Does anyone else belong to the Hooked on Phonics affiliate program through CJ? Do you know what happens when someone clicks your affiliate link, visits the H.O.P. web site, and calls the toll-free phone number displayed on every web page to order? You get no commission. Nothing. Zilch, zip, nada.

What's even more interesting about this theft is that when the H.O.P. affiliate program was run through Quinstreet (it changed to CJ a couple months ago), affiliates were credited for every single phone order.

What's changed? It seems that now, the affiliate program manager of Hooked on Phonics, James Chang, feels that the phone reps are more deserving of a commission (if they actually get one) than the affiliates who are sending customers to the H.O.P. site in the first place.

Does this seem fair to you? Does it seem right that Commission Junction would allow a merchant to display a phone number on their site and completely cut off the referring affiliate from their well-deserved and rightful commission?

As affiliates, we need to band together and show merchants that this type of unethical behavior will not be tolerated. Even if you're not a Hooked on Phonics affiliate (but especially if you are) please let Hooked on Phonics and Commission Junction know how you feel.

You can contact James Chang (the H.O.P. affiliate manager) at james.chang@hop.com or call 714-429-2223 x-2465. You can reach Commission Junction at 800-761-1072.

I would also love to see your comments in this thread and welcome any ideas on how we can use our clout as affiliates to change unethical practices such as the one Hooked on Phonics is using.

I used to run them AGES ago and I dropped them because they gave EXTRA incentives for people who PHONED in their order ( this was through Quinstreet). You didn't see it though, unless you went to checkout, there were three prompts for customers to call in and get a bonus cd or something. Anyway, I have been running a different program for the last two years and convert well with them. Never had a sale at hooked.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Displaying a number is one thing - posting extra incentives to get people to call is another and I have seen it done before. No idea why CJ allows this as it is also lost money to them.
    No idea why the merchant that doesn't want web sales has an affiliate program in the first place. My guess is they want to get the customer on the phone so they can harass them into buying extra stuff.

Good to know! We'll definitely stay away from them.

You run such program unless they are paying per click-thru.

http://8n.nu

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All Dell programs do this for years to try and divert orders to their India call centers. Flat 3.00 commission expense rather then paying the % of sale to the affiliate. Ran these wanks at Quinstreet along with Univ of Phoenix without a sale for years.

All DMA/IAB members are gorrilla direct marketing Ad Whores hell bent on just gather personal information to exchange with their DMA partners using lead fees and other ploys to scrap the info from affiliate referral traffic. I love it when the actual consumers bring these wanks to their knees by outlawing spam and telemarketing.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming and please help me get the word out.

ABW Ambassador
    The major problem with these types of merchants, all merchants for that matter, is we, ourselves, have to physically go through their process and see what happens when we make a transaction. The only time I run a merchant with an 800 number is if there is nobody else that has their product or service. We take a chance with every merchant. Just ask the merchants via email what methods they use to compensate US for sales made through the 800 number. That will let you know right away what you're in for . . . you can always delete the merchant from your account . . .

Brian
    aka Cyclone

I'm addicted to placebos.
    I'd quit but would it matter?

What's disgusting is that they are capable of giving credit to affiliates through phone sales but choose not to do it. THAT, my friends, is unethical.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread