Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All,

I have been discussing my CJ non reporting woes in one of my earlier threads. I think a lot of affiliates are not getting credit for their sales which I have explained below.

I have a rugs selling website. Late October, I made this website as an affiliate marketing site. I chose Rugman as my merchant. I am glad that I chose Rugman because of their quality products and good affiliate support. I must thank Catherine for all support she has given me. As soon as I became Rugman affiliate, money started flowing in. I made about 6 sales in 19 days. And then lo! It all stopped from Nov 26. I got a mail from CJ that there was some programming error and sales are not being reported. Later, CJ claimed that the problem has been solved and since Dec 2, reporting has been normal. They also said they have restored all transactions between Nov 26 to Dec 02.

Unfortunately this is far from true. I noticed my clickthroughs had doubled but still sale not being reported. I contacted Rugman and told them of the problem. Catherine made a test purchase on Dec 05 through my links and gave me the order details. This transaction was not reported either in my Account Manager nor in Rugman Account manager. She did a test purchase again on Dec 08. Again it didnt report. We took this issue with CJ.

The answer I got was ridiculous. They said I am having a cold spell. Tell me then how it didnt report the test purchases? They asked Catherine for details of the links through which the test was done. After visiting our site, they said they found nothing which is wrong with the links! Although, CJ said that in some places we had altered the text matter of the link. Shouldn't matter in tracking sales, I believe.

Catherine also tested the links of some other affiliates of Rugman to see if the reporting was correct. To her dismay, she found four other affiliate accounts which were tested also NOT REPORTING the sales in the account manager!

OK, this CJ error has affected many affiliate sales. How many of you know that? Maybe, it has affected only some affiliate accounts. Rugman itself has tested 5 affiliate accounts not reporting. Are you guys sure, all your sales are being tracked?? How many of you feel that things have gone awry after Nov 26?

If we contact CJ, they say that everything is in order (inspite of my failed test transaction). Todd, can you find out on behalf of we affiliates what is happening? Or do you suggest that I should write another mail (nth time) through AAQ? So much for customer service!!!

Kumar

What I don't understand is the accounting practices of the networks. At the end of the month they should send out an invoice to the merchants as follows. The monthly fees they charge plus the commissions collected "IN-TRUST" for the affilates. This should include the names of the affiate sites owed money. Or are the merchants just getting a cart-blank invoice of what they owe the network? Maybe someone can enlighten us on this.

Where Do You Want To Be Tomorrow?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Merchants have to put the money up-front for the month, or put more in as the month goes.
    This is so the affiliates are guaranteed your commission for a solid sale that sticks. We see who makes what in real-time (at least that's how we see it).
    As soon as a sale is made the commission amount is taken out of our escrow account and put aside for that affiliate.

Catherine G

ABW Ambassador
    There was another thread with similar reporting problem. Here it is:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=5796006215

I had a known sale missing. This was not tracked by CJ. AM manually added the sale after I sent the information. That was the only one I known of. May be we are missing more. Who knows? Something happened on the ThanksGiving day both at CJ & Linkshare. Both say it is now fixed. But it does not look like so.

quote:
    Are you guys sure, all your sales are being tracked??

Are you kidding? People have been saying for years that CJ doesn't track all the sales.

Just read back on ABW if you don't beleive me.

Haiko was saying that on the old CJU forum.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

What SSanf said =

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    this Mrs. Merchant makes sure we do not have, or accept, any parasite sites into our program. We're against them as much as you are.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I know I had an issue with an apparel company whose report was more than CJ showed
    He dug into it and got it corrected. Cj for some reason couldn't verify it was mine yet the merchant could?

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

[This message was edited by walleye warrior on December 09, 2003 at 05:19 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    In the cases where CJ supposedly doesn't track sales, does the merchant see the referring affiliate id or is it lost in transit? It wouldn't be too hard for a merchant to create a function to make a log of sales available to the affiliate. This could provide a badly needed check to verify the accuracy of the the networks' reports.

Wayne

~The local burglar's 'exclusion list' does little to fight crime~

This could explain why my rugman.com sales disappeared for several days.

CDC

so then it is possible for an affiliate to be kicked out of the CJ network for no sales, but also possible a sale or two disappeared?

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    o then it is possible for an affiliate to be kicked out of the CJ network for no sales, but also possible a sale or two disappeared?

Or dozens disappeared? Who knows? We are at the mercy of the networks erratic reporting until we have a way of verifying their accuracy. We need merchants to work with us in developing a parallel tracking system. I've lost confidence in the networks.

Wayne

That's an excellent idea, a parallel record from the merchants would definitely keep everyone honest.. oh wait, that's why no one will implement it

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    NorthernStudio, vertygo and all,

I would be happy to help! I want you all to get EVERY single dollar you earn. If anyone has questions about any of the CJ programs I work with, I will do anything I can to help track, confirm, debate what's due you or whatever it takes!

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! Click Here!

Linda, that is excellent! I suggest that you do some kind of a report to each affiliate of the sales you recorded for them each month so they can check it themselves against the network reports. If you do this, my thinking is that other merchants, to stay competitive, will soon be following your lead.

This will help keep everyone honest and set a new standard of accountability. Yes, I know some merchants may check their list against the network in the hopes of shaving some sales. But, most won't and pity the one who gets caught.

Go get 'em girl. You set the standard and let the others catch up with you!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

FYI - the major goof up is in how this particular advertiser has integrated our tracking. We are working with them to correct their problems.

I have said this a few times before but will say it again for good measure. CJ doesn't get a txn fee if we do not track a commission. There is no way around this. If it doesn't show up in the system (reporting for advertisers and publishers), we do not get a txn fee. It is in our interest to track every sales/lead so we too get our fees.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

{the major goof up is in how this particular advertiser has integrated our tracking}

But Todd this has happened before and how many other merchants haven't integrated the tracking correctly?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    CJ doesn't get a txn fee if we do not track a commission.

All the more reason why merchants, networks & affiliates need to work together to develop a parallel tracking system. It would go a long way to increase solutions & lessen suspicions. Link mistakes as you note will be apparent, bad sale spells can be determined to be just that and we can all have a lot more confidence in each other.

Wayne

[This message was edited by NorthernStudio on December 10, 2003 at 01:21 PM.]

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    FYI - the major goof up is in how this particular advertiser has integrated our tracking.

This particular advertiser has been live on CJ for over 18 months, with the same tracking in place for most of that time... and yet suddenly - shortly after CJ had a series of technical issues - we didn't integrate it properly??? How Odd...

quote:
    We are working with them to correct their problems.

Your definition of "working together" and ours is obviously different. Our definition would be to find out what's causing this and fix it. Your definition is "blame it on the merchant."

Nice. Very nice.

As you can probably tell, we are not very happy with CJ right now, and this kind of comment alarms us even further.

We are working very hard to solve this issue and would appreciate CJ's support in the matter, not CJ's attempt to "lay the blame somewhere else."

Paul

Rugman.com - Merchant Through CJ

Direct Link

I am not shifting blame, I am correcting the title of this post. Kumar made it seem like there was a problem with the network and that CJ was not tracking txns correctly.

It is my understanding that if payments are made by check, they aren't being tracked on your site. Test txns showed this to be the case. CJ is tracking all other txns from your site, so the problem is on your side.

I am not trying to make you look bad, I am trying to reassure others that the problem is isolated to one advertiser.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    I am not trying to make you look bad, I am trying to reassure others that the problem is isolated to one advertiser.

Which is appreciated here.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <
    FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! <

As an update, it was not a problem with the payment method as previously thought. Instead, it was an issue affecting a few links and their destination URLs that prevented them from tracking correctly. We have contacted the advertiser resolved the issues. Tests show that everything is now tracking correctly.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Which is appreciated here.

I agree.
    I respect Todd tremendously for putting up with the verbal thrashing he often receives when he steps in here.

What is not appreciated is when an error in tracking is discovered, and the merchant believes it is a CJ issue and vise versa, the resulting stalemate can last for days.

I’ve seen this happen with two of my best converting merchants and when it was finally straightened out nothing every came of the missing transactions.

I know that people at rugman are working hard on getting this fixed. I don't know what is happening at CJ.

I know it is two weeks before X-mas and the timing couldn't be worse!

CDC

Well, at least it's friday!! which means.....nothing

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast