I'd never seen Snapnames.com before I was rooting around for a domain name at Network Solutions and it came up with "Back Order" which points to Snapnames.

Basically, Snapnames keeps an eye on specific domains for you and registers them when it comes up. It uses Network Solutions for this, (so the registration is a whopping $49). If someone else registers the name before you, or it's renewed you get a credit (you have to prepay for the domain name - that's the deal) so you can use it again. I think it's time limited to a year though.

In addition, only one Snapnames order per domain name is accepted, so there aren't multiple people trying to get the same name at the same time!

As well as aquiring derelict domain names, you can use it as a "guarantee" that your own domain won't fall into the wrong hands if it expires.

The best way to work with this is to use a WHOIS service like allwhois to look for domains coming up soon. There's about a 45 days grace period after expiry though, so it can still take a little while. You can acquire some very, very cool names this way though. If you're lucky you can inherit their old traffic too.

Is it legal? Hmmm.. you'd never get away with purchasing "microsoft.com" with this system - stay clear of trademarks and the like. The best things to go for are generic terms, descriptions and the like.

There are some real gems - consider taleban.com (look it up in whois!). Now *that* would be an interesting name to back order. Too late, someone already has (and no, it wasn't me).

I've got a nice domain name in the pipeline that looks like it might be derelict.. 900 inbound links already in Google, site hasn't been updated for two years with a nice generic name. Wish me luck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo

FYI
    Snapnames are a publisher at CJ [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    3 month EPC $55.04
    7 day EPC $59.22
    Charge-back percent 0.00% [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Woo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] not bad at all!

I feel a diary article coming on.. I have quite a bit of luck getting htem published in ODP.

CJ affiliate or no, it's pretty cool [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

let's say a domain name like yahooauctions.com was available. Would that be trademark problems?

Heyder,

yahooauctions.whatever ..... would be a blatant TM infringement, and registration of such would be expressed bad faith, and actionable!

Haiko

Well,,,,,,, I guess I won't register iwonsearch.com then either. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Basically, Snapnames keeps an eye on specific domains for you and registers them when it comes up. It uses Network Solutions for this, (so the registration is a whopping $49).

Snapnames register via a number of registrars, not just NSI. And if you have any sense, you'll ensure your registration ISN'T via NSI.

>only one Snapnames order per domain name is accepted, so there aren't multiple people trying to get the same name at the same time!

Well, there are actually, you're in the mix with all the other name grabbers. I've beat Snapnames lots of times (more times than they've beat me).

Hi Dynamoo!

I applied to Snapnames recently and got the Third Degree! Man they are keen on keeping their epc high. I had to talk them into accepting me.

Aparantly someone had been sending them massively untargeted traffic and reduced the epc to $2 or so. I think they got a bit upset about that.

I wish there was a decent domain selling merchant at the budget end of things I could promote. Anyone know anything?

f

francis,

I own Domainreserving.com which will continue to offer $10 domains (com, net, org for new transfers and renewals), this time with out the membership fee ... negotiating with third party solution providers for the affiliate program ( 5% commission per ).

Should be finalized within two weeks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

Excellent. Sign me up. I don't like offering customers $40 domains, they'll think I'm an idiot.

Incidentally, Idealab the VC company who put funds into CJ, also have a connection with Snapnames.

f

Hi francis,
    These folks in UK have their own affiliates program and do bargain domain names http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
    (I've no financial connection)
    tmd

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread