Thread: Great Skin datafeed question

Is it just me - when I go to http://www.greatskin.com/affiliates/datafeed.htm to get the datafeed I just get an html page with all the info on it - not a .csv or .txt file or anything like that.

http and a telephoto
    I get a page with form fields to select and a "Create Datafeed" button at the bottom.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Outsourced Program Manager Patrick - AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Bubbles

That's right. The page you are seeing is the tool used to create the feed. It was designed to allow easy creation of customizable feeds. For example, perhaps you only need an 'anti-aging' product feed, or a 'Bioelemnts' feed - well you can do all that and more. I know it looks complicated with all those fields to choose from, but it’s not really.

If you need the full feed (800 products), simply add your 11 digit tracking ID at the top, select your preferred format (pipe or tab) and click 'Create A Datafeed' - you ignore all other options. The output file can then be saved as a .txt file.

Can you see yourself ever using this to create a customizable feed...or would you prefer we publish a 'no fuss' full feed?

Has anyone else used it to create a niche feed?

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
    Patrick
    GreatSkin Partner Manager
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. MSN - goodfellowpat@hotmail.com ::: www.amwso.com Get our RSS News Feed here - feeds.feedburner.com/AMWSO
    My Affiliate Marketing Programs :
    EverSmoke.com - SouthBeachSmoke.com, My music production site.

I get the page with form fields to select and a "Create Datafeed" button at the bottom, but when I click on the button, it just takes me to an html page with the datafeed data just all written out on it. Nothing prompts for a download. I don't see a link that leads to a .txt or .csv file. I tried right clicking on the button to see it that helped, but it just tried to download the html page. I also tried in both firefox and ie5.5, in case I was having a browser problem. Maybe its just me, but I couldn't get the feed from it. I'll try again today though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can you see yourself ever using this to create a customizable feed...or would you prefer we publish a 'no fuss' full feed? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to download the full 800 product feed first, look through it, then maybe download smaller ones. Really just depends on what fields are available on the big feed - if its easy or not to break it down in smaller product categories or not. That's just me though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bubbles:
    I get the page with form fields to select and a "Create Datafeed" button at the bottom, but when I click on the button, it just takes me to an html page with the datafeed data just all written out on it. Nothing prompts for a download. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bubbles,

Go to the 'Edit' menu of the html page with all the data-feed data and do a 'save as' - you have the option to save as a .txt file

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
    Patrick
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. MSN - goodfellowpat@hotmail.com ::: www.amwso.com Get our RSS News Feed here - feeds.feedburner.com/AMWSO

Ok, I tried saving it that way, but neither excel or openoffice will recognize the delimiters correctly, as either tabs or pipes.

Loxly, can you tell me step by step how you saved and opened yours?

http and a telephoto
    Sorry bubbles, I haven't actually worked with it yet. I just went to the page when you said you were having problems, trying to be helpful

I have a bit too much going on right now to work on Linkshare feeds, (sorry Chris and co. I know you have good programs!) they are just too much and I have loads and loads of CJ and Shareasale feeds that are really *easy* to work with.

I hope to tackel Linkshare, starting with WSO's programs, in a few weeks, when we have finally moved in!

(psst bubbles... have you looked at cool butterflies lately? I need to come back for another visit!)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi Bubbles,

I’m sorry you’re having such troubles – try the steps below – and if doesn’t work this time for you I’ll send the feed to you

Step 1 – Add Your 11 Character Linkshare ID
    Step 2 – Delimiter – Choose ‘Tab’
    Step 3 – Choose Line Breaks (HTML Friendly probably best)
    Step 4 – Click ‘Create Feed’

Step 5 – File&gt;Save As&gt; Select ‘Save as type’ Text File [*.txt]
    Step 6 - Go to newly created file &gt; Right Click File &gt; Open With ‘Excel ‘

The feed should now open up correctly in Excel with all fields correctly delimited.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Thanks for your patience! I eventually got it. Only bad thing is, I'm not sure exactly what I did! I had to do a little more manipulation with file extensions, etc. to be able to get it right. Hopefully I'll be able to figure how to do it again the next time I need to update it!

Hi Bubbles,

Did you manage to replicate your results.

I hope so

Patrick - I haven't had a chance to try again yet. Chances are I won't have to time really work with that feed now until later this week.

Loxly - All the feeds I've used from merchants that are with Linkshare aren't actually LS feeds, they're external feeds the merchants offer. As much as I don't like pipe delimited files, I have to admit though, that it is easier using feeds that all have the same structure like SAS's. I didn't get over to the Butterfly House this past week. Next week is the fall festival there, so I will be going this Sat.

12. Newsletter Signup