What's the use of the code of conduct, if a publisher could simple add an IFRAME to its page to load the tracking URL before the visitor even see what's on that page?!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The code of conduct sure needs to be expanded to address the Tricks for Clicks crowd of cookie setting affiliates. Originally the emphasis was on muzzling the BHO's over writing affiliate cookies, hijacking traffic from affiliates pages and swapping ID#.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

are you talking about loading the iframe with the merchants site opened up through the link thereby generating a click.

OR an iframe containing the 1 X 1 pixel img src="blah" tracking code.

The second example I think is fine, the top one sounds shady. I am not sure how anyone is hurt by either though.

Just Lurking
    I thought COC was worthless anyway?

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Unless you are talking about people loading a ton of different sites tracking unrelated to the content. I can see how that is cheating too.

Just Lurking
    If it doesn't work for BHO's why try to apply it to anything else? They need to get it to work for BHO's first! That and I bet your average publisher wouldn't be given 60 days to clean up their act! They be out! No 60 day extension either!

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Redfish, I have an option available to me to ensure selected affiliates cannot overwrite other affiliate cookies if our cookie is already present in the user's system. But, the iframe method still allows them to write a cookie if the user's system does not have our cookie on it.

Bob: Iframe can allow a cookie to be set without launching a merchants site. To see how this can hurt you (the affiliate), take a look at this scenario:

If a massive site with lots of traffic like amazon decided to be an affiliate in one of the programs you promote, they can use Iframe to set a cookie to this affiliate program anytime a user lands on their website. Meaning, if you sent a user to affiliate program X and the user later visited amazon.com (which many users do), then amazon could potentially overwrite your cookie using the iframe method. Not sure if this makes complete sense at the moment, late for my company's Christmas party. PM me if you need clarification.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

My understanding was that third-party cookies are disabled by default on IE6. Since the overwhelming majority of people use IE6, using a FRAME or IFRAME (or even as an IMG SRC) won't set a permanent cookie.

On networks like CJ, people who use these methods would have considerably lower EPC's (since they're generating a ton of clicks that aren't really clicks). That's not something most affiliate managers at CJ would put up with for long.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    CJ support clarified for me that their cookies can be set from a frame.

Fer

The only time when merchant works on it is when it hurt the merchant badly.

MERCHANTS!

Do you know if you allow them to set the cookie with iframe or pop-up for everything visiors they have, you will be doomed for
    1. very low EPC in CJ
    2. heavy server load

3. and do anyone notice that the tracking server and now very slow in redirecting to the merchant site?

quote:
    Originally posted by Fer:
    CJ support clarified for me that their cookies can be set from a frame.
    You may want to test it yourself. This hasn't been my experience.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread