ABW Ambassador
    Will stop in-store pop-ups redirecting to same store and overwritting your cookie, and cases in which a coupon site is searched only after the user entered the store referred by another affiliate and was buying until he saw the coupon code field and went to google to find a code in a coupon site that launchs the affiliate link to give the coupon code, overwritting the real purchase generator affiliate cookie....

Just add this to CJ cookie system..

Affiliate Cookies can not overwrite other affiliate cookies within less than 1 hour from the first cookie datetime.

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    I would be 100% against that.

Shoppers often bounce around while looking for a product, if my words are more persuasive than someone else's, why should I be penalized because they clicked thru on the other link first?

Last in gets the sale.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Or get competitive and add the coupon to your site so they don't have to go to another site to get it. If you have a merchant on your site that has coupons for affiliate use and you don't post them, i will be feeding off your site.

Also i don't have any problems with other affiliates overwriting my cookies, (unless they're parasitic) because i feel if i gave them what they wanted when they got to my site, they wouldn't look elsewhere and hopefully i've learned/learning to target well enough to get the sale on the first visit.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on December 13, 2003 at 06:51 PM.]

Just Lurking
    quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Or get competitive and add the coupon to your site so they don't have to go to another site to get it. If you have a merchant on your site that has coupons for affiliate use and you don't post them, i will be feeding off your site.
    I'm against Fer's idea too but I hate those keyboard coupon codes. Not because I won't use or don't use them but because they are unnecessary. The coupon code could be set by a link. They screw up the check out process.

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I see a major problem with this proposition.

That will also make it so that, if a searcher hits an dodgy site, gets a trick-for-click cookie, and THEN goes to your site and gets convinced by *your* relevant sales pitch...

You'd be screwed because the trickster's cookie would still be in the 1-hour "invincible cookie" period!

IMO, true link-clicked-last is the only fair way.

Even a 1-hour safe period changes things so that ALL it would take to set a cookie by tricks AND KEEP IT ACTIVE would be to snag the top 1 or 2 positions in Google et al. Since SE spamming is also something stealth cookie-setters seem to be good at, I think that those cookies should definitely remain open!

That way, if a highly-ranked spammer doesn't actually *convince* his viewers to buy, the next site down has a chance to legitimately set a cookie (overriding the trickster's) and get the commission it deserves.

Even legit sites shouldn't be able to have such a lock on the cookie, in my opinion. If they can't make the sale, the commission should go to the one who can. Even if the one who can, does it 2 minutes after the searcher left the first site! The chances of any searcher waiting an hour before checking out the next site, in any circumstances, is so remote that the "1-hour" proposition is effectively a proposition to change to a "link-clicked-first" system where everybody who's not #1 in the listings is S.O.L.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    What if they just set a second cookie when they get to the checkout? One that takes precedent over the coupon site's cookie (the coupon site links to the non-checkout page).

This would also help in cases where the visitor gets sidetracked during the checkout process and returns later to finish paying (the product is already in the cart).

That would help the merchants and the legitimate affiliates. Too bad for the clicks for tricks scum. 90%+ of those trickster coupon sites' clicks do not even result in a real coupon.

(I am not talking about the ethical coupon sites, just the scummy ones)

ABW Ambassador
    You have quoted examples where my proposition would benefith the bad guy, but I am pretty sure that most cases this method benefith the real purchase generator.

I do not use coupon in many cases, because there are no coupons, but lots of coupon sites still have that no-coupon page that anyway open the link and set the cookie.

I mean, this is not perfect, always a you will find examples against, but I don't think of them as the most usual cases.

Also, I have a personal interest on this issue and I am thinking on my side advantages, the same thing if you have a coupon site you will think arguments against...

This is just an idea and I don't have any expectations on CJ implementing it. It will not happen...

Fer

Just Lurking
    ***** to the merchant about coupons, they don't return my email. Maybe you'll have better luck. But if you don't use coupons it's your fault not the couponers.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

quote:
    Originally posted by Fer:
    I do not use coupon in many cases, because there are no coupons, but lots of coupon sites still have that no-coupon page that anyway open the link and set the cookie.
    Fer

ME TOO! They post coupons for merchants that do not offer any coupons! They even load the cookie once the visitor load the page with iframe/pop up.

Just Lurking
    Couponers and 'tricks for clicks' are two seperate thing. Coupons sites are not doing anything wrong by putting up a page for a site without coupons and telling the customer there's NO COUPONS. (You should of told the customer that!) The customer wouldn't be running around looking for coupons if the merchant didn't put that stupid a$$ coupon code box in their checkouts.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Couponers and 'tricks for clicks' are two seperate thing. Coupons sites are not doing anything wrong by putting up a page for a site without coupons and telling the customer there's NO COUPONS. (You should of told the customer that!) The customer wouldn't be running around looking for coupons if the merchant didn't put that stupid a$$ coupon code box in their checkouts.

If it is not 'tricks for clicks' then what is it when a coupon site targets the phrase 'merchant coupon' in search engines, then when there is no coupon they trick to visitor into clicking because they thinktere is a coupon.

Like I said, I am not talking about ethical coupon sites. I am not against coupon sites that admit there are no coupons.

Unethical coupon sites whose main purpose is to scavenge cookies add no value to the merchant.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Simple solution for all affiliate enabled merchants who do not have coupons and will never have coupons. Run some trademark searches on Google and pull the plug on any affiliates deceiving your customers into thinking your site has coupons. Doing so breaks the law as there are laws on the books regarding deceptive advertising.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Mike, the problem is that most merchants are anything but experts in affiliate marketing, we have many problems because of their ignorance...

Fer

Just Lurking
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    If it is not 'tricks for clicks' then what is it when a coupon site targets the phrase 'merchant coupon' in search engines, then when there is no coupon they trick to visitor into clicking because they thinktere is a coupon.
    What keywords would you like a coupon site to target?

"What keywords would you like a coupon site to target? "

We'd prefer Google modifies their Coupon Yellow page directory listings to add in the following in front of the keyword "coupon"....ALERT: All trailer-park moma's seeking (insert Trademark here) coupons...click here to hunt for them! Bonus 5000 Gold coins if you find a valid one!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    What keywords would you like a coupon site to target?

Cute. How about they target traffic relating to merchants for which they actually have a coupon?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Run some trademark searches on Google and pull the plug on any affiliates deceiving your customers into thinking your site has coupons.

Some here are claiming that it is the merchants fault for the unethical coupon sites existence.

You can't expect the AMs to police the situation.

So I guess they are suggesting that legitimate affiliates check the search engines themselves and turn in lists of deceptive coupon websites.

"Cute. How about they target traffic relating to merchants for which they actually have a coupon?"......

Mike & Charlie ...

Just Lurking
    quote:
    Cute.
    Thanks! I bet your a cutey too.

I'm having a hard time finding your distinction between ethical and unethical coupon sites though.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's right next to your distinction between multiple sites being owned by one person or many.

Or to put it simpler: If the speaker does it, it's good. If his/her competition is doing it instead, it's bad!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread