating Toolbars for Fun and Profit!" -- Custom Toolbar eBook Download Page -- What I'd like anyone on this list to do is read the book and see if there is anything 'evil' that is promoted there.

I invite your book report to the list!

Best regards,
    Marty R. Milette, P.Prog.
    CTT+, MCT, MCSE+I, MCP+SB, MCSD
    Custom Toolbars

quote:
    The question: Do we remove a feature that is good and useful because some creeps will misuse it?

The answer: Yes!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

quote:
    Originally posted by SSanf:
    quote:

The answer: Yes!

And you would apply that to everything SSanf?

Email, the internet, cars, prescription medicines ...

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if it's Active X or JavaScript. A site shouldn't force anything on an end user's computer. Period.

Active X can be really nasty, if security settings aren't set for high security. JavaScript can also slow a computer down, especially if it's an older one.

I don't normally mind special page effects that use JavaScript, because when you leave that site, nothing stays on your computer. But I think the toolbar thing is getting too much exposure, and it's too hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones.

I agree - when it comes to toolbars - JUST SAY NO!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Toolbars will be gone in about 2 years, Google knows this, thats why the released the Google deskbar recently.

I work in lounge pants

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The only toolbar not corrupted by the Ad Whores, info peddlers and spyware folks is the free AltaVista toolbar. Those developing toolbar BHO applications very well know their target market willing to pay the applications fee costs.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I'm actually thinking of switching to the Altavista toolbar. I think Google is starting to go downhill and with IPO will just speed it up. Plus Yahoo can put Altavista into the upcoming search mix once they drop Google. Interesting feature they have Site Search, trying to read if they keep track of sites you visit. Maybe having the toolbar and visiting your site will help pages get indexed, like the Google toolbar?

I work in lounge pants

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy:
    In my opinion, it doesn't matter if it's Active X or JavaScript. A site shouldn't force anything on an end user's computer. Period.

Active X can be really nasty, if security settings aren't set for high security. JavaScript can also slow a computer down, especially if it's an older one.

I don't normally mind special page effects that use JavaScript, because when you leave that site, nothing stays on your computer. But I think the toolbar thing is getting too much exposure, and it's too hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones.

I agree - when it comes to toolbars - JUST SAY NO!

Andy

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread