I haven't posted any eBay links since they went to their nickle system, but I do like having them on my site because visitors seem to click a lot. Is anybody using them extensively, making any money, and if so, how? Do you use those flexible link thingies?

Tom

Online shopping at its best:
    All-Internet Shopping Directory

ebay is great when you want to promote a product that no merchant seems to carry.
    I don't use the flexible destination thing but use the editor kit extensively.

http://pages.ebay.com/api/editorkit.html

Earns me into the 4 figures a month.

To avoid the nickels clogging up my CJ reports, I use ebay through befree.

looks interesting. I missed the link when it was showing on the CJ site -- how do I get it (how do I log in at eBay for the kit) when eBay doesn't recognize my CJ login?

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

I log in to the editor kit with my ebay log in.

thanks; I'll have to try that and see how the ID shows.

by the way, I notice in CJ the pilot program for eBay stores signup is showing in available merchants, in case anyone missed it.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Once logged into the editor kit, it will ask you for your Cj pid.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The editor kit is also useful when you want to throw up a few fun pages for your visitors. For example, you can put up a page for 'Most Expensive Items At eBay' and you can list only auctions over $100,000 in price. Or pick out the weird categories, or odd phrases, and put up some pages on those. Easy, easy way to add 5-10 pages of fairly unique or fun results.

- - - - - - - - -
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. --Albert Einstein

I have good results with ebay and mostly use the flexible destination tool. I feel ebay is a great affiliate program and very fair to affiliates IMO.

Larry Wentz

AffiliateNetwork.org newWebsite.com (Host 200 Domains - $29/Month)

Hmmm...thanks for the replies! I'll have to rethink eBay and look into the Editor's Kit - whatever that is.

Wonder if BeFree and CJ will combine their eBay programs now that they're both owned by ValueClick?

Tom

Online shopping at its best:
    All-Internet Shopping Directory

As a sort of aside - ebay.com through CJ only take US based affiliates, whereas ebay through BeFree take non US - I'm in the UK.

I got a Christmas Card Saturday from the ebay affiliate program people. In it it talked about the money some top affiliates are making. I've been using ebay links and such for over a year and that card only made me depressed. I certainly not seen much from ebay and when you do you have to expect that half of it will be reversed. Quite frankly I dropped all the links to my pages a couple of months ago as I felt it was taking visitors away from my much better paying affiliate links.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    The editor kit is also useful when you want to throw up a few fun pages for your visitors. For example, you can put up a page for 'Most Expensive Items At eBay' and you can list only auctions over $100,000 in price. Or pick out the weird categories, or odd phrases, and put up some pages on those. Easy, easy way to add 5-10 pages of fairly unique or fun results.
    That's sounds really interesting. I think I'll try that, except for one thing . . . how will I handle the pain when I see something sell for $100K ?

Brian
    aka Cyclone

I'm addicted to placebos.
    I'd quit but would it matter?

The eBay editor kit works really well when you can tie a product available on eBay to your site. However, the one warning I have is that if you have a lot of visitors from countries that have their own dedicated eBay version (Canada, UK, etc.) don't expect to get paid for those visitors' registrations.

As far as I can tell, when someone from one of these countries clicks from your site to register, they get spirited to the eBay site pertaining to their country (eBay.ca, eBay.co.uk, etc.), where they wind up registering. However, even if you're a member of all of the eBay.com, eBay.co.uk and eBay.ca affiliate programs, you will not get credit for the referred visitor on any program because the transaction gets split between the two sites.

For example, your cookie is for eBay.com, but the registration takes place on eBay.ca, so no commission is paid anywhere.

This is a big black hole as far as commissions are concerned, and I even characterize it as program fraud, because no mention of this "technical deficiency" is ever given in the program rules of any of those programs.

I think the redirect would only happen any time someone registers from from a country for which a specific eBay exists. I think there are eBay's in Germany & Australia in addition to Canada and UK. I did receive a registration from a Finnish IP, so it doesn't seem to happen if there is no corresponding eBay program for the visitor's country.

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread