Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Per MrLeN's suggestion, I post this thread as a "poll" to see who of us has the "Best" domain.

While it is totaly objective, I think it would be easy to vote for the best, but make sure to take the following criteria into account:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> TLD ie .com (worth the most)
    <LI> Number of Words in Domain (length)
    <LI> Does the name have a hypen? (worth less if yes)
    <LI> Is any word in domain misspelled? (worth less if yes)
    <LI> Is any word in domain abbreviated? (worth less if yes)
    <LI> Is the domain generic? (worth more if yes)
    <LI> How easy is domain to say and remember? (worth more if yes)[/list]

Haiko

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Haiko ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>TLD ie .com (worth the most)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I totally disagree. :rolleyes:
    I.e. in Germany a .DE is worth more than a .COM, cuz German people expect German
    sites. And .DEs usually are German.
    So if a .Com or a .Whatever is worth more or less is depending on who you want to visit the site - and nothing else.

Quiet777

Quiet777,

The TLD while it does serve as a local country indicator, the values of domains are based on .com then .net and .org then all the others ... (ie Business.com sold is worth more than Business.de or Business.cc or Business.ws or even Business.tv ...You get my point ; ).

But for "Our" contest we'll take the TLD into less of a criteria!

Haiko

Is this 'contest' about the 'best' domain or the 'most expensive'? And even when it comes to .com = worth more than something else - I still disagree. Staying with ur 'business'. Business.tv is surely way more worth for a business TV station than business.com. (and yes, there are better examples. but i'm tired.)

Quiet777

Quiet777,

A "better" domain is worth more isn't it?

AHEM!

Haiko

If you stick with that TLD-stuff: NO.

A-HEM! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Quiet777,

Ok, so then, this contest will be irrespective of a TLD.

Haiko

Good. Next: ", I post this thread as a "poll" to see who of us has the "Best" domain." - So it is about the 'best', not the most expensive.
    vîrgins.com = more expensive than girlyschool.edu.
    But even tho it might fit, the first name wouldnt be the best for that girls-school. Get my point?

So again: 'best' or 'most expensive' domain name?

Quiet777

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Quiet777 ]

Quiet777,

Best!

Haiko

PS. Maybe later we'll do a worth the most one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Best - for whom?

Quiet777,

Best as perceieved in objective opinions of the fellow members! (Isn't it a poll for that? LOL)

Haiko

You wont get any results.

Quiet777,

Geez ... Now I have to sort through my domains to find the ultra "best" one (not worth the most) to start this off!

Haiko

PS. "You wont get any results." - Yes we will!

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Haiko ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PS. "You wont get any results." - Yes we will!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, sure.. But you wont get any real ones. That is, if you are waiting for a domain *name*. Because it simply not possible to compare *names* without seeing what they are gonna be used for. Ie Graveyard.com for a graveyard and YummyBeaf.com for a ff-restaurant are nice names. Let's mix them. Not so good, huh?

What you might end up with, is:

a)
    cat.com is better than
    smellycat.com is better than
    stinking-cat.com is better than
    1a-deadcat.com is better than
    maggots-indeadcat.teapod.com is better than
    members.aohell.com/cat_is_finally_gone

and b)
    again a pointless fight about TLDs [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quiet777

ABW Ambassador
    I've purchased some real stupid domains during my "Early Years". But one I'm still not so sure about as to if it's stupid or not is:
    adject.com

Sounds like a site for rejected advertisements or something I guess.

Any ideas what I can use it for?

As for my best.
    hmmm
    Trivio.co.uk
    CosmeticRevolution.com

VOTE NOW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Two things:

1. You forgot to add the "type-in" criteria. Many domains get (very targeted) traffic without ever having to worry about getting placement in search engines. The owner of tires.com is laughing all the way to the bank.

2. The purchase of business.com for 7.5 million was not only a crazy decision (business.com is just TOO generic to get worthwhile traffic - evidenced by the fact that it only gets 600,000 visitors/month*) BUT it also led to LOADS of people thinking that since business.com was "worth" 7 mill, businessk.com was worth 700,000 and kbusinessw.com was worth 70,000, leading to MILLIONS of utterly worthless domains being registered and put up for sale on Afternic and Greatdomains.

* see business2.0 aug/sept 2001 pp123/124 - business.com currently costs $1.5 million to run /month and only generates $300,000 in that time. DotBomb stupidity at its best.

Now, are we valuing domains at their current "fire sale" valuation, or based on what revenue they can generate, ignoring SE generated traffic? You can make money on a really crap name if you work the SE's.

I have the best domain, or will have, if or when I get a credit card to pay for it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

It will be 6 letters in length (initial letters of 6 words) and it looks and sounds like a persons name. The domain its self is available, so when I can get it, I will [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have a template that I have been working on for about a month or so now to get the desired layout perfect (no it's not another site in frames) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

When you see it, it'll blow your socks off! :eek:

I only own 2 domains.
    www.ih8shopping.com - site not up yet
    www.allthingsmetal.com

Are these worth anything on the 'cool name' scale?

Phil [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I sort of part-own SERF.ORG, bought in the days when we didn't realise the value of .COMs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My favorite domain I actually own is CreepyGuy.com.. these are some of the rest:

bagofcack.com - this is for an upcoming project [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    grrlfriend.com and variants
    broadcast255.com - as in 255.255.255.255, you either understand or you don't!
    udderwise.com - a cow theme here!

Well, what can I say? Was this a great idea or what? *hehe*

All my ideas are way too kewl :cool:

Members here have made some very good points too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Haiko, I like the way that you presented the thread, although you got some debate as to whether a .com is worth more than others.

I have my 2 cents to throw in to that argument:

Firstly, .com is by FAR more widely known than all the others put together. It is only my preference, but I would never bother with anything but .com unless I were SPECIFICALLY selling a product or service locally.

I would PROBABLY register a local version, such as .com.au (as I live in Australia), but then again, I wouldn't bother, because I know that I would be far better off selling to the rest of the world.

I recently read a report that there are 500,000,000 people online now, (half a billion people, worldwide), and I wouldn't bother sticking to the handful, (in comparison) of surfers in Australia. I would stick to that philosophy no matter which country I lived in.

...besides, there are 250,000,000+ (give or take some *lol*) people living in America, and only 19,000,000 in Australia. Furthermore the Aussie buck is only worth 1/2 a US buck, so if I make $100 out of a Yank (which I have much more chance of), it's $200 by the time it gets here. Many other countries are in the same boat.

Also, not everyone is net literate. It is easy for these people to remember .com, because they have been hearing it for years... ".com this", ".com that", ".com", ".com", ".com"!!!

In my opinion, .com will always be worth more. Another reason is that they are running out. Thats why all the others were released in the first place! Why take scraps because the meat is gone? I'd rather get stuck into the meat thats left on the bone, than to put up with a bowl of plain rice.

Another example is that you can get away with using a business name as a .com!

...if Barney told Fred to look up his new business when he got home that night, Fred would get home and scratch his head about the web address. He would immediately use the business name, ie: BedrockBannanas and I can guarantee that he would whack a .com on the end of it. Not .com.au, not .da, not .org - I am POSITIVE that he would try .com first!

Another really good reason is that I don't know HALF of the domain extensions are in europe. I get really confused - all these dots, and I'm sure that people would have trouble remembering country extensions for domains world wide.

Everyone knows .com, and in my books d-store.com is worth 100 times more than dstore.org and dstore.net or even dstore.com.au put together!

About favorite domain names, I was kinda talking about people that we know. Not larger companies and businesses and corporations, but I guess it's all in good conversation.

The way I would rate a domain name is how well I can remember it. A few that come to mind (whether they are good or not, is beside my point on this one), are http://www.affiliateprogramsthatsu ck.com http://www.commissionsuction.com *It kills me* (Hi Pranav from Mumbai) *lol* http://www.trade-traffic.com

There's three, and I know that they aren't worth much. 'Any of them', but they DID come to mind, so Quiet777 has some good points...

It's not always what a domain looks like at first glance, it can also "come to light", if it is used correctly. Immagination can bring the worth of a domain name up significantly.

Luck can play a part too: http://www.twintowers.com

I made a SERIOUS mistake when I registered http://www.ez0ne.com - and would you believe that the day I registered it I was saying: "I CAN'T believe that it's NOT registered - WOW"!!!

...then three months later, EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE was telling me how great my flash game site was! I don't even HAVE any flash on my site! I mailed the owner of that site ( http://www.ezone.com ), and asked if he would like a link exchange. I explained to him that there are ALOT of people coming to his site, and that if he doesn't want a link, the I will be forced to rename my site. The rest is history, hence: http://www.newezone.com - but I am going to email that guy in 12 months from now, explaining that he had the chance, and he should have taken it, (mainly because I didn't get what I wanted, but I realise http://www.ez0ne.com sucks).

The reason I offered the swap, is that he has a half decent site, but mine will tower over it in 12 months, and I hope he is head-butting the table! *hehe*

Anyway, so what's a domain worth? Who has the best one? No one has made a vote yet, but I will submit my vote as:
    http://www.freetweak.com

MrLeN

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: MrLeN ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>if Barney told Fred to look up his new business when he got home that night, Fred would get home and scratch his head about the web address. He would immediately use the business name, ie: BedrockBannanas and I can guarantee that he would whack a .com on the end of it. Not .com.au, not .da, not .org - I am POSITIVE that he would try .com first!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wont really work, if F & B live in a non-english speaking country. So if those guys would live here in yucky Germany.. Fred would prolly go for GelbeBananen.DE not some weird english dotCOM stuff.

Then you talk about .COM is better for selling worldwide. Okay, I think that is basically true. But then again, look who really sells world-wide. Mostly it is so, that they ship within the continental US and Canada only (if they are US based).

I prefer doing my shopping at .DEs. So I know they wont screw me, they wont add the price of a planeticket for s&h and I know I will get my stuff within max 48 hrs. Plus: I wont need a c-card.. they would send me a simple bill or I will give them the permission to withdraw from my bank-account (which is totally safe, cuz I have like 6weeks to say 'Hey Bank, I want it back.')
    Well, and if i was Fred or Barney, I'd prefer shopping here, cuz of the language.

So again, a .COM isnt automatically better than any other TLD.

Quiet777

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Quiet777 ]

Again about .COM being international..
    Real international operating companies do have other country specific TLDs aswell. (ie AOL.de, MSN.de, IBM.de, Ford.de etc) And guess what - those sites are in the contry specific language (in this case German).
    I'm sure, you do know why.

Quiet777

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Real international operating companies do have other country specific TLDs aswell. (ie AOL.de, MSN.de, IBM.de, Ford.de etc) And guess what - those sites are in the country specific language (in this case German).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes indeed! Country specific marketing has much greater appeal to that countries' market ... kinda like Piggy Wiggly (in the south) advertising in NY , when we can just go to A&P a few blocks away.

Being in the US we all think is .com ... but it isn't just so, although the .com is "perceived" by us all being global, it really isn't.

But, .coms do have a higher value [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] *runs away from rotten tomatoes being hurled at him by Quiet777* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Haiko

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But, .coms do have a higher value <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No, their *real* value isnt higher.

But they are being offered for higher prices. And ppl who dont really think about it, pay those prices.

Quiet777

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast