I've been reading lots of negative remarks here and there about the 3 large affiliate programs. I'm EXTREMELY new to all of this and was wondering why (it seems) that many affiliates don't like them. Do they rip affiliates off? What's the scoop?

Twinky

ABW Ambassador
    Think merchant, not network. There are great ones in all the networks and great independents. You just have to find the ones that work for you.

ohhh
    so...its the merchants in the big 3 that tick people off? Or what the merchants in the big three get away with doing?

Twink

ABW Ambassador
    No, what i meant is that there are certain affiliates (shopping applications and/or affiliates other affiliates would call "parasites") in each network. People would like for the networks to kick them out. Problem is that won't ever happen and if they did, the parasites and merchants can still work together. There are merchants in those networks that choose to partner with them. There are merchants that choose not to. What i meant by think merchant, not network is just look for good merchants. There are good merchants in all the networks.

ABW Ambassador
    There are good merchants in all the networks.

Ohhhh
    I get it...
    Thanks for explaining. !

Twink

quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    No, what i meant is that there are certain affiliates (shopping applications and/or affiliates other affiliates would call "parasites") in each network. People would like for the networks to kick them out. Problem is that won't ever happen and if they did, the parasites and merchants can still work together. There are merchants in those networks that choose to partner with them. There are merchants that choose not to. What i meant by think merchant, not network is just look for good merchants. There are good merchants in all the networks.

and parasites
    Forgive me for being dense but again, I am really new to this. A merchant will allow parasites and those parasites do what and to whom? Spam and such?

Twink

quote:
    Originally posted by Adam Ward:

Hey I like your site Adam
    Do you carry any Canadian brands?

Twink

quote:
    Originally posted by Adam Ward:

Adam. Have you shipped into Canada and if so how do you bypass our customs. Smokes in Canada average $10.00 per pkg or $80.00 per carton in canadian funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinky
    and parasites
    Forgive me for being dense but again, I am really new to this. A merchant will allow parasites and those parasites do what and to whom? Spam and such?

I'd like to know too, because I'm really new to all of this also. I was following this thread until about halfway, when you guys lost me....

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackberrybunny
    I'd like to know too, because I'm really new to all of this also. I was following this thread until about halfway, when you guys lost me....
    Greetings, Blackberrybunny. You have a lot of reading to do. If you start here you'll find much of what you need to understand about parasites. Good luck in delving into this very disturbing area of affiliate marketing.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinky
    I've been reading lots of negative remarks here and there about the 3 large affiliate programs. I'm EXTREMELY new to all of this and was wondering why (it seems) that many affiliates don't like them. Do they rip affiliates off? What's the scoop?

Twinky
    While many of us here at ABW prefer to work with merchants on networks such as SAS and Avantlink because they do not allow parasitic affiliates into their networks (see the Parasites forum here to understand what they are) and because they seem to convert much better, it's unrealistic for publishers to not work within all the top networks (SAS, Avantlink, CJ, Performics, Linkshare <---- my particular order of preference).

Try a merchant that fits on your site where you find that merchant. If they don't convert your traffic into sales, replace them with one from another (or the same) network and see what happens. Sometimes, it can be astounding how different one merchant performs over another no matter what network they're on.

I've heard: "it's not the network, it's the merchant" but I can't agree because it's obvious to me that certain network merchants don't convert for me no matter who they are, whether they are ABW members, or whether they are what I consider a "perfect" fit for my site. However, every now and again I'm very pleasantly surprised to find a merchant on a "despised" network converts.

Try them all but watch your reports and see where you make the most money. That will tell you all you need to know.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Very true, I agree with the post that mentioned you have to think of them as individual merchants as opposed to a network as a whole.

Because they are so big, they can be a bit intimidating, also, it may be easier to get away with scams- that's probably why a lot of publisher's do not like them, not to mention the high commission you have to pay to the networks.

Many times when you go in-house you have a lot more options and flexibility.

I also want to know more information about this. Can anyone help and give some advice?

not to mention the high commission you have to pay to the networks.
    @FDC: You're paying commissions to the networks? The networks are supposed to be paying you unless you're the merchant in which case you're not the publisher.

@Agent4U: Read post #11 for the information you're requesting. It helps to read through the previous posts before posting.
    BTW Welcome to ABW,

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread