ABW Ambassador
    .. did all their transactions (with customers, not affiliates) through Pay Pal and Paymate.

Or does their method of accepting customer payments not matter to you?

Just curious.

I couldn't care less how they accept payment from their customers as long as they convert and pay me.

I'd be curious to try such a program just to see if I could hone in successfully on the customer niche that specifically opts for those forms of payment. Taking on that challenge might teach me something useful. And yes, of course, so long as they prove to convert and pay the affiliate.

Why would you want to restrict payment to Pay Pal? (and Paymate - that's Aus only?)

An affiliate program like that isn't worth my time. The lease they could do is come up with 50 bucks and get an account with 2checkout.com

No.

I personally know two people who had their paypal accounts hacked and were robbed. Not to get off on a complete tanget but the only thing that protects your paypal account is your password. Paypal has hundreds of employees who have easy access to your password. If someone decides to use your account to paypal themselves money, say an advance on your credit card, your credit card company will NOT REVERSE THE CHARGE. Why? Because in the paypal agreement you have authorized them (Paypal) to make third party payments on your account. My sister, one who was robbed, had to close her business checking and lost a whopping $1000 that was advanced on her credit card.

For more info about this, do a google search on
    paypal and fraud

and skip over the paypal urls and read the other sites. You will find out lots of information so you can make an informed decision about if this is a service you want to use.

If you have a paypal account, and want to keep it, UNTIE your credit card and checking accounts to it if you can. Better to be safe than sorry.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    (and Paymate - that's Aus only?)

It's not Aus only - they accept credit card payments, it's just another merchant gateway and unlike pay pal, u don't have to join to pay.

quote:
    An affiliate program like that isn't worth my time. The lease they could do is come up with 50 bucks and get an account with 2checkout.com

When it's an Australian website, working with USA merchant gateway systems isn't always easy. In fact, I took a look at this site you suggested and they do not work well with people outside the USA at all - The charges for "withdrawals" are $36 +. Pay Pal charges $1.

quote:
    I personally know two people who had their paypal accounts hacked and were robbed.

I'm afraid I'd believe that to be more like they were scammed - besides, a protected machine does not get hacked.

As for Pay Pal employees just taking someones money - I don't believe it for a minute. That's like saying anyone at your bank could just transfer all your money to their account... I mean... come on here... No WAY they can do that and get away with it.

I already use Pay Pal with no problems and as a starter business online, they allowed me to take payments from the USA and UK with ease, for that I am grateful.

Thanks for your opinions anyway, something to think about.

[This message was edited by SamyT on August 23, 2003 at 05:54 AM.]

quote:
    Originally posted by Heyder:

1. i guess you havent read 2checkouts payment policies? they aer very restrictive, thats why i wont use them

2. i use paypal. why? well, because many people DONT have a credit card. because they accept checks and all major credit cards. also, because it is cheap, enabling me to pay my affiliates more. i can turn right around and refuel my affiliate merchant account with paypal.

if affiliates are not doing business with mrchants who use paypal (the internets #1 online payment processor) isnt that kind of dumb? im not sure what the logic is behind it?? am i better merchant if i pay $50 to 2checkout ????? sorry, i dont see the logic there at all!

----------------------

Suppliers with United States or Canadian Bank accounts will have payments electronically deposited directly to any bank account at no cost.

Suppliers without a US Bank account can have their payments air mailed at no charge or have the option of an international wire payment. Fees for an international wire start at $36 and go down $3 for every hundred dollars in net sales. (Breakdown of International Wire Fees)

Each accounting period is 15 days in length. A new period begins the 1st and 16th day of each month.

All transactions that occur within this period will be processed and payments will be dispersed as follows:

Payment for orders shipped between the 1st and the 15th of the month will be dispersed on or about the 16th of that month.
    Payment for orders shipped between the 16th and the end of the month will be dispersed on or about the 1st of the following month.

If your sales are over $1,000 a week, weekly disbursements are possible. Weekly disbursements are reviewed on a case by case basis.

Example of criteria that may influence your approval for weekly payments:

Transactions on your account occurring for 8 weeks with little or no buyer complaints, or charge back problems,
    Your sales greatly exceed $1,000 a week,
    You can provide sales contracts or other documentation proving the legitimacy of your orders,
    You can provide suitable business references or other documentation establishing a concrete business history.

Suppliers selling tangible goods should not expect payment until 2CheckOut can confirm receipt of goods shipped and received as per the terms advertised on the supplier's website or auction. Delaying shipment until you receive funds is not considered an acceptable business practice.

Suppliers selling intangible goods such as service related products (e-downloads, hosting, etc.) should not expect payment until 2CheckOut can confirm that your services have been rendered.

Suppliers who establish a new account within five (5) days of a payment cycle release date will not receive a disbursement of funds until the next payment period ends (approximately two (2) weeks).

All Payments are subject to Reserve Funds stipulated below.

2CheckOut holds a reserve for chargebacks, refunds, and ACH returned items in event the supplier goes out of business, becomes unreachable or simply stops processing sales through 2CheckOut.

For all new accounts the reserve begins at 5% of the total amount charged and not refunded within the payment period. The reserve amount is held for 90 days and then released.

Reserve Example ( 5% Reserve Level, 90 day hold ):

June 1st payment cycle
    -----------------------
    $120 in sales
    $20 in refunds from sales in this payment period
    $10 in refunds from sales in a previous payment period

The reserve held would be $5 or ( ($120 - $20) * 5% ).

Under this example the $5 would be released to you on the September 1st payment cycle.

-----

sorry heyder, im not going to go thru all THAT just to get narrow minded affiliates to join MY program! they can KMA!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    sorry heyder, im not going to go thru all THAT just to get narrow minded affiliates to join MY program! they can KMA!

btw, how many of the rip off merchants discussed here aer paypal merchants??

ummm, im going to guess none.

what does my payment processing have to do with the integrity of my program??

*baffled*!!

From my experience with trends in customer purchases, by only offering those 2 payment options the program is limiting the number of sales that can be generated. I think the best method is to offer as many different payment options as possible without confusing the customer.

Allison Vivas
    Vice President of Operations
    TopCash.com/SurferSuiteSoftware.com
    Allison@seekio.com

ABW Ambassador
    That's great Allison except it's not always possible. Sure I could offer other options to local Australians, but when it comes to other countries it's impossible. Even if I could accept checks it costs $10 to bank a foreign check and takes 30 days to clear.

You have to consider such things.

One benefit to US affiliates with an Australian program would be no toll free phone leakage of sales. Also, because payments are made by Pay Pal, there are no pending sales - the sale is paid for and will ship right away. Plus I've never had a fraud order through Pay Pal EVER. Another plus - there are less returns due to the shipping rate back to Australia.

With 30 million people using Pay Pal worldwide and a LOT of new people making payments through it every day - I think it's a great way to go.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread