Hi. There is a domain I want and it has been vacant -- just a place holder page. I went and checked it again and now there is a page for "Dotcom agency" saying they will sell the site.

I wrote asking how much but have not heard back from them. I have never done this before and have no idea on what to expect. The reason I want the site is that it is similar to my current domain name.

About how much does it usually cost to buy a domain? How does the transfer take place? If you give them the money, how to be sure they will transferr it? How much would you offer on jellyjar.com?

Any advice would be apprechiated!!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

At the risk of sound desparate for my 15% commission, this is the whole point of Snapnames [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It's just been renewed, so it's likely Snapnames could have got it for you for $69.

Yes, it would be a good doamin for you to have, but the art of negotiation is to look like you don't really want it.. so you don't want to let them know that you own JelleyJar.com else the price will magically go up! SO don't email him from your domain, use something else that can't be traced to the domain.

It looks like the owner, [check out the deails on allwhois.com] is a speculator and he certainly owns other names, but he may be interested in a quick sale.

Alternatively, look it up in a years time and see if it's renewed, and if not, use Snapnames to secure it.

Another alternative is to register jellyjar.info or jellyjar.biz.

The technical answer to the query is.. most brokers and agents operate an escrow system where they act as the intermediary, handling the payment and transferring the domain name. I've never heard of dotcomagency, but I suppose they work the same way.

You can check out the valuation at Shoutloud.com but they're estimating it at the pricey end.

Thanks Dynamoo! I still have not heard back from them so maybe they are waiting to see how many offers they get. Ouch, I went to the domain calculator - they do value it high. :eek:

Hopefully he won't want that much, I sure can't afford that!

I will take your advice and go through snap names if I don't hear from him.

Thanks so much for the help!! Wish me luck!

Careful though, the Snap only lasts for 12 months, so it would likely expire before it gets deleted - and that's assuming it doesn't get renewed.

A look at Alexa indicates it's a virtually nil traffic site though, so it should be pretty cheap. I hope [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Vicki,

It's hard to bargain if it's hold by speculator since they can expect to make more than %500 (even for some good domain, much much more....)

If I were you, I won't be worry too much about it, and try to find another nice domain name.

BTW,
    Why won't you register it the first time you saw it available? You know that if it's available, someone may acquire it (especially if it's a good name)

If you need help finding a good domain name that's available, just let me know. I will search it for you.......for free (and no, i'm not going to register it...since i have lots of it already.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])

Well, I got a letter from them, they want $2,500 for it!! :eek:

lol, I told them that was too much for me and all I could offer was $100. But I wished them well in selling it and said if the interest was low and they changed their mind, to let me know.

The reason I did not register it before was someone else all ready had it. They weren't doing anything with it and I even called Network Solutions to see if they would notify me when it came available or if I could go ahead and sign up for it. They said no.

Oh well, I will think of something else for my new site. No problem. Definitly not going to spend that much!!

You live, you learn,

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Vicki ]

There's nothing that really beats a bit of inspiration though. CreepyGuy was my first choice for what I wanted, and I got it. Dynamoo.. well, that was choice #78 after CyberWombat!

Two word compound domain names are the best - you're just unluckly with JellyJar.

Sit down with something alcoholic and Allwhois open and inspiration will come!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread