ABW Ambassador
    It seems that Amazon's 6% commission for non-media products it's quite good for many products (Specially electronics), have you experienced good results compared with specific CJ merchants?

Fer

It is their 24-hour cookie that turns me off.

there are also other distractions.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    Last I heard there was no official announcement yet of the new commissions. They did say they're screwing with the 15% rate for new direct-linked books which may cause me to sever all ties with them.

Amazon screws with the commission rates every 3 months. They never actually get around to removing all $10 commission caps which makes promoting any high value product not worthwhile. They say they will remove caps on electronics this quarter but reduce the rate. The quarterly screwing of rates makes it impractical to create links now that may be worthless three months from now.

I'll steer clear of promoting anything other than the books I promote now.

Wayne

~The local burglar's 'exclusion list' does little to fight crime~

One big plus for Amazon is that they convert better than most other merchants. People know and trust Amazon (or at least most do).

The $10 commission cap is a bit of a negative, but it really only affects items over about $200. I find that items under $200 convert much better and are typically better to promote anyway.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My experience with Amazon's nonmedia products isn't that great. When I am stuck using Amazon (which happens if the original merchant I had for a product dies/closes program) I find that, after a short "honeymoon" period of increased CR, sales for the item in question plummet.

This doesn't apply to electronics since I have yet to see an electronics merchant who both has in-demand products and knows how to pay a decent enough commission to warrant a second look from me, let alone a link...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

Amazon is decent, but they need to remove all of the $10 caps, and they need to update their affiliate reporting. Semi-daily just doesn't cut it, especially since it often slides for several days without updates.

The 24 hour cookie is also a real drawback, and in my opinion these three things alone hold Amazon back. Amazon should be a leader in affiliate marketing, not a follower...

Andy

yep Andy.....double Ditto.......sold a generator via amazon and got $10....sold one via someone on CJ and got $150.....I wont remove Amazon because $10 is $10.....but agree 100% mate.......they need to buck up their ideas or lose a big big share of a growing consumer market.

Happy Christmas,

Malc

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ktmkiddy:
    yep Andy.....double Ditto.......sold a generator via amazon and got $10....sold one via someone on CJ and got $150.....I wont remove Amazon because $10 is $10

So why are you not replacing that Amazon $10 link with the CJ $150 link?

Why still many Amazon links here and there for not-cheap products when other programs pay more?

Ignorant or Lazy Webmasters?

Fer

In defense of ktmkiddy ..... here I am!!

Not lazy... I'd bet anything on that given the nature of our business alone.

I've been in that situation where you know that you could possibly be losing money here or there but you just have way too many irons in the fire to be able to put out all of the fires being started around your ankles.

One of my favorite movies is "Multiplicity" starring Michael Keaton. If I had some carbon copies of "ME" I am completely sure that I could be making a fortune by now..

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

Fer....I do have both links..so thats a potential $160..I give my customers a choice..but as was said earlier...wouldn't it be nice if Amazon totally removed the $10 cap....I got the email this morning that said the cap is going for a "trial" on Electronics......a start I suppose. Amazon....get with it and remove it period !

Malc

I get a lousy EPC equivalent of around $1 with Amazon. Product turnover is extremely high too, so links go out of date quickly.

I haven't created any new Amazon links in ages. It's just not worth the effort.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    There will not be any $10 cap from 1/1/04. They are removing 15% for direct-link books. But now all products are eligible for extra 2.5% when bought through direct-link. Direct-link now means a visitor can click on a product link, browses several pages, then at least purchases the product clicked initially. It is more flexible now. Specially for electronics, I find it much better than the competitors. It can be 6.5% for direct-link. In tiered structure, it is even more. This commission structure is valid for 2 quarters.

thanks for that info

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    There will not be any $10 cap from 1/1/04.
    Can you point out where you saw that? The announcement I read says caps have only been lifted for a few categories for the next 6 months. According to this, if I sell a $1700 table saw, it's good for a fast $10.

Wayne

~Jeopardy Junkie~

ABW Ambassador
    Many of the caps (including on books and kitchens categories) were removed last quarter. They remained on Electronics and a few other categories. Hopefully, this is the first step in killing it off altogether.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    Here is the quote Amazon annoucement board:

"As a test to encourage you to merchandise higher priced items, we are removing the caps for the Electronics product lines. This incentive will be in place for at least two quarters. The base referral rate for Electronics retail purchases will be 4%; for Marketplace purchases, it will be 2.5%."

"Your Earnings Eligible for Bonus will no longer exclude items that have reached a $10 earnings cap."

So no cap in electronics for sure. Electronics probably has the most expensive items. For the rest of the categories:

"For new categories such as Jewelry, Apparel, Gourmet Food, and Sporting Goods, the effective referral rate will be 7.5% with no caps."

ABW Ambassador
    KCEdit, it seems that the last information you posted, is not included in the offical affiliate agreement and program description.

I am not 100% sure, as I got sick of reading the fee structure details...

Fer

I'm surprised to see that cookie thing in about every Amazon topic?
    Don't you guys know there is a way to avoid that issue?

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

ABW Ambassador
    Fer,
    Amazon has an annoucement board (different from general message board). That is official. It is posted there. They also sent an email this week. Another one is supposed to go 1/5/04. You have not received the email, check the email setting under Amazon associate site.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Remy:
    I'm surprised to see that cookie thing in about every Amazon topic?
    Don't you guys know there is a way to avoid that issue?

No idea. Care to explain?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by KCEdit:
    Fer,
    Amazon has an annoucement board (different from general message board). That is official. It is posted there. They also sent an email this week. Another one is supposed to go 1/5/04. You have not received the email, check the email setting under Amazon associate site.

The fact is, that I am not an affiliate, so I could read the program description and fees, has no much sense to give the program real decription only to members, how they are supposed to get new possible affiliates, with that not updated, not clear, not easy program description?

Fer

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread