Thread: Free Data Cleaner Tool - For All/Any Merchant Feeds

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All

Over the past couple of weeks we have been working on a tool that will make it easier for affiliate partners to work with merchant data. We're aiming to resolve a range of issues and the first one we have focused on is "Getting the data clean"

Merchant data can contain a wide range of special characters, HTML, truncated HTML, hard returns and other symbols that can make it a real pain to work with, causing pages to break and databases to have minor freak outs.

So we have created a Small "Data Cleaner" Application that we hope will help everyone with this problem.

This first version allows you to

1. Import the data
    2. Select the fields to be cleaned
    3. Select the type of clean
    4. Select filters
    5. Create an export
    6. Save the export

It's free, and it's in final Beta. If you would like a copy please PM, mail or message me and I'll fire it over, the present version is a single EXE file Zipped to 700k (down a tad from the first 23 MB version )

We hope this tool will be useful, it can be used for ANY Merchant data, not just AMWSO. This is a beta, the final version we will allow open (free , you may not sell it) distribution.

Future versions of this tool will add a range of extra options, such as merging data sources and grabbing direct from FTP locations..but that's a little further down the road

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Hi Everyone

Thank you very much to everyone who ran the Beta for us and sent back feedback (mainly feature requests rather than bugs we were pleased to see )

The final 1.0 release is now available, for FREE, from our site as follows :

http://www.amwso.com/affiliate_tools.php

Feedback and suggestions are appreciated

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Version 1.5 Beta is now available for download, testing and feedback. version 1.5 adds the following functions :

Ability to import CSV and TEXT files.
    Ability to define custom rules for find/delete or find/replace
    Ability to edit the generated results directly within application.
    Ability to select the columns to export as well as specify the format of exported data

Please click below and scroll to the foot of the page to download the 1.5 beta

http://www.amwso.com/affiliate_tools.php

Feedback appreciated as always

Cheers

Chris

We're looking to build in support for XML, does anyone have any examples of merchants using XML feeds WITH a DTD

Thanks

Chris

XML Feed Cleaner
    Hi Everyone

The XML addition is done, will be put out to a few people to test before we merge it into the live version.

If you'd like to give it go please PM or email me

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

I'm copying this thread to the Affiliate Power Tools section.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks Haiko

Hi Everyone

Yesterdays version needed a DTD, today's no longer requires one. As long as each record in the XML file is identified by the same Node (Tag) then the data cleaner software will be able to import the XML.

Cheers

Chris

Anyone know the limit of the feed size? I"m trying this out, but I've gotten the loading data message now for over 10 minutes. Perhaps my feed is just too big?
    Thanks

Hi Spencer

We hav tried it up to 5,000 products with no problem, how big is the data you are importing? Feel free to send me the location so I can grab it and test it

Cheers

Chris

I grabbed your latest beta, and tried importing a shareasale-generated csv which is 10 columns wide.

It successfully opened it if I specified fewer than 10 columns (8 or 9), but not when I specified 10.

Thanks FFoc can you shoot me over that feed via email or PM so I can see what's up and see if is specific to that feed or the software.

Is this the 1.5 or 1.6 Beta?

Cheers

Chris

1.5 - the open beta. I don't have my copy of the csv feed on this computer, I have it on one which is currently not capable of going online, so I'll have to get it to you tomorrow or so.

Man, do you all get a discount for being all of the way at the bottom? I got winded just scrolling down.

Should I actually answer this? Ok, I will ... go to www.abestweb.com, our front page ... do you still hurt from scrolling? Didn't Think so!

I will repeat - be productive!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Hi Chris,
    I was working on some sections of the art.com feed. Needless to say over 40K products. It ended up importing successfully, but still showed the importing data screen. Ran out of time before I got to test the cleaning, but will try this weekend. Will let you know if I run into any problems.
    Thanks
    Spencer

Hi All

FFOC thanks, no worries any time you have chance

Spencer : wow that's pretty good then, I Imagine the speed will be a combination of file size and PC power. th clean could take while I expect, I'll se about that "still importing" splash being removed

QBall :Better than being in the middle Always gotta be top or bottom

Cheers

Chris

User Feature request
    We had the following come in from a CJ aff, anyone got any extra thoughts on it before I commit it to the dev cycle

Ability to split data within the application.

1. Define the column to be split
    2. Define the field separator within that column
    3. Define new field names for each new column

Naturally it won't work if there is no consistent character that can be used as a field separator.

Example
    Field has
    CAT 1 > SUB 1 > SUB 2
    CAT 1 > SUB 1 > SUB 2

The user would define ">" as the separator in that field and end up with three new columns.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Should I actually answer this? Ok, I will ... go to www.abestweb.com, our front page ... do you still hurt from scrolling? Didn't Think so!

I will repeat - be productive!
    Did I hurt your feelings Haiko, it was just a joke for Chris.

Nah, just bumped moving the opm forum up my to do list.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Did I hurt your feelings Haiko, it was just a joke for Chris.
    Seriously don't move it on my account,here at the foot is better than being lost in the middle , easy to find , scroll to bottom and here we all are

But okay if you want to move all the OPM stuff to right at the top I;m sure none of us will complain

Haiko , while you're down here, please don't miss my couple of PMs

Cheers

Chris

Yipee, got version 2.0 on my desk, just need to give it a test before I send it out to everyone else to Beta...rather blow up my PC first than take everyone with me .

Should have it done by the end of the week.

Cheers

Chris

23. Newsletter Signup