I am trying to get my hands on this domain which should have expired. See the dates cutted and pasted from allwhois.com. As you can see below, the domain should have expired already? I know theres a grace period for the user to re-register it, but could it be this long? Am i reading the record wrong? :confused: Any help would be appreciated..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Record last updated on 09-Apr-1999.
    Record expires on 09-Apr-2001.
    Record created on 09-Apr-1999.
    Database last updated on 19-Oct-2001 23:52:00 EDT.

Spelling mistakes
    :rolleyes:

[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: jq ]

I've seen that many many many times before. I am not exactly sure about why but I did inquire to a registerer about a domain they were holding and the responce was that the domain was not forsale.

My guess is that they (the register company) may hold a domain for as long as they want to.

jq,

It was probably registered with nsi (network solutions) and they offer a seriously extended grace period and time till actual deactivation (I've seen up to 5 months) ... If it is a "great" domain ... they'll keep it in their inventory instead of releasing it ... but that is a different matter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Haiko

You're right Haiko, it was registered through network solutions. But that is nearly 7 months????? And it isn't an exceptional name!

Also, what about names of which there is not data on whois, network solutions or anyhting but are registered? Any idea what happened there?

:confused:

jq,

7 months IS a long time ... even for nsi ... but since the many acquisitions and projects I know many names that are in abeyance and I check every day ... I'd say keep checking them .. if it is a good one.

The blank whois info is usually represents a domain that was part of a bulk order by a customer using a co like bulkregister.com. This is not always the case but mostly ... the others are db modifications after registration.

Haiko

Thanks for all the info and i'll keep checking....... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

30-90 days is the norm.

Blatant plug: I recommend Snapnames for this, as they'll monitor it for you.

Take a look at this (yeah it has an affiliate link) which explains some more about it.

It's also got a nice chart explaining the delete cycle.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    7 months is nothing.

Some domains "expired" over 2 year ago, and they still work, with Verisign not lifting a finger.

The "new" registrars generally have an automated system and expiries run like clockwork. Verisign's system is a mish-mash of databases, they have synching problems and many domains slip through the cracks.

Just keep watching it.

Snapnames is OK if you are the first to reserve it, but all the ones I want are reserved as soon as they go on hold. :mad:

Someone has the inside track [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Any ideas?? :confused:

Hmm.. Domain Fishing is tricky.

I saw one thus:

Record last updated on 13-Feb-2001.
    Record expires on 20-Dec-2000.
    Record created on 19-Dec-1995.
    Database last updated on 26-Nov-2001 23:37:00 EST.

I've got some good reservations on at Snapnames, but it's common to find them already gone.

I hit lucky with a couple at Greatdomains, got creepy.org and subj.com for $30 a piece I think. Not fantastic domains, but not bad either.

Tip: check out the listing at http://www.com-2.net/dnreg/one-word-...-for-sale.html - due to an interesting cockup all the one-word domains listed here have expired. I picked up a couple myself, but well worth checking out.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread